I don't feel like myself when I wear weave. Am I alone?

I feel the same way. I actually took mine out last night because of that feeling. I have actually decided that out would be my last weave.

Marand13 said:

Me too. I've been wearing my hair out since my last touch up and I felt less like myself and scared I wad going to do something to damage my hair lol

Sent from my HTC EVO using LHCF. any spelling errors should be blamed on auto-correct.

When I wear my wigs, I still feel like myself but extra. Depending on the wig I'm wearing I might feel fabulous, edgy, sexy, etc. :lol:

I don't feel like myself either. I was never a weave wearer so that might be why. I feel fine with braids with extensions but my like scalp can't take it. I guess I feel a little less weird with wigs because i can take them off but I do still feel a bit off. My own hair can look like a hot disaster sometimes and usually I feel fine. Go figure.

melissa-bee said:
I've always felt they would make me feel fake and insecure that's why a weave/wig has never been on my head.

It kinda does feel that way. But I still wear wigs from time to time. A weave has never lasted more than a week on my head, but I'm willing to try again.

I would say I'm in the same boat as you. I'm currently in my first sew in ever in my life, and I have mixed feelings. I was always the type that loved that I rocked my real hair and never resorted to weave, and last month, my sister literally begged me to have it put in for her wedding (the wedding party had to wear a specific hairstyle) and I reluctantly agreed to buy some plain ole' hair while she would pay for the installation (she was that desperate for me to wear it!)

I was feeling the MOST anxiety days before the installation. I had people commend me for not wearing weave, and I KNEW I would feel so awkward and self conscious once I had it in. The first few days before the wedding were anxiety hell, lol. I never let the weave down and only kept it in buns or ponytails. However, the complements were ROLLING IN. People were saying the texture looked EXACTLY like my relaxed hair and that I looked so pretty. So after the wedding, I went to town, heat styling and curling and manipulating it in ways that I know would make my real hair cuss at me. It's been a FUN 3 weeks, I was even considering getting another sew-in the day after I take this one out. However, this week (the last week of this sew in, it's coming out Friday!) the anxiety came back. I missed washing and styling my own hair, and I'm way overdue for a relaxer; I don't want to keep heat styling my naps and they're making me even more self conscious because they don't blend. I'm just getting to the point where I feel like it's now starting to look like a shell on my head, that the slightest breeze will blow my real hair in the opposite direction of the tracks and reveal them.

Getting this sew in has done one great thing for me; make me realize how much I appreciate my real hair! All this time has allowed me to leave my hair alone and assess what new steps I want to take with it, start rough drafting a steady regimen and get me excited all over again to see where I can take it. I was getting tired of my hair a month ago, and now, I can't wait to see it in its full glory again :D

I have had 1 sew in in my life...7 yrs ago...and when i was in school i would get braid extensions. I always HATED them!! My scalp would itch and i just felt weird and would seriously miss my hair. I abhorred the sew in bc my scalp was SO dirty after wearing it for almost 2 weeks...i could barely even reach my scalp to scratch it...it just wasn't on my team:nono: That was my first and last time getting a weave:nono:

I feel the same way about false nails too...it just feels weird to me. Like a costume!

I'm glad i found LHCF so i can have my own super long hair to rock!:cool:

pookaloo83 said:
I"m very insecure in weaves and wigs. When I first went natural I wore wigs and felt like everyone was looking at my hairline. I can do braids but not weaves and wigs. I feel funny.

This. Wigs always made me feel insecure. Weave too. I preferred to wear weave to add fullness. But my thin fine hair was impossible to match. I went full weave w. Closure once and felt like a rabbit trapped in a cage. I tried it once again but not for me.

Neither did my hair favors including braids. My hair always came out of fake hair styles damaged and needing a bc. No more. I feel more secure being me and *** what any haters have to say

I love to wear weaves, maybe because my hair is short so the weave makes me feel good about myself. its like seeing into the future.

Back