2011 *All-Encompassing* End-of-Year Reveals!

Identify your 2011 progress. (length, edges, thickness, etc.)

My hair grew a good amount. It's finally starting to thicken back up after my coloring incident.

What thing(s) do you feel contributed the MOST to your progress?

More PSing, less laziness in general.

What challenges did you participate in during 2011?

No challenges, but I was part of the "APL CLASS OF 2011" thread.

What's your key word of advice for strong, healthy hair?

If you hair is super fine, stay away from chemicals of any kind.

Is there anything you'll change in 2012?

I won't be coloring next year. I'm happy with everything else.

Okay, so some of you may remember that I dyed and cut my hair back in February. It looked and felt great right after the salon, but as the months went by I realized how much damage had been inflicted on my hair because of the dye. I've lost a lot more hair than I needed to over this year, so I was pretty sure I wouldn't hit APL. Well, I blew out and (lightly) flat ironed my hair today, and to my surprise I think I'm there! My thickness is finally coming back, too. Pictures:

February 15th, the day i cut and dyed:
DSCF1663.JPG

DSCF1664.jpg

Today:
SAM_0065.jpg

SAM_0067.jpg

Ignore that face. Finals are killing me.

I haven't been taking many pictures at all lately, but I wanted to show a difference in the way it looks curly, as well.

Braidout March 2011:
DSCF1760.JPG

Braidout November 2011:
SAM_0028.jpg

Saving my spot. I'll post pics by the end of the week.

Sent from Topnotch1010's Samsung Galaxy Tablet using LHCF

Thanks for this thread, OP - so convenient.
Be back on Jan. 1!

eta: Forgot I posted here - update is at post #104

Last edited:
Hey ladies! I did my challenge reveals & forgot all about this thread. Tsk Tsk :(

I did my Intro on the 2nd page of this thread. I did the BSL2011 & MBL2011 challenges this year. My end of the year reveal is in my siggy. HHJ LADIES!

Sent from my LG-MS690 using LG-MS690

Hey ladies! I did my challenge reveals & forgot all about this thread. Tsk Tsk :(

I did my Intro on the 2nd page of this thread. I did the BSL2011 & MBL2011 challenges this year. My end of the year reveal is in my siggy. HHJ LADIES!

Sent from my LG-MS690 using LG-MS690

Great progress. You went from APl to MBL in a year. Fantastic. Can't wait to see your hair next year.

Length. I went from almost BSL to a little bit past MBL.

Low manipulation. I stayed as consistent as I could this year by protective styling, whether intentionally, or unintentionally.

I don't remember if I was officially in a challenge, but my own personal goal was to make MBL.

Sticking to a regimen and straying only when necessary.

Nothing really, I'll probably get lazier because it's getting longer. But my styles won't really change. I am trying though to use more natural products in my regimen.

Dec. 2010, almost BSL. The line is where my hair is.
P1010703.jpg

This November, the line is where my bra ends.
PA310054.jpg

Same day, the line is where WL is on me.
PA310058-2.jpg

Hair from the front.
PC050175.jpg

I retained length and improved my ends. I'm still working on thickness, but small steps, right? :)

Low manipulation styles, deep conditioning, trimming my ends when needed.

I entered many, but I didn't keep up with them...:look: I entered but didn't actively post in the Deep conditioning challenge, but I DC'd every Saturday or Sunday. I also spent most of the year in plaits or prairie braids. It was a boring year style wise, but I got great results! :)

Simple. When I replaced my multi-step and multi-product regime with the super simple one that I have now, I enjoyed doing my hair, and actually took better care of it.

I am not going to use heat for 2012. I'm in the no heat challenge. And I'm going to try and work on learning more styles aside from my typical plaits.

******In the pics, the before is January 1, 2011 and the after is from December 4, 2011 - I know it's not quite a year, but I'm not going to straighten with heat anymore this year, so I'm using this as my after pic. *******

Last edited:
I had alot of setbacks at the beginning of this year. My hair was CBL to SL; now my hair is grazing APL. I was able to thicken up my hair and my crown is growing.

Protective Styling and JBCO.

None, I don't think. :look:

Keeping it simple. Not trying out everything, paying attention to your hair. For example, I recently realized the tools I was using was contributing to my hair loss.

I will be using better tools...Like the seamless combs, avoiding brushes and taking my tie with my hair.

12/2010 (first Picture) 12/2011 last picture

Attachments

• P1020271 (800x600).jpg
    P1020271 (800x600).jpg
    278 KB · Views: 229
  • Hair Progress (800x449).jpg
    Hair Progress (800x449).jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 307
  • Identify your 2011 progress. (length, edges, thickness, etc.)
  • Regrew my front and side edges after 2010 setback
  • Gained thickness with consitant ayurvedic regi
  • Length gains TBD after December Flat Iron: ETA: NONE. :look:
    [*]What thing(s) do you feel contributed the MOST to your progress?
    [*]A mostly Ayurvedic regi
    [*]Exercise
    [*]Gaining a better understanding of MY hair
    [*]What challenges did you participate in during 2011?
    [*]BSL 2011= FAIL. I trimmed at least 4 inches of hair this year. i'll be glad if my hair is CBL at this point!
    [*]What's your key word of advice for strong, healthy hair?

CONSISTANCY

[*]Is there anything you'll change in 2012?
    No. My hair is thriving on my current regi. I'm gonna rock it til the wheels fall off!
  • Saving my spot for the December Flat Iron: ETA ADD PIC
2009_10230007-1.jpg

Last edited:
Charla, Thank you so much!!! :) Since I needed a trim, I got my hair done professionally. That woman nearly made me re-think the No Heat challenge for 2012! :) I loved that look, but I was scared to death it wouldn't curl up again. (Thank goodness it did - no heat damage.)

I went from SL to bonified APL

Low Manipulation and WEAVES!!!!

None....

Listen to what YOUR hair needs. I really had to stop with the PJism because I FINALLY realized that not all results are created equal. I got my reggie and its surprisingly simple.

Not for now... I'll probably be weaving until MBL, definitely BSL. I am going through a lazy phase with my hair and if it ain't broke don't fix it... At least for now:grin:

Grabbing a spot...

I'll update with pics at the end of the year.

• Identify your 2011 progress. (length, edges, thickness, etc.)
Length
  • What thing(s) do you feel contributed the MOST to your
Low manipulation, hiding hair, moisturizing regularly

• progress?
  • What challenges did you participate in during 2011?
HYH (Hide Your Hair)
  • What's your key word of advice for strong, healthy hair?
I think moisture with low manipulation works for me
  • Is there anything you'll change in 2012?
I think I will try at least one weave for hiding my hair in 2012.

Last edited:

I have manage to retain some length, I'm slowly growing back hair in my balding areas, and my hair is starting to thickening up some.

Protective styling, my oil blend, and keeping my hair in a stretch state using braids or curlformers.

2011 APL Challenge (Goal Accomplished :grin:)

I'm in no position to offer any advice cuz I'm still learning my hair :lol:. However, what I've learned from faithVA is to keep it simple and stop jumping from product to product. Which now I'm finally doing :yep:.

I will try to do more twist styles and experiment with other protective styles, and really focus on my moisture/ protein balance.

1st pic- 6 month mark May 2011
2nd pic-length check-APL Dec 2011
3rd pic-(I will edit once I flat iron for my official length check)
I will be doing my official length check the end of next week. I'll be flat ironing so that I can trim during the new moon phase :grin:. Btw I'm natural ya'll :grin:.

ETA: Removed starting pic since it was in 2010. I did not flat iron @ the beginning of this year.
ETA: I've flat ironed today but I couldn't get it super straight, but here are my pics.

Attachments

• IMG-20110514-00251.jpg
    IMG-20110514-00251.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 204
  • APL.jpg
    APL.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 207
  • Front11.jpg
    Front11.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 121
  • Back11.jpg
    Back11.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 119
  • Dec11.jpg
    Dec11.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
I'll be doing a bone straight flat-iron and length check in January - Saving me a spot and subbing!!!! woo hooo

Wow! tashboog 2011 was your year! ummm...can I get that oil blend recipe plz!
I wouldn't say it was my year cuz I did have a minor set back due to the SSK's so it seems like I was always cutting them suckas out of my hair :lol:. Thanks so much for the shout out :grin:! My oil blend consist of emu oil as the main oil then I use 10 drops rosemary eo, 10 drops tea tree eo, regular castor oil, and evening primrose oil. I don't measure the oils, I just throw it in the emu oil bottle :lol:. HTH :grin:!

tashboog, you had some great growth!!! I can't wait to see your final reveal! :)
I can't take any credit cuz you have been deceived :lol:. The original starting pic was from the end of 2010 and not from 2011. Starting pic was from the last time I flat ironed my hair in 2010 (I did not flat iron at the beginning of 2011). I didn't mean to mislead you sorry :nono:. I have recently removed my original starting pic and so now the 2 pics are from 2011. However, I have come a long way since the original starting pic that I'd removed :grin:.

Last edited:
Length and some thickness...but mostly length.
Low Mani, weekly DC's, satin scarves/pillows.

None.

LOW MANI! I have fine strands so the less I manipulate, the less I break, it is that simple. If I keep it moisturized and don't harshly brush/comb it, I will retain length.

Being more consistent with my vitamins and protein treatments. I also plan on hiding my hair in braids for the first six months of the year.

Attachments

• February 2011 Back.jpg
    February 2011 Back.jpg
    335.6 KB · Views: 191
  • December 2011 Back.jpg
    December 2011 Back.jpg
    322.9 KB · Views: 184
  • February 2011 Front.jpg
    February 2011 Front.jpg
    347 KB · Views: 176
  • December 2011 Front.jpg
    December 2011 Front.jpg
    302.2 KB · Views: 182
  • December 2011 Bra.jpg
    December 2011 Bra.jpg
    356.3 KB · Views: 193

I was trying to reach APL and now I'm a thick MBL U with almost no knots and sno split ends, something that has never happened, so I'm happy. The shorter layer is past APL and I can make a real bun and my braidout looks good, yay!

Low manipulation, keeping hair stretched, daily water/oil, finger detangling.

none lol sorry sorry, I'm lazy I guess!

keep it simple and keep it conditioned!

I really like cowashing with cheap conditioners every 3-4days now, it makes my life so much easier and my hair loves the water. I also like air drying quickly in braids without product and adding my leave ins onlyafterwards: much easier life.
I also think... drum rolls... protein is only a complication for me, I don't think I'm going to use it anymore unless my hair feels mushy one day.

Last edited:
Back