1st Time Straightening in 4 Months/ Length Check *Pics*

Soliel185

To set the stage I'm almost 16 months into my transition and normally my hair looks something like this:

DSCF2246.jpg

and that's with conditioner weighing it down.

I got the itch earlier this week to straighten - I hadn't used heat since my last weave install (I used a blowdryer for that) and I hadn't flat ironed since Thanksgiving or so. I straightened yesterday and took pics today @ work. :grin:

DSCF2569.jpg
DSCF2555.jpg
DSCF2556.jpg
DSCF2576.jpg
DSCF2558.jpg

Stretched:
DSCF2574.jpg

and the infamous "swang" series. :lachen:

DSCF2589.jpg
DSCF2590.jpg
DSCF2588.jpg

I think it's safe to claim APL and maaaaaaybe BSB stretched. If I hold off on chopping I'm hoping to hit BSL this fall.

ETA: For anyone who wanted to know my process:
To prepare my hair for straightening I DC'd overnight with a mix of Replenishing Pak and lustrasilk Aloe? (It's green). Overnight is not necessary, but I'm lazy. My hair was in 6 loose braids and the braids were in a bun.

After I rinsed the next day I added Silk Elements Moisturizing Cream and then sealed with Sabino Moisture Block and worked everything thru with my Denman. I airdried in two bunned pigtails to stretch my roots.

When it dried I went through section my section, dampened lightly with water and used a blowdryer with a comb attachment. Once my hair was all stretched I used a 1" Sedu flatiron and the comb chase method with a fine tooth comb. Each section took about 1 1/2 passes.

To sleep I wear 4 large pin curls and a bonnet.

ETA: I pre-mixed some olive and coconut oil in a bottle so I'll be using that to moisturize. (I forgot to add that I put some of this on my damp hair after the Silk Elements and before the Sabino.)

Last edited:
Awesome! I always loved your giant bun pic. What is your straightening technique?

haha - I am back to giant bun status! I will have to take another pic.

To prepare my hair for straightening I DC'd overnight with a mix of Replenishing Pak and lustrasilk Aloe? (It's green). Overnight is not necessary, but I'm lazy. :yep: My hair was in 6 loose braids and the braids were in a bun.

After I rinsed the next day I added Silk Elements Moisturizing Cream and then sealed with Sabino Moisture Block and worked everything thru with my Denman. I airdried in two bunned pigtails to stretch my roots.

When it dried I went through section my section, dampened lightly with water and used a blowdryer with a comb attachment. Once my hair was all stretched I used a 1" Sedu flatiron and the comb chase method with a fine tooth comb. Each section took about 1 1/2 passes.

ETA: I pre-mixed some olive and coconut oil in a bottle so I'll be using that to moisturize. (I forgot to add that I put some of this on my damp hair after the Silk Elements and before the Sabino.)

Last edited:
haha - I am back to giant bun status! I will have to take another pic.

To prepare my hair for straightening I DC'd overnight with a mix of Replenishing Pak and lustrasilk Aloe? (It's green). Overnight is not necessary, but I'm lazy. :yep: My hair was in 6 loose braids and the braids were in a bun.

how do u use the comb chase? is it combing first with flat iron following or flat iron with comb following??

how do u use the comb chase? is it combing first with flat iron following or flat iron with comb following??

It's combing first with the flat iron following. Since my hair is completely stretched and detangled the fine tooth comb goes though w no snagging or breakage.

I have a whole layer of hair down at a time. I separate out a small section, finger comb it, then clamp the flat iron right at the roots.

As I start the run the flatiron down the length, I put the fine tooth comb through the section at the roots (so now the comb is holding it, not my fingers) and start combing downward. Once there's enough space between the comb and my scalp, the flat iron goes back to the roots, and now "chases" the fine tooth comb all the way down to the ends.

So the roots get hit twice, but it's very quick, and the flat iron only makes it about 1/3 of the way down the section on the first pass, so the middle and ends only get flat ironed once. HTH

ETA: I kind of discovered this by accident, before I knew it was an actual technique. My old flatiron didn't get hot on the outside, so I used to press the plates together with my free hand thinking that that would get my hair straighter. When I got my Sedu, I couldn't do that anymore, but I needed something to hold the section so I started using the comb.

Last edited:
Your hair is beautiful.
What temp did you use on the flat iron?
When I flat iron, it does not come out silky smooth like that.
When I got it done at the salon the results looked like yours but I felt she used too much heat.

Back