2011 APL Challenge

Hey ladies! :wave: I'll be cheering everyone on from the sidelines! I'm aiming for APL by the end of the year myself so I love seeing everyone in here making their goal!! :weird:

So I'm rushing to get my babies to camp and school, but I wanted to share with y'all :grin:

I CW'd my hair last night and one of my braids was a little loose. When I unbraided it at the end to re-braid it, I stretched that section and it was just about at APL!!!! Baaaaarely :lol: but it was just about there :grin: :grin:

There is no one in my life that understands how big of a deal this is, so I wanted to share with you guys. 2 more weeks left in these braids, then I'll do a full length check.

Happy growing ladies!!

That's fantastic bride91501. We understand your excitement. Can't wait to see your full length check.

Hey ladies! :wave: I'll be cheering everyone on from the sidelines! I'm aiming for APL by the end of the year myself so I love seeing everyone in here making their goal!! :weird:

Sidelines? Why the sidelines? Come on in here and keep me company on the way to APL. I need you! I need you! :lol:

hey ladies! just checking in :drunk: Congrats on the progress and to all who achieved their goal!! Im just 2 inches away from mines! APL is about 10" on me and im close to 8"... i may be measuring wrong :lol: but atleast i know im there when i get 10". Im 5'6 by the way so if im wrong please correct me :grin: anywho, good luck ladies!!!!!!

So I'm rushing to get my babies to camp and school, but I wanted to share with y'all :grin:

I CW'd my hair last night and one of my braids was a little loose. When I unbraided it at the end to re-braid it, I stretched that section and it was just about at APL!!!! Baaaaarely :lol: but it was just about there :grin: :grin:

There is no one in my life that understands how big of a deal this is, so I wanted to share with you guys. 2 more weeks left in these braids, then I'll do a full length check.

Happy growing ladies!!

bride91501
From TWA to APL in ONE YEAR! OMG! :dance7:

You know I was already inspired by you -- now this is just RIDICULOUS!!!

here are a couple of pics of my progress... im just a few inches away. I think it will be safe to claim APL after October & then off to BSL! My hair is cut in layers... please no setbacks before October :pray:
puff4-1.jpg

puff2-1.jpg

Based on what I was reading yesterday, I think my length might put me at APL right now...but I am scared to get it checked....lol

here are a couple of pics of my progress... im just a few inches away. I think it will be safe to claim APL after October & then off to BSL! My hair is cut in layers... please no setbacks before October :pray:

Are you planning on straightening in October? I couldn't tell by the picture whether your hair was straight or not. Sorry

But you will definitely be able to claim APL. And you might even be close to BSL.

Are you planning on straightening in October? I couldn't tell by the picture whether your hair was straight or not. Sorry

But you will definitely be able to claim APL. And you might even be close to BSL.

yeah, i plan on straightening it then. My hair is damp here so i could stretch it more... i'll be back in a couple months to update when straightened for better pics:)

I hope I'm not late on joining the challenge.

Length:
A little bit pass CBL (natural)
Regimen:
Clarify once a Month.
Shampoo once a week with a sulfate-free shampoo.
Co-Wash every once in awhile.
Deep Condition once a week.
Protein Treatment once month or maybe every 2 months.
Moisturize everyday or ever three days then seal.
Use Growth aids often and styling products if needed.

Vitamins- Alive Multi Liquid and Irwin Naturals Healthy Skin & Hair plus Nails

Styles:Sew-ins, Different Types of Braids, RollerSets, PhonyPony, Straightening every once a blue moon (2 or 3 months)

PS: I don't have anything to post pics with, but if I do take some pictures of any kind I will bring them over here.

Last edited:
Checking in!!

This past week:

Tuesday- I washed and did a mini-deep condition on my braids. Once they were about 95% air dried, I moisturized, sealed, and put my braids in a bun.

Thursday- I took out the entire front half of my braids and the back (edges and the last two rows across the nape). I moisturized, sealed, sectioned my hair and put it in twists.

Friday- I spent the evening re-braiding with fresh (synthetic) hair. Once completed, I aprayed wated and rubbed a little coconut oil over the finished braids and was good to go. ** When I braid with synthetic hair, I ALWAYS remove the “chemical” base from the hair PRIOR to installation and then spray with a leave in or some kind of moisturizer (Hawaiian Silky) as I braid.

Side note 1:: I don’t know WHY I stopped braiding my hair. That was the craziest thing I could have done hair-wise. I just get SO much growth..well not that my hair grows faster, it just seems I have better retention with my braids. More importantly, my hair is always in good condition from installation to removal. Braids allow me to protect and take care of my hair simultaneously and effortlessly. SO…its braids until the end of 2011. I’ll just keep redoing every month.

Side note 2:: As I was re-braiding....I of course, was anxious to see where I was at with regard to length and I am A LOT closer to APL than I initially thought---at least in the back I am. I'm still not claiming it...not yet. I think I'll stay on the plan I outlined for myself, which was APL by summer's end (late September); if I am past APL..well alrighty then!! But either way, I am FOR SURE APL by summer's end.

Attached are a few pictures of my braids and unoffical length check.

Disclaimer: My photographer was unable to assist me with taking these pics, so this is the BEST I could do alone. I apologize in advance if any of the shots have a little lean to them. Just know my official ones, will be taken by my photographer…if she is up to is..LOL

Attachments

• June Braids1.jpg
    June Braids1.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 44
  • June Braids2.jpg
    June Braids2.jpg
    345.5 KB · Views: 44
  • June Braids3.jpg
    June Braids3.jpg
    287.2 KB · Views: 47
  • June Braids4.jpg
    June Braids4.jpg
    308.6 KB · Views: 74
  • June Braids5.jpg
    June Braids5.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 74
Tuesday- I washed and did a mini-deep condition on my braids. Once they were about 95% air dried, I moisturized, sealed, and put my braids in a bun.

Friday- I spent the evening re-braiding with fresh (synthetic) hair. Once completed, I aprayed wated and rubbed a little coconut oil over the finished braids and was good to go. ** When I braid with synthetic hair, I ALWAYS remove the “chemical” base from the hair PRIOR to installation and then spray with a leave in or some kind of moisturizer (Hawaiian Silky) as I braid.
Looks like you are either right at APL or centimeters away from it. You'll definitely be there by Sept.! Way to grow! Nice braids by the way.
I have two questions if you don't mind. How did you go about deep conditioning your hair and having it remain so nice looking? And how do you remove the chemical base from synthetic hair?
I'm getting bored of wigs and was thinking about getting individuals or cornrows with synthetic hair but that stuff makes me itch so bad. :nono:

Ravengirl

1) I deep conditioned prior to installing this new set of braids...so I didn't have to worry about "keeping them nice". Usually I just place whatever I am using in one of those color application bottles and just focus on my scalp. I try not to "handle" my braids too much and I for sure don't rub them. I remove the excess water by squeezing the braids, towel patting and just let them air dry. I still experience some frizziness, but it is usually minimal and only increases as the braids get older, but by that time, I need to re-braid anyway.

2) I remove the chemical base by soaking the synthetic hair in vinegar water. I actually got this trick off the Crown and Glory website. I think the exact directions are there. I don't measure the vinegar...just fill the sink with water and pour until I smell it (maybe half a cup). After about 10-15 minutes I remove the hair and rinse with a cheapy conditioner and let it air dry over night. What I will say is that I find it easiest to braid the synthetic hair tight....when it comes in the pack it is loose and that can lead to tangles if you just soak it out the pack without braiding it tighter. Hope that makes sense.

Sorry so long. And appreicate the compliment!!

@shananyganz: Your braid install looks great and you already look like your APL in the back to me. Your hair is really growing fast and keep doing what your doing because its definitely working :grin:.

i getting there! i'm so excited to see where i will be in Sept! i know i wear my bra strap very low too. excuse the back fat! i am going to start working on that on 7/1.

editing size of pics will be back

IMG_20110628_190253.jpg

IMG_20110628_190524.jpg

Last edited:
you are APL girl! it is time for you to move on to the BSL challenge! :lachen:

Checking in!!

This past week:

Thursday- I took out the entire front half of my braids and the back (edges and the last two rows across the nape). I moisturized, sealed, sectioned my hair and put it in twists.

Side note 1:: I don’t know WHY I stopped braiding my hair. That was the craziest thing I could have done hair-wise. I just get SO much growth..well not that my hair grows faster, it just seems I have better retention with my braids. More importantly, my hair is always in good condition from installation to removal. Braids allow me to protect and take care of my hair simultaneously and effortlessly. SO…its braids until the end of 2011. I’ll just keep redoing every month.

Side note 2:: As I was re-braiding....I of course, was anxious to see where I was at with regard to length and I am A LOT closer to APL than I initially thought---at least in the back I am. I'm still not claiming it...not yet. I think I'll stay on the plan I outlined for myself, which was APL by summer's end (late September); if I am past APL..well alrighty then!! But either way, I am FOR SURE APL by summer's end.

Attached are a few pictures of my braids and unoffical length check.

Disclaimer: My photographer was unable to assist me with taking these pics, so this is the BEST I could do alone. I apologize in advance if any of the shots have a little lean to them. Just know my official ones, will be taken by my photographer…if she is up to is..LOL

You ladies are SO encouraging!!! Even as you kick me out...LOL

But---since I'm also factoring in a trim...I'll still wait to grow some more; its my way of ensuring I am not butt hurt once those ends are clipped. For me APL will be my longest length EVER...and I just want it to look a certain way... Call me crazy, but that is just how I think. :blush:

~S~

Well here I am too.
I have about 3 solid inches and 6 months to go. I am getting a sew in tomorrow and plan to be sewed up for the remaining six months.

hairjune2011017-vi.jpg

Back