2009: 52 weeks of protective styles

Late again with WEEK 7. Tomorrow is WEEK 8! :blush:

Anyhow, this week is a technique, not a style. It is....
THE PONYTAIL ROLLERSET!

There have been lots of posts on this lately. SparklingFlame even has a YT tutorial. Well my version does not require any elastics, for those of you who don't want to use them.

Day 1: I wear my favorite, the wet bun. :look: This is great for a lazy day, plus it smooths down my roots like crazy!

Day 2: I take down the bun and roll the bottom of my hair with 6 rollers, sleep in them overnight.

The next morning I have curly ends which are a great base for other PS such as buns, french rolls and curly ponytails. I really like this method and plan on doing it a lot more!

Here's a french roll:

img589.jpg

My version of the Southern Tease. I did this on 2/14/08 for valentines day. I love this theard b/c I'm so tired of my boring pony.

HomeTrip022-1.jpg

Last edited:
I definitely I have to follow this thread, I used to be so good with PS, now I’m kinda’ slacking up. I know I’m late but I’ll start next week. This should be an incentive to keep up with all of the other “no heat” challenges I have going on.

Butterfly, how often do you relax your hair???

OMG, YOU READ MY MIND! WEEK 8's STYLE IS......(drum roll please)

THE SOUTHERN TEASE BUN!!!

I will edit my post tomorrow with my version. :yep: I love the ST bun, it's so easy, yet looks intricate and makes your bun so full. For ladies that are not familiar with the technique, here are links. It literally takes her less than a minute to do! :blush:

Version 1 on relaxed hair:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_-XBalPjVg

Version 2 on natural hair:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pc3BzePp9VA&feature=channel_page

My version of the Southern Tease. I did this on 2/14/08 for valentines day. I love this theard b/c I'm so tired of my boring pony.

HomeTrip022-1.jpg

Butterfly, how often do you relax your hair???

Last year it was every 3 months, this year I am shooting for every 4 (I'll be 15 weeks post tomorrow). Next year I will shoot for every 5. The only problem is I have blonde highlights and going too long without a touch up looks bad. :ohwell: I may have to darken the color so I can go longer. I'm addicted to stretching now, my hair has gotten crazy thick and I love my tiny little waves. :lick:

Last year it was every 3 months, this year I am shooting for every 4 (I'll be 15 weeks post tomorrow). Next year I will shoot for every 5. The only problem is I have blonde highlights and going too long without a touch up looks bad. :ohwell: I may have to darken the color so I can go longer. I'm addicted to stretching now, my hair has gotten crazy thick and I love my tiny little waves. :lick:

Wow! that's something to consider, I never thought I could stretch for 3 months when I first did it but I’ve done it all this time and it works. Keep up the good work, your hair looks really good. I’ll be joining you guys, I need some incentive, I have to retain they most I can so I can get a nice 4” trim :perplexed so keep up the ideas coming…..;)

Gorgeous! But I know you're not going to post this fab bun and not give instructions :look:

Hi :wave:

I posted links to the original ST bun instructions on YT

Wow! that's something to consider, I never thought I could stretch for 3 months when I first did it but I’ve done it all this time and it works. Keep up the good work, your hair looks really good. I’ll be joining you guys, I need some incentive, I have to retain they most I can so I can get a nice 4” trim :perplexed so keep up the ideas coming…..;)

Stretching DEFINITALY gets easier every time! :yep: I *thought* I was getting my hair done in 2 weeks but now it looks like it will actually be 5. My hairdresser is out of town so I can only go on Saturdays, and she is booked. :ohwell: So I'll be coming up with more ways to PS with lots of roots. :lol:

Those are really cool, Cat Eyes! I'm especially curious about how you did the 6th one down.

Anyone have any cute ideas using scarves? I liked the faux bob! Any more?

Can't wait to take out my braids so I can try some of these!

Those are really cool, Cat Eyes! I'm especially curious about how you did the 6th one down.

Anyone have any cute ideas using scarves? I liked the faux bob! Any more?

Can't wait to take out my braids so I can try some of these!

Cool..All of the bob's is my hair expect the last picture. The six picture I just twirled my hair to the side then pin with booby pins real simple. I want to start using scarves too.

Hi :wave:

I posted links to the original ST bun instructions on YT

Stretching DEFINITALY gets easier every time! :yep: I *thought* I was getting my hair done in 2 weeks but now it looks like it will actually be 5. My hairdresser is out of town so I can only go on Saturdays, and she is booked. :ohwell: So I'll be coming up with more ways to PS with lots of roots. :lol:

more power to you girl, I would prob start streching longer this year too :yep:

So I'm joining you girls like I said. This week I’m starting with a French roll with flexirod ends, don’t have a name for it (maybe a curly French roll :look:) but here what I did.

Parted my hair like if I going to do a half down, half up:

P1310066.jpg

Get the top out of the way and do a French roll at the bottom, secure it with bobby pins:

P1310067.jpg

Get the ends of the French roll and put it together with the top to do a loose pony tail:

P1310068.jpg

I put 6 ½” flexirods on the pony:

P1310071.jpg

Sit under the dryer (I rewet my hair to set the curls) or air dry overnight. Comb your sides so that your part doesn't show, put the hair assc. of your choice. It looks like this when is done:

P1310072.jpg

P1310073.jpg

P1310074.jpg

P1310075.jpg

P1310076.jpg

P1310077.jpg

That's all folks!!!

So I'm joining you girls like I said. This week I’m starting with a French roll with flexirod ends, don’t have a name for it (maybe a curly French roll :look:) but here what I did.

Parted my hair like if I going to do a half down, half up:

P1310066.jpg

Get the top out of the way and do a French roll at the bottom, secure it with bobby pins:

P1310067.jpg

Get the ends of the French roll and put it together with the top to do a loose pony tail:

P1310068.jpg

I put 6 ½” flexirods on the pony:

P1310071.jpg

Sit under the dryer (I rewet my hair to set the curls) or air dry overnight. Comb your sides so that your part doesn't show, put the hair assc. of your choice. It looks like this when is done:

P1310072.jpg

P1310073.jpg

P1310074.jpg

P1310075.jpg

P1310076.jpg

P1310077.jpg

That's all folks!!!

Your hair looks great!!! Thank you so much for sharing this tutorial with us. I will definitely have to try this.

Here is all my updo's protective styling.

232323232%7Ffp4324%3A%3Enu%3D3237%3E375%3E2%3B3%3EWSNRCG%3D32339935%3C2%3C6%3Cnu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp43237%3Enu%3D3237%3E375%3E2%3B3%3EWSNRCG%3D323348%3B8%3A%3A64%3Bnu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp%3B5%3Dot%3E2328%3D466%3D3%3A4%3DXROQDF%3E2323%3A84636%3A55ot1lsi

232323232%7Ffp%3B%3A%3Dot%3E2328%3D466%3D3%3A4%3DXROQDF%3E2323%3A84636%3A6%3Aot1lsi

These look so elegant, and I love the way you accessorize! It makes your PS look intentional, not broke down tryna protect your ends. :lol:

P1310074.jpg

P1310075.jpg

P1310076.jpg

P1310077.jpg

That's all folks!!!

This is a neat idea...I will have to try it. :scratchch I love your technique!

Cat Eyes your styles are so elegant!!
The Southern Tease Bun is the greatest style ever invented! Ha Ha! I only have *snap* this much hair and I can do it. And it looks cute. I dressed it up with some flowers...

Attachments

• STB 002.jpg
    STB 002.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 49
  • STB 003.jpg
    STB 003.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 42
Beautiful, Wavezncurls! May I ask, how often do you take your style down? I was reading a thread where a young lady was trying to figure out if she could make her protective style and then leave it in for three or four days, if it was not tight, at all. What do you think?

Cat Eyes your styles are so elegant!!
The Southern Tease Bun is the greatest style ever invented! Ha Ha! I only have *snap* this much hair and I can do it. And it looks cute. I dressed it up with some flowers...

This is soooo cute! I love the orchids! They look great with your hair. This style is so simple and yet you could wear this hair to smth formal even!

Beautiful, Wavezncurls! May I ask, how often do you take your style down? I was reading a thread where a young lady was trying to figure out if she could make her protective style and then leave it in for three or four days, if it was not tight, at all. What do you think?

I do mine daily- well, sometimes it might last two days if I can keep my scarf on all night. Not very convenient huh? I can't seem to do 2nd day hair for the life of me.

Back