3c/4as...Please give me advice on to deal....

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
My hair is growing and that is good. The hard part is dealing with shrinkage. I asked this question before, but now I'm going to expand it to make it specific. Can any of u ladies with 3c/4a hair tell me how to keep their curls defined and moist? Can you please give me styling tips? Any regimes that helped you in your natural journey? Any tips will be appreciated. I have prob 7" of hair, but it shrinks up to 3". HELP!

I can't help you with the shrinkage question. I define my curls by doing conditioner washes everyday. I add in a leave in conditoner in addition to moisturizing gel (Scurl pomade, IC fantansia).

As long as you are transitioning or natural, I think you will always have shrinkage, unless you flat-Iron it. I am transitioning and have shrinkage too. I use sheabutter, and profectIv megagrowth for moisture.

HTH

yeah, i think shrinkage is just gonna happen..maybe you can try the shingling method and that would help...

There is no way you can stop shrinkage, especially african-american hair. My hair shrinks up 3-4 inches when actually its past my brastrap, I hate that. I just did a touchup on my new growth and attained 2 inches and when my stylist blew my hair out straight I couldn't beleive it, it was so long. So shrinkage does play tricks on you.

Ok, so I can't get rid of shrinkage. :( I can handle that. Can u ladies give me any tips on hairstyling and hair regimes? My hair stopped responding to daily CWing. Can u help me out? I feel like such a newby! :Blush2: My braid atempts are truly pitiful! :lol:

Shingling seems to help also do define curls you may want to try Ouidad's technique-which is like shingling without heat. Maybe you should change conditioners that way your hair doen't get used to just 1/my siggy pic is a natural look from the ouidad site I'm working on this curly look. Scurl, leave ins-infusium 23, aloe vera gel or juice for keeping hair moist, cholesterol conditioner for deep treatments mango or shea butter elasta qp mango butter is good. 10 en 1 dominican cond, silicon mix cond from sickbay. Conditioner washes, shampoo washes 1 every week or 2 weeks using SLS (sodium lauryl/laureth sulfate) free shampoos are better those dry the hair out alot esp curly hair.

www.sickbay.com
www.curve-salon.com

www.ouidad.com
hth

Last edited:
well i add liquid aloe vera to my conditioner that i use for my daily co washes.

I do a weekly preshampoo treatment of castor oil

I use a mix of glycerine and water as my daily leave-in.

I moisturize at nite with evening primrose oil, apricot kernel oil, sweet almond oil, rosemary oil, wheatgerm oil or shapley's m-t-g.

I hope these tips help you out.

banding can help stretch your hair a teeny tiny little bit, but yeah shrinkage isn't going away unless you get to work w/ a blowdryer/flatiron/hotcomb

I use citre shine making waves curl booster gel to define my curls and scrunch my waves to look a little like curls (got 2 different hairtypes on my head)

Has anyone used Ouidad and been successful? I hate to spend $ on a product that doesn't work. Does anyone here braid their curly hair? I have tecnical difficulties getting the hair to look right. I guess I have to wait for my hair to grow more. I did get a good amount of growth, though. I am now able to almost make a ponytail, although it be a pitifully small one! :lol: Thank you ladies once again for your great advice! I look forward to the day that I am able to make a puff! I am so close...just a few more inches.... :grin:

((Shrugs)). I agree with those who don't seem to get around shrinkage. I do know some women band their hair to loosen the curl. Braidouts and twistouts loosen the curl a bit. A permanent type color also loosens the curl, IIRC.

Honestly, I think there is a yin for every yang. Every hair type has its own unique burden to carry, and each has it's own unique benefit in which to relish. The burden of 4a is shrinkage. You can chemically relax the curl. That is not the panacea either--the benefit of texturizing comes with its own set of challenges and burdens.

Honestly, I think 3c-4b has some of the most unique and noticed textures out there. I think that's a trade-off I'm willing to make for the sake of losing my length (I have no illusions that my mostly 4a natural hair will "appear" anywhere as long as it looks when relaxed).

Good fortune Natrl! :)

You should try sweet almond oil on your hair Ntrlchallenge. Rub it into your hair and then comb it through with a wide-toothed comb. That elongates it a bit.

I recently BC'ed as well and everyday I learn something new about my hair. But my styling options that are working well right now are:

1. Elasta QP Mango Butter - First I put a little sweet almond oil or Kemi oil on my wet hair, then rub the mango butter on. With this my curls stay moisturized for a few hours and my head looks nice and curly. You can also put a little Elasta QP Glaze (the Shining Gel) on.

2. Miss Jessie's Curly Pudding - I rub a little oil in on my wet hair, then put a large dollop of Curly pudding on my head, spreading it pretty evely in the back, with a little extra on the front. Then I rub a little Elasta QP Glaze onto the top, smoothing from my forehead back a couple times.
This style is cool because my hair looks slicked and the curls are elongated, esp. in the front, and after a couple hours and it dries, it dries with a really nice shine and wave pattern.

I'll put some pics up soon for u to see.

Jus stick with it girl, you'll find the best product for you!

Curly Pudding really helped with my shrinkage. My stylist shingled it on according to the directions and my hair truly did look the way it does when its wet - which I like. Not much shrinkage, just my normal "just outta the shower" curls. I know its controversial here, but it worked for me.

Also, my hair is natural. I know someone mentioned that curve salon only showed curly pudding on texturized hair - but it worked well for me!

I think my problem area is mostly the fact that my hair is so curly and I can't do any other styles. My hair laughs at flat irons....the solia, the jilbere, the miniglide...that was such a joke. It damaged my hair horribly too, so I'm warning all to steer clear it the miniglide.it has no heat control and it actully singed my hair off. :mad: All I want is to occasionally wear my hair strait. Maybe my hair is too short for this option. Can anyone give me tips on how to braid or flat twist curly hair? Ack, I am still a newby! :perplexed :lol: I am still determined not to give up my natural hair yet. I am very discouraged right now. I need all the natural hair care advice that I can get. This is my fourth month as a natural and I still can't do anything else other than let my hair be an afro. :cry3: :ohwell:

You have 7 inches of hair in 4 months?

Natrlchallenge said:
My hair is growing and that is good. The hard part is dealing with shrinkage. I asked this question before, but now I'm going to expand it to make it specific. Can any of u ladies with 3c/4a hair tell me how to keep their curls defined and moist? Can you please give me styling tips? Any regimes that helped you in your natural journey? Any tips will be appreciated. I have prob 7" of hair, but it shrinks up to 3". HELP!

Natrlchallenge said:
I think my problem area is mostly the fact that my hair is so curly and I can't do any other styles. My hair laughs at flat irons....the solia, the jilbere, the miniglide...that was such a joke. It damaged my hair horribly too, so I'm warning all to steer clear it the miniglide.it has no heat control and it actully singed my hair off. :mad: All I want is to occasionally wear my hair strait. Maybe my hair is too short for this option. Can anyone give me tips on how to braid or flat twist curly hair? Ack, I am still a newby! :perplexed :lol: I am still determined not to give up my natural hair yet. I am very discouraged right now. I need all the natural hair care advice that I can get. This is my fourth month as a natural and I still can't do anything else other than let my hair be an afro. :cry3: :ohwell:
Maybe you could do, or get some single braids medium sized, not micros that will be worse trouble, then you could moistrize daily while braided up and get length without focusing on your hair right now. And if you learn how to work the products like scurl curly pudding you could have a cute curly-fro going on.

The crown glory method is very good. Check out Den1 and the instructions for how to braid, how long to keep them and washing moisterizing them. The woman who has this site grew her hair from lower neck to waist. Stay away from heat for a while, only for deep conditining treatments which you should do 2x/week to keep the hair soft and moisterized.
Dont be discouraged there are options and hope. hth:D

www.growafrohairlong.com

Thanks guys. I'm just really disappointed in my own lack of skills. My hair is growing with the stinky challenge mix and mtg. This is making me happy, but sad too because my lenght does not show. It shrinks up to like nothing. I gave myself a 6 month no relaxer challenge, butI truly don't think I will ever relax my hair again. If i do something, it will be a very light texturizing. That is at least 4 or 5 months down the line, if i decide to do it. My hair can't take braid extensions, so I will be trying to learn how to braid my own hair. Thanks so much for your support. whoever posted the CWOW method, you are my hero! :notworthy :lol:

BLESSED1 said:
I just peeped that....my hair grows fast but not that darn fast, and I thought I was the only human Chia Pet on here :confused:

Guys, there's been a misunderstanding. My hair was 4" when I bced in 6/15/05. It is now 7". Sorry, but I'm not Chia head! :eek: :lol: I hope this makes the info more clear. I don't think I read your posts right. Ya'll probably thinking I'm :pinocchio ..... :nono: Sorry again! :lol: I've been relaxer free for four months, not that my hair grew 7" in 4 months! I'd be a happy camper if that happened! ;)

Last edited:
Natrlchallenge said:
Guys, there's been a misunderstanding. My hair was 4" when I bced in 6/15/05. It is now 7". Sorry, but I'm not Chia head! :eek: :lol: I hope this makes the info more clear. I don't think I read your posts right. Ya'll probably thinking I'm :pinocchio ..... :nono: Sorry again! :lol: I've been relaxer free for four months, not that my hair grew 7" in 4 months! I'd be a happy camper if that happened! ;)

Ok gotcha ;)

OT: Hola divine mami, long time no see crazy girl :wave:

Shrinkage is totally wacko jacko...but when I notice my hair is thicker...it means that my hair is growing...so I love that part. I know when I get the urge to flat iron my hair...people always think I added tracks...they can't seem to fathom the fact that, "duh my hair one day was curly and short and the next day it is long and straight" If they would take the time and PAY ATTENTION, they'd notice that I used heat to achieve length...lol.

My super staples for defining my some 3c parts 4a texture:

Citre Shine making waves Curl Booster. GREAT STUFF!!

IC hair polisher with sparkle lites...just used this stuff and LOVE IT!

Eboni, such beautiful hair! Thanks for the tips! It will be awhile before my hair is as long as yours! :violin: :lol:

Natrlchallenge said:
Ok, so I can't get rid of shrinkage. :( I can handle that. Can u ladies give me any tips on hairstyling and hair regimes? My hair stopped responding to daily CWing. Can u help me out? I feel like such a newby! :Blush2: My braid atempts are truly pitiful! :lol:

First and foremost, do you need to do a clarifying wash? I know that when my hair stops responding, that I really need to do that. I normally no poo, unless I am in braids. I do poo once in a while w/ one of oyin's shampoo bars and they are the bomb. If I don't have that, I just use either 4tbls of lemon juice to 20oz water, or 4tbls acv to 20oz of water. I rinse my hair, then work in as if it were shampoo, then rinse. My hair is left soft, and clean feeling, not stripped. Then I go ahead w/ my conditioning. It usually does the trick. I don't really wear my hair out all that much, unless I wash and go(aka shake and go). I twist up my hair, and try my best to leave it alone. Daily(if it's hot) or every 3-4 days I will condition wash, and set on magnetic rollers for the night. It dries curled, w/ less shrinkage(you will have to learn w/ it if you stay natural :) ) and feels really soft. After the second condition wash, I just retwist. I don't really let my hair out, unless I am doing a deep condition, or protein tx. Hope that helps. If you are interested in inspirational photos of other naturals or style ideas, just pm me. I have several naturals fotki albums earmarked :)

Back