$200 Reasonable?

laurend085

I texted my stylist regarding a full head sew in since this is what i want to get next to help grow out my hair. This is what she texted back.

"A full sew in, I spot perm hair leaving out and deep condition it is $250, but if you come with ur hair ready to be sewn in u have shampoo and cond. it is $200. It last for 3 and a half months, really grows the hair out.

She said it takes her about 4 hours and that's why the cost is high and it's alot of work. What do you think?

it shouldnt take 4 hours to do a sew in...... unless she plans on doing other clients hair and making you sit under the dryer/ wait for 2 hours

Im not sure this is reasonable. I dont usually goto shops for sew-ins but I wouldnt pay more than $150 and it better b really good. Because you also have to pay money for your hair. She must b really slow b/c it shouldnt take 4 hrs but it also depends on if your hair is really long. My hair is neck length it take about 2hrs for everything. I also dont recommend leaving your sew-in for more than 2 months and make sure you keep your hair mosisturized underneath.

When I was getting sew ins my stylist charges $200 but she shampoos and conditioners your hair and that price also includes a razor cut and style. It always took her about 3-4hrs to do my hair alone because I get net weave done and she braids my hair in smaill braids underneath the net.

im in ATL & $200 for a full sew-in sounds about right. however, there are some places i know that charge $140 but that is on the low end.

That sounds about right. It should take about 3 hours to do a sew in. Depends on how fast the person braids. I normally pay $250 and he washes, shampoos, deep conditions, and then cuts and styles the weave. It takes about 3 hours start to finish. Sometimes a little longer.

it shouldnt take 4 hours to do a sew in...... unless she plans on doing other clients hair and making you sit under the dryer/ wait for 2 hours

4 hours isn't outrageous for a full head sew in. On average in my experience it has taken maybe 2.5 to 3.5 hours. And that's with them only working on my head not other clients at the same time. It depends on how fast the braider braids, how small the braids are, how much cutting and styling is required, if they have an assistant, etc. If OP is coming with her hair already washed and ready to go it shouldn't take that long though.

Yeah that sounds about right, unfortunately. What part of TX are you in, if you don't mind me asking?

sew-ins are typically a $100 and up---every person charges a diff set of prices---depending on various variables--me personally

u kinda pay for someones skills--i only get a sewn-in from one stylist
everyone cant do a sewn-in great--

a sewn is is basically corn rows and a needle thread and some hair--everyone does it differently---but i believe you get what you pay for--i

Yes, that definitely sounds about right for price and time, although I think it should be closer to 3 to 3.5 hours. She is just giving you an estimate probably estimated on the higher side just in case. Several factors contribute to the length of time it takes, and without knowing all of that, she can only gauge the time as best she can.

Good luck, and post pics!

That actually sounds a little cheap to me, especially when I know a stylist that charges 320 for a full for first time customers, which that price DOES NOT include the price you pay for high quality hair from her. But her weave skills are on another level...she's on some celebrity type "that looks like its growing from your scalp" stuff lol.

The place I go to charges 600.00 for a full sew in. I have never had one but that is how much she charges.

At the salon I use to frequent before I found my new chick, she charged 150-180.00 for a full head sew in. And that was in Dallas off of 635 and Monfort.

So I say 200.00 is reasonable for a salon sew in..

$600 is a bit much....

$200-250 is fair considering you are paying for skill vs. time. You want the sew-in to look natural. That's key to have me fully satisfied. I don't do places that don't charge a cheap price because to me it's like saying their skills are questionable.

It's not always like that but it does make me wary.

Whoa. :shocked: sounds like a part of my mortgage
LOL I know I know. It's over the top! That is an amount of money that I just can't justify. That's half of the payment of the MAC laptop that I want! Shoot. Then she charges 450 for a partial IF u already have the hair. She is somewhat of a celebrity stylist. My thing is at least have a separate price list for us regular folk. GEEZ.

I got mine done a couple of weeks ago. She trimmed the spilts, high-fived my texlaxation, washed, conditioned, dried, braided, sewed-in, and razor cut the hair for $100 even in a couple of hours. She said that she has to keep a competitive price. I've been recommending her to everyone.

If she's a celebrity stylist, then I guess thats right.

I got mine done a couple of weeks ago. She trimmed the spilts, high-fived my texlaxation, washed, conditioned, dried, braided, sewed-in, and razor cut the hair for $100 even in a couple of hours. She said that she has to keep a competitive price. I've been recommending her to everyone.

If she's a celebrity stylist, then I guess thats right.
Really? Do you have any pics? Where r u located, if u don't mind me asking?

The place I go to charges 600.00 for a full sew in. I have never had one but that is how much she charges.

Is the hair included with that price?!?! Will I be given a full body massage and spa treatment at the same time?! Otherwise I can not justify that price. :nono:

When I was getting sew ins the price was always $200. This was in Queens NY.

That included taking down the prior sew-in, texlaxing my hair, wash, deep condition, drying, cornrowing my hair, sew-in, and cutting the hair.

I have seen specials in my area (Brooklyn) for $60 on Wednesday but all I see coming out of that shop on Wednesday is the china doll look with leave out hair at the crown & bangs.

ETA - the hair is NOT included in the $200 price.

Last edited:
this is the exact reason my sisters and I install each others weaves.

I'll be damned if ill ever pay $200 (£120) for an install. And then to have to shell out more money on the hair itself... Hell no

The most ive ever spent is about £70 on hair and £8 for a cut and style at a local hairdressers

Yes, I am cheap, lol

Man... this thread has me contemplating taking the train into the city (NYC) to get a sew in done. My DIY attempts were always :shocked: :nono: :cry3: maybe if I had a professional do it???

Can anyone tell me how likely it is that a shop in Queens would have difficulty installing a full head sew-in on someone my length? I know it's not every day that the stylists do that.

I've never seen the BEFORES so I am not sure of the hair length of the clients but the place that I saw with a $60 weave special is called Kapella's on Myrtle Ave in Brooklyn. In the summer I see lots of ladies with china doll weaves (with the crown left out for blending) and bangs coming out of there. They are near Karen's Body Beautiful.

The price may have changed and I do not know the dates/times for the special

417 Myrtle Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11205-2426
(718) 222-3434

There are reviews here (from 2008) which talk about the pricing.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/kapellas-hair-salon-brooklyn

I am not recommending this place as I have NEVER used them for a sew-in weave. I am just posting the info. as a place with cheap sew-in prices.

Man... this thread has me contemplating taking the train into the city (NYC) to get a sew in done. My DIY attempts were always :shocked: :nono: :cry3: maybe if I had a professional do it???

Can anyone tell me how likely it is that a shop in Queens would have difficulty installing a full head sew-in on someone my length? I know it's not every day that the stylists do that.

Stylist making $50/hour? I need to revisit cosmetology school...

I got a full sew in when I was in Paris, France for 30 euros :lol: It looked like I paid 30 euros too!

Back