3 year old with weave!

I don't like that show and don't watch that show. If the weave weren't bad enough, that terrible purple eyeshadow pretty much solidified how utterly ridiculous the whole scene was.

OT: I was in the mall yesterday looking at clothes for the kiddies and it seems we're setting the girls up to get on the heaux track at a pretty young age. The majority of the stock was bikinis and the daisiest of dukes. Why the hell anyone thinks it's appropriate for a young girl to wear shorts at vulva level is beyond me but as far as I'm concerned, this beauty pageant crap is just a different point on the same continuum. I swear...the next two generations are going to be burnt like toast if people don't start exerting ADULT responsibility for the children they choose to bring into the world.

I have no problem w adult women or teens participating in pagents bc there are good and bad aspects and they can make their own decisions but I personally would never allow my young child to enter a pageant.
The makeup, tanning, big fake hair, the outfits, I have issues with all of it at that age.

Did anyone notice how the fathers expressed these same concerns with the girls looking too grown up?

I do recall catching one episode which centered on a black family and the Father was very opposed to the pageant. He first forbid the daughter to compete and then with the mother's pleading allowed it and went in attendance to see for himself. The mother had a ball, teaching her daughter to pose and smile and pout and twirl but the Father just generally looked very displeased. By the end you could tell he still wasn't pleased but allowed it (I also believe the daughter came in first and won some money, which helped). Still I think Father's see adult things being placed on children while the mother's see it as a form of positive expression..

I agree with those who say doing something that made the little girl stand out or enhanced her own natural features would have been preferable but in those competitions it just seems like it'd be a bad decision. Let's put aside this particular black child for a moment. Most of the little white girls who compete don't have all their teeth or have lost one or two. They wear falsies. They're spray-tanned to a whole new shade, painted with foundation, and have big 'ol wigs plopped on top of their heads. False eyelashes and heaps of mascara as well as lipstick cover them up. Their butts are sprayed with hairspray. Heels, bikini's, big grins...I don't agree with it but if I put my daughter in such a competition I would choose to make her fit in.

I still recall one little girl was a real tomboy and while she chose to compete she didn't want to wear the false teeth or a big blond wig and didn't have that perfect practiced poise. You should have seen her little face when she kept losing. The mom even asked her halfway through if she just wanted to leave. By the end she did get an honorable first competitor award (or something like that) but none the less she stood out very sorely from her competition.

I do recall catching one episode which centered on a black family and the Father was very opposed to the pageant. He first forbid the daughter to compete and then with the mother's pleading allowed it and went in attendance to see for himself. The mother had a ball, teaching her daughter to pose and smile and pout and twirl but the Father just generally looked very displeased. By the end you could tell he still wasn't pleased but allowed it (I also believe the daughter came in first and won some money, which helped). Still I think Father's see adult things being placed on children while the mother's see it as a form of positive expression..

I agree with those who say doing something that made the little girl stand out or enhanced her own natural features would have been preferable but in those competitions it just seems like it'd be a bad decision. Let's put aside this particular black child for a moment. Most of the little white girls who compete don't have all their teeth or have lost one or two. They wear falsies. They're spray-tanned to a whole new shade, painted with foundation, and have big 'ol wigs plopped on top of their heads. False eyelashes and heaps of mascara as well as lipstick cover them up. Their butts are sprayed with hairspray. Heels, bikini's, big grins...I don't agree with it but if I put my daughter in such a competition I would choose to make her fit in.

I still recall one little girl was a real tomboy and while she chose to compete she didn't want to wear the false teeth or a big blond wig and didn't have that perfect practiced poise. You should have seen her little face when she kept losing. The mom even asked her halfway through if she just wanted to leave. By the end she did get an honorable first competitor award (or something like that) but none the less she stood out very sorely from her competition.

WHITE DON'T MAKE IT RIGHT!!! just because ignorant white people do it black folks gotta blindly follow along?:nono: i will never ever understand this logic.:spinning:

WHITE DON'T MAKE IT RIGHT!!! just because ignorant white people do it black folks gotta blindly follow along?:nono: i will never ever understand this logic.:spinning:

...You're certainly right about not understanding because I never said white made it right. My entire point is that it isn't a white/black thing but the way the entire system is run. I hope it is more clear now.

I saw that episode as well and your right she stuck out like a sore thumb, I guess in the ideal world you would want them to be praised for being unique and not falling in line with the rest..What exactly are they are looking for in the little girls pagents since they do tend to look alike?

I don't mind pageants which is probably due to the fact that I was a pageant child. My hair was relaxed and no extensions nor fake teeth were used. However, I think it was way different in 1980s. I was a state titleholder in the under 5 division and had over 100 trophies to prove how much work went into it. My mom took me out when I was 4 because I became rebellious. I'm grateful for the experience. It's probably another reason why I can put with the bs of girls who pretend to be women.
I'm thinking that the grandma gave her a weave more as a protective style than anything else. As long as the weave and the makeup are for the pageant only and not everyday then it's okay in my book.

I think the whole system of children's pageants needs to be completely changed. Weren't pageants about building self-confidence, beauty in and out, and talent, as well as contributing to society and getting an education?
Now what the big girls do is what they do because they are older.
These kiddy pageants are teaching these girls nothing but they can only be successful and noticed if they are teased, plucked, shalacked, and primped. They learn absolutely nothing but how to please an audience, act like they are grown, cattiness, and how to wear a flipper. I mean come on people. I've seen these girls in person and it was the scariest ish of my life. Tanning booths, the smell of acrylic, screamin show moms (don't get me started on how they really act at these things), and glitter everywhere...lol

Yes littleluxe my thoughts exactly. If you want to teach your daughter that there are more important things in life that physical beauty why put her in a situation where she's going to be told the exact opposite. These parents want their children to be on a level playing field so they probably give in. Some of them seem to be living through their children and reliving their youth. Not saying its right at all I just don't think a Little Miss Sunshine happy ending is going to happen very often. That's why I wouldn't enter my little girl or boy in a pageant.

Did yall see the one with the little boys? Too much.

Dear Lord are we really teaching our own children that we have to have long silky striaght hair to be pretty? That mom should wash and go her hair and blow dry with a difusser to get her a puffy cute and curly hair. Thta little girl is going to grow up thinking that she looks her best when she looks fake and European. So sad. I see why some black girls grow up hating themselves thinking they are less than attractive compared to women of other cultures.

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...we have to train our babies to love their natural hair...nooooooooooooooo!!!!

She is such a doll. too bad her mother is planting seeds of insecurity in her. I wish my mother never trained me to wear weave and perms as a child, but simply allow me to make those choices as an adult!

This has to stop!!!!!

ITA!!! Not only that, but she was using a tiny toothed comb and the poor baby was tellin her it was hurtin her! :nono::wallbash:

...You're certainly right about not understanding because I never said white made it right. My entire point is that it isn't a white/black thing but the way the entire system is run. I hope it is more clear now.

yea i got your point, but it seems that whenever there is a topic on questionable behaviour by a black person, white folks always get thrown into the mix.

usually when I hear people say, "well White folks do it too" i feel it's to act as a distraction and absolve responsibility for the things that black folks do that are self-destructive, counterproductive, etc.

the black mom can put 20 silky weaves in the black girls hair; but the little black girl will never be seen as equally pretty as the little white girl...cause White privilege makes sure of that.

I saw this on TLC and was disgusted with how they treat these little girls. She wasn't even the worst one on that particular show. They have all those little girls looking like a Pedophile's dream come true. Its awful.

BTW the little girl was so cute LOL All the other girls were wearing weaves and wigs too. She was a little sassy on the show. I would never put a weave on a 3 yr old, but just realize this was for a pageant.

yea i got your point, but it seems that whenever there is a topic on questionable behaviour by a black person, white folks always get thrown into the mix.

In this case the white people were mentioned as a way to explain the grandmother, ie. let's not make this about the black people being the crazy ones for slapping something fake on their child's head and then casually ignore the environment they are in. It isn't about a white/black thing or even a question of skin-tone to me. None of those little girls are wearing their real hair and I personally think that's sad across the board since instead of accepting their personal beauty they are being changed to please adult senses. However, beauty contests across this entire world have this sort of insulated logic, the little girls are all painted up and donned in excessive jewelry and makeup in ways that cause them to resemble living dolls.

usually when I hear people say, "well White folks do it too" i feel it's to act as a distraction and absolve responsibility for the things that black folks do that are self-destructive, counterproductive, etc.

And what the white girls are doing is not also self-destructive, counterproductive? Is the hair they're slapping on their heads any less fake? I know they certainly weren't born with eyelashes touching their eyebrows and perfect white adult teeth in their mouth. That is my point. It IS destructive, however you can not point to 1 individual without examining the environment and in this case the environment is damaging to all the girls because of the system put in place.

I don't excuse the family of that child, I'm saddened by their decision but I also don't believe anyone entering into that competition has any interest in changing the system. The reality is that if that family really wished to celebrate their child's natural beauty I don't think they would be entering her in competitions like that at all. All the girls are judged for not being enough whether white or black.

Their teeth aren't white enough, their lashes aren't long enough, their skin-tone isn't even enough, their smile isn't big enough. Ever seen the process any single girl goes through to get competition ready? It is a near 100% transformation that requires constant grooming.

Because I do not know which would be more damaging painting her up to look like everyone else and she wins, or letting her look like herself and she loses. Either way the hits to her psyche and self-esteem are still happening.

the black mom can put 20 silky weaves in the black girls hair; but the little black girl will never be seen as equally pretty as the little white girl...cause White privilege makes sure of that.

I won't comment on that because I don't personally think it's true.

Last edited:
something is just so wrong about that. and just for the record the little girl looked way better with her natural hair.

I think she would have looked just fine with her natural hair left out and straightened, putting weave on a baby that young could form some self esteem issues down the line...She does look adorable either way though.

http://bossip.com/267739/3-yr-old-g...hurt-i-look-pretty-now-my-hair-is-long-video/

As soon as I read the title I knew you talking about that adorable little girl. I ran across that episode this weekend. I didn't see the install process, but when I saw her in the pagent, I was thinking, did they weave her up for this? I like her natural hair better. She is just so cute. It was funny cuz all she did was sit and cry when she had to perform and her mom was in the crowd trying to get her to do something/anything.

Back