1st Twistout As A Natural *PIC*

sonychari

Not a total fail but not as nice as I wanted. I definitely need to trim my ends--don't know if they're heat damaged or leftover relaxed hair.

I used too much product and so had lots of white flakes when untwisting this morning. I used 8 big twists in the back, which caused the back to be not very defined. I used 16 twists in the front, which was just okay.

What do you do/use to get your best twistout?

How do I upload more than one pic at a time?

Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    289.8 KB · Views: 442
Not a total fail but not as nice as I wanted. I definitely need to trim my ends--don't know if they're heat damaged or leftover relaxed hair. I used too much product and so had lots of white flakes when untwisting this morning. I used 8 big twists in the back, which caused the back to be not very defined. I used 16 twists in the front, which was just okay. What do you do/use to get your best twistout? How do I upload more than one pic at a time? Thanks!

Did u flat twist?

Congrats on achieving your 1st twistout. For my best twistout I make sure my hair is very moisturized prior to twisting. This is important because it can affect the frizz in your hair. To make sure my hair has optimum moisture I begin with clean hair using the MHM. As far as styling products, I use my homemade flaxseed gel.

A tip that I learned from a member here and a utuber is that to see if the products will work well together, place a small amount of product in your hand and rub them together. If it turns white, cause clumps etc... then it's not a good match; however if the products are clear on your hands then it's a good match.

Naptural85, minimarley, haircrush and mahogonycurls are some of my fav utubers for twistouts.

Last edited:
Congrats on achieving your 1st twistout. For my best twistout I make sure my hair is very moisturized prior to twisting. This is important because it can affect the frizz in your hair. To make sure my hair has optimum moisture I begin with clean hair using the MHM. As far as styling products, I use my homemade flaxseed gel.

A tip that I learned from a member here and a utuber is that to see if the products will work well together, place a small amount of product in your hand and rub them together. If it turns white, cause clumps etc... then it's not a good match; however if the products are clear on your hands then it's a good match.

Naptural85, minimarley, haircrush and mahogonycurls are some of my fav utubers for twistouts.

Thanks so much for the information! What is MHM?

Congrats on your first twistout! :grin: Man I haven't posted in a while...

What product(s) did you use? To echo what pelohello said, make sure your hair is moisturized. Moisture, moisture, MOISTURE! :yep:

I love twisting with water-based moisturizers and sealing with a heavy oil or butter. No flakes ever. I never did have much success with gels. My hair is fine and dense. And when my hair is really moisturized, I can't keep my hands out of my twistout. I part my hair into 6, and get about 5 twists from each section. I moisturize and seal each twist as I go along. That's just how I do it. It all really depends on what your hair likes. It's going to take time + trial and error (I know first hand!) but you'll get there.

Congratulations! My first twistout came out like an afro but yours is really cute!!!

I always mist my hair with water and then twist with a thick cream (like Qhemet Burdock Root), and a maybe a tiny bit of get if I want my hair really defined. Just use the slightest bit of gel mixed with a hair cream if you want to avoid flaking.

Thanks so much for the information! What is MHM?

MHM means maximum hydration method. I follow this Reggie ensure that my hair is properly moisturized. There is a thread called MHM hangout that has a ton of info about this method.

drmuffin, I put the MOST stuff in my hair before I twisted. Lol. I always use two leave-ins after I wash (Redken Anti-snap and Bilolage Hydraseal), so I used those. Then I put coconut oil followed by Cantu Moisturizing Curl Activator. I don't have a butter but I'll get some.

Most of my hair didn't flake but I get a little heavy handed toward the end and it made a big difference. I'm going to try again using less products and less of each product.

AyannaDivine, thanks! I have a thicker Cantu cream that I'll try next time instead of the one I used this time.

claud-uk, thank you!

Not a total fail but not as nice as I wanted. I definitely need to trim my ends--don't know if they're heat damaged or leftover relaxed hair.

I used too much product and so had lots of white flakes when untwisting this morning. I used 8 big twists in the back, which caused the back to be not very defined. I used 16 twists in the front, which was just okay.

What do you do/use to get your best twistout?

How do I upload more than one pic at a time?

Thanks!
Good job for a first time. I wouldn't dare post my first twist out as a natural, lolll. It does get better as you get to know your hair and with practice. I get my best twist out using Jane carters curling cream on dry hair. However, as my hair gets longer, I don't really care for a defined look. I like big fluffy twistouts using just my regular moisturizer and butter on dry hair.

roni, thank you! I have some Jane Carter mousse on the way (Black Friday purchase), which I'm going to use when I attempt a roller set.

When you do your twists on dry hair do you stretch the hair first? If so, do you stretch it with heat?

Second twistout! Better :grin:

Next time I'll roll my ends with perm rods so they're less frizzy.

I used cantu coconut curling cream and cantu define and shine custard. I sealed with a little coconut oil.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    395.8 KB · Views: 99
That second try looks amazing sonychari, very shiny and healthy, well done sis!

ETA: How many twists did you do, did you let them dry completely before untwisting and also do you have colour on your hair? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Second twistout! Better :grin: Next time I'll roll my ends with perm rods so they're less frizzy. I used cantu coconut curling cream and cantu define and shine custard. I sealed with a little coconut oil.
Awesome job. It looks really good.

roni, thank you! I have some Jane Carter mousse on the way (Black Friday purchase), which I'm going to use when I attempt a roller set. When you do your twists on dry hair do you stretch the hair first? If so, do you stretch it with heat?
Oh I thought I answered this post. Anyhow, it looks like you are already a pro. But here s what I usually do:
Wash/DC
Leave in (aphogee pro vitamin leave in and SD wheat germ butter conditioner)
Seal and 8 big twist (my honey child buttery soy or any of my butters)
Airdry
Medium twist with Jane carters curling cream for a defined look, or
Medium twists with regular moisturizer (APB Ayurvedic cream, PBN murumuru moisture milk) and/or butter.
Your hair looks amazing with your product choice and technique. Get on with your bad self.

That second try looks amazing sonychari, very shiny and healthy, well done sis!

ETA: How many twists did you do, did you let them dry completely before untwisting and also do you have colour on your hair? Thanks in advance!

Thanks claud-uk! I did 16 twists. Parted hair into 4 sections, then did 4 twists on each section. I let them dry overnight-- they were completely dry when I took them down. No color in my hair.

Back