2011 APL Challenge

Hi Ladies,

It's been a minute, but I thought I'd check in. I got all of my bad ends trimmed, so I'm not too far from APL, so that was a mini set back. I'm currently weaved up until Labor Day so I'll check in with pics then.

Happy Hair Growing!!

CHECKING IN!!

So..uhm... Sunday took my braids out (R.I.P....loved those things!!)---it took a minute because I wanted to make sure I removed all of the shed hair. As I finished a section I braided into one big braid. On Monday I did a REALLY good wash and treatment as follows::

- Pre-pooed with Vo5 Tea Therapy to detangle my hair. Most of my hair had been braided for 2 months straight... and even though I detangled as I removed the extension hair...I was NOT trying to play.
- Washed with Giovanni Clarifying Shampoo followed by Nourish Spa Shampoo
-Applied Aphogee 2 Minute Reconstructor focusing on my ends and rinsed with lukewarm water after 5 minutes
- Deep Conditioned with ORS Replenishing pack for 3 hours (covered twisted hair with plastic cap and then wrapped my towel around my head
- Followed my DC with Nourish Spa Conditioner and rinsed with cold water
- To finish, I detangled a little further, moisturized with Hawaiian Silky 14 in 1 and sealed with a mixture of almond, olive, and castor oil and air dried.

I didn't touch my hair until Wednesday at which time I placed it in a bun...

Not sure what's next...

~S~

I've made APL but I'm going to do an official length check at the end of August/early September, possibly on blowdried hair. I won't be flat ironing until Christmas and hopefully I'm BSL by then!

I blowdried my hair last night and decided to do my length check today since this is our "free weekend" and I'll probably be busy at the end of August. I lightly flat ironed a piece in the back but couldn't get the ends or the edges straight as I normally can, probably because I tried to use a 2 inch flat iron. I obviously need to get rid of that. But anywho, I'm confident that I can make BSL by December. I'll be getting a trim then and hopefully I'll be full BSL by February. Good luck on your hair journey ladies and I can't wait to see everyone's progress pics.

IMG_1321-vi.jpg

LaFemmeNaturelle
oh my word! congrats and i know you will make it before December!

I blowdried my hair last night and decided to do my length check today since this is our "free weekend" and I'll probably be busy at the end of August. I lightly flat ironed a piece in the back but couldn't get the ends or the edges straight as I normally can, probably because I tried to use a 2 inch flat iron. I obviously need to get rid of that. But anywho, I'm confident that I can make BSL by December. I'll be getting a trim then and hopefully I'll be full BSL by February. Good luck on your hair journey ladies and I can't wait to see everyone's progress pics.

IMG_1321-vi.jpg

I'm in! Unofficially, of course. :grin:

I'm natural, CBL.

Reggie:

Daily:

-Wake up and apply random deep conditioner. Leave it on for a few hours.

- Rinse out dc, oil rinse with random oil and cowash.

- Apply leave-in/moisturizer. Massage Claudie's Elixer into my scalp.

- Baggy/GHE overnight.

Other Challenges:

-Delightfully Delicious Deep Conditioning
-Cowashing
-Vitamins
-Oil Challenge (sealing/HOTS/oil rinses)

I'll add a picture later tonight, I'm dc'ing right now. :spinning:

ETA:

My starting pic...
398012060.jpg

Last edited:
Congratulations Beverly Ann Properties and LaFemmeNaturalle on making APL

I was supposed to post my flat ironed hair pics:

Attachments

• 103_0345.JPG
    103_0345.JPG
    394.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 103_0344.jpg
    103_0344.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 34
So super stoked, counting down the days til Sept 24 for my next flat iron! I'm hoping to be like 1/2 inch away from APL.

I just noticed that the hair on my nape hangs a little lower now. Just looking at my progress picture compared to the picture in my siggy made me excited because less of my neck is showing. :woot:

Shrinkage is an a-hole. :lol:

i feel bald today. i thought the blowout would take some of the pressure off and i would have a big fro. it was too much hair for me to handle on my own. but i figured out the best way to blow dry my hair. it has to be damp and i have to have all settings on low, to prevent my hair from curling up. i'm still not finished. i have 3 more sections to do. maybe i can get my mother to help. i twisted the sections i was able to finish. it seems like i have nobody to look at on youtube to get inspiration from. everybody that i watched blow drying tuts hair was way longer than mine. if felt like i couldn't relate. i am really considering texlaxing or heat training. but i know it is too hot to heat train right now. my hair would just be a big poofy mess.

the shrinkage is just really bothering me today. i'm tired of it. i am tired of growing my hair just so it can shrivel back up to 2 inches.

sorry for my rant.

Last edited:
Congrats to the ladies who have reached goals!

Over the weekend I was really, really curious so I flat ironed a small portion from my back. I think I am just at the tip of APL and I believe if I get back on track I will be there in December.

I may give myself a trim now so later when I flat iron my entire end I am not sad at all the dead ends.

I had to do a trim, smh...hated to do it but a 1/2 in had to go. I feel like I'm making very slow progress. I'm not sure why but when i lightly flat ironed my nape for HYH starting pic my ends were thin and straggly. I only comb my hair once or twice a week. I protect my ends with ps like roll tuck pin, buns, and I ALWAYS wear half wigs. I hope joining the baggy challenge will keep my ends healthy because I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Now I'm still 2 1/2-3 in away from APL. I have to buckle down these last 4 months!!

Ok I'm just in here rambling cuz the board is soooo quiet. Or at least the hair section.

So I've been thinking about my next length check, and I have decided in the future I will do all length checks in the front of my body and not in the back for no other reasons is because it's easier and I can see it. :yep:

Now I'm debating whether I will do future length checks with my hair twisted? stretched but not straightened? or straightened? Ok I know... For the APL check I will do all 3 and then I will pick the one I like the best and use that method in the future.

With my hair twisted right now the back of my hair reaches to my color bone. So it looks like I have 1.5 to 2 " to APL. I will probably chop off another inch before December. So we will see how close I am. Sounds like a plan. :yep:

My hair is only 11 inches. It is making me crazy. It was a little longer when I got my trim in June and I re-he-heally don't think we trimmed more than an inch. 11 inches...

AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Frustrated.... :cry: :cry: :cry:

I want to make APL by my birthday!

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using T-Mobile G2

Really hoping to make APL by December but I have to move healthy hair up in the priority list. I may have to cut off 2 to 3" between now and December and not make APL. I'm going to do all that I can now to really improve the health of my hair and retain as much as possible. I will cut off what I need to and hope for the best.

I will be working on a new, healthier regimen August and September

I was sitting here trying to imagine pulling my hair over my shoulder. hmm. Is it easy for you to imagine having hair long enough to pull over your shoulder?

It's been months since I checked in. :blush:
How's everyone doing?

Haven't really done all that much to my hair. It's been braided for the past four months since my cut. Took it out last weekend to start prepping for my relaxer. This will be the first time since I started my hair journey that someone else will relax my hair. I'm nervous, but also excited.

Right now I'm baggying my hair for the first time. Started off simple, there's just cantu Shea butter in there right now. Am I supposed to seal when baggying? I couldn't remember haha.

Hope you all are well!

Hey newnyer - great to hear from you!

Noooo! Not using sulphur and MN at the same time (though the thought had crossed my mind) lol!

I used MN last week then switched to sulphur - felt compelled to try seeing as NJoy got such amazing results. I plan to try this sulphur for a while and if I think the results aren't as good as the MN I will change back to MN, which by the way worked really well in my opinion, but I think that either my hair got used to it (despite me taking breaks to avoid this) and the growth slowed, or that it's just down to being between SL and APL which is just taking the longest time and making me impatient?

I dunno but I HAD to try something new - can't knock the MN though - NL to SL in under 2 months :yep:

Are you using anything currently?

Hey girl! Haven't talked to you in a little while! Are you still using your MN mix?

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using myTouch_4G_Slide

I was sitting here trying to imagine pulling my hair over my shoulder. hmm. Is it easy for you to imagine having hair long enough to pull over your shoulder?

Yes, bc I do it everyday with the wig I wear:lol: It will still feel different though I'm sure when its my real hair.

Back