1 year update and disappointment

janaq2003

Too irritated to post pics- maybe tomorrow. It's been one year since I have been taking care of my hair, including a setback and my hair is still SL. I am so tempted to cut it tomorrow. Maybe if I just go back to what I was doing, at least I'll have a reason to not have any progress. How do you have ng and hair stays the same length. I'm REALLY frustrated right now and real close to taking out the shears....
Sorry ladies.. I'm really feeling down:sad:

it's not so bad - there HAS to be some improvement...health, thickness, shine....SOMETHING. and if you cut it, it's gonna take THAT much longer. when i failed to reach my goal i was kinda down, but i looked at the positive, then i just reassessed, revamped my regimen, and set a new goal.

now let's see those pics!

It will be ok. Do not cut just dust and start taking care of your ends. It might also help to do protective styles like Kinky twists while you are stretching the relaxers.

I just looked at your fotki. The first thing I saw is, you are color treated. if it's permanent, this is where your breakage maybe coming from. If you look at my fotki, I started with a color . I have about 1 and 1/4 inch of color left. You need deep conditioning with a good moisturizing conditioner. dust not trom or cut dust now and then and apply moisturizer daily to the ends. Avoid manipulation at all costs.

Last edited:
:bighug:

It's ok to be disappointed; the important thing is not to give up! Since you have been so good to your hair for a year, I'm sure it's apparent in the health of your hair. Have you taken pictures and looked at the health of your hair and how it has changed over the year? Do your ends look healthier? Does your hair have that bling? Is it thicker?

Stay encouraged!!!

That's what I've been doing- Religiously! I guess my hair hate the color! I did it a year ago! It's so frustrating!!! I almost just want to say forget it, all this time and effort could be exerted toward something else.

i'm sorry that u feel that way:bighug:. was there any improvement at all?? do u think that u should change something in your regimen? did u see a lot of breakage?

Hi janaq2003: What's your hair regimen?

What types of shampoos/conditioners are you using?
Any protein treatments? If so, what and how often?
Any protective styling?
Are you using heat? If so, are you using a heat protectant?
We all know moisture is key. How are you retaining moisture?
Are you taking any supplements?
What was the setback you mentioned in the initial thread?

That's what I've been doing- Religiously! I guess my hair hate the color! I did it a year ago! It's so frustrating!!! I almost just want to say forget it, all this time and effort could be exerted toward something else.

You cannot say forget it. Stop with the coloring ASAP. Thats will be the biggest thing you do for yout hair. The color is undoing everything you have been doing.

hey don't give up! this is my third time starting over. I should have been at least to my bra strap by now. In my journey for WL hair, I have tried new products, regimens, and transitioned three times. I now know that those times were learning stages for me so I could figure out what not to do to my hair.

-wash weekly w/ SE moisturizing shampoo
-d/c w/ lekair cholesterol mixed w/ humectress. every other week aphogee 2 min. No heat
-wrapping at night for a couple of weeks and then it's mostly protective styles (buns,rollersets,braidouts etc.) until next relaxer
Moisturize daily w/ HE LTR leave-in (I have now switched to Hawaiian Silky 14 in 1) and seal w/ castor oil.
What am I missing?!

Hi janaq2003: What's your hair regimen?

What types of shampoos/conditioners are you using? Lekair and SE moisturizing shampoo
Any protein treatments? If so, what and how often? Aphogee 2 min
Any protective styling?-yes
Are you using heat? If so, are you using a heat protectant? Yes, SE
We all know moisture is key. How are you retaining moisture?
Are you taking any supplements? High Potency B complex
What was the setback you mentioned in the initial thread?
Stretching 15 wks and my hair hated braids( see my fotki, it was a hot mess.)
As I mentioned before, the last time I colored was Dec 07'

-d/c w/ lekair cholesterol mixed w/ humectress. every other week aphogee 2 min. No heat
-wrapping at night for a couple of weeks and then it's mostly protective styles (buns,rollersets,braidouts etc.) until next relaxer
Moisturize daily w/ HE LTR leave-in (I have now switched to Hawaiian Silky 14 in 1) and seal w/ castor oil.
What am I missing?!

You see all the bolded. Protien. I think you are on overload. You need Moisturizing conditioners. Humectress alone is moisturizing. Giovani direct, kera care humecto, Aubrey organics honeysuckle rose, Biolage Hydratherapie those are moisturizing. Too much protien will also cause breakage. Do protien once a month.

u may wanna change up your products, and use more moisture and different protein, or vise versa.. now, i'm no expert, but those are some of the things that may help. also, how long are u stretching??

ETA: sry for the "how long u stretching question", i guess i was still typing when u already posted the answer. okay, so hope all goes well!!

Last edited:
You see all the bolded. Protien. I think you are on overload. You need Moisturizing conditioners. Humectress alone is moisturizing. Giovani direct, kera care humecto, Aubrey organics honeysuckle rose, Biolage Hydratherapie those are moisturizing. Too much protien will also cause breakage. Do protien once a month.

I would have to agree with LDITP....you may want to alternate the cholesterol and aphogee - every other week and concentrate more on moisturizing. Humectress is a great product. I have this as well as the Aubrey Organic HSR (I use this as an overnight DC and baggie)

Your Fotki reflected some great progress, don't give up sista! I think the growing out of your color and maybe not enough moisture could be contributing to your woes.

I'm guessing I'm not trying to make anymore goals. I'm just gonna figure out a super simple regimen because it seems like the harder I try, I end up failing.:wallbash:

Stretching 15 wks and my hair hated braids( see my fotki, it was a hot mess.)
As I mentioned before, the last time I colored was Dec 07'

Don't throw in the towel! Stay encouraged. Periodically, all of our regi's need tweaking \ re-examining and the ladies have offered great advice in the previous threads. You may wonna try a garlic shampoo or garlic supplement to get in front of your breakage problem. You're on the right track with your low manipulation styling.

Hugs.

I'm guessing I'm not trying to make anymore goals. I'm just gonna figure out a super simple regimen because it seems like the harder I try, I end up failing.:wallbash:

You are not gripping. You are learning. we have all been there. I start at chin length thru trial and error. I finally made APL. I became a product junky too. Finally I found the balance between protein and moisture. Just moisturize ( with real moisture) and protect those ends.

don't quit. It's the color. You have to grow out the color. It hs been almost 1.5 years for me which should equal 9 inches but it really is only about 5 because I had to grow out the bonestraight and dust the crinkled ends. And i had a setback from a bad hairstylist. I was so disappointed like you. And once that thickness comes in it also starts to look short, but it really is not. This will be my year to see real growth.

You can see your nice NG in your fotki and just remember when you see it that it is growing fine, just maybe breaking off at the ends still.

I say dust and search and destroy.
I also say do a mild relaxer or texlax. No color...forget it or just do a rinse or Bigen.

Hang in there. Your hair is going to grow anyway, so you might as well take care of it.

Hugs to you.

What am I missing?!

Just another suggestion:
Personally I do not like Humectress because it has Mineral Oil. Have you considered discontinuing ALL mineral oil and petrolatum? Read the ingredients and if it has mineral oil or petrol put it right back on the shelf. Some people's hair thrives from it but it is my opinnion that it seals out the moisture from most African-American hair types. I would stop the cholesterol and do Affirm 5 in one deep conditioner and the Affirm Sustenance...UNbelievable. Sometimes there are trace amounts of mineral oil low on the list in products but if it is in the top 2 ingredients forget it.

DONT cut your hair if you are trying to grow your hair long. If you trim so often, maybe thats reason y. Your hair looks beautiful but suggest you to avoid dye or overloaded proteins. I suggest you to leave your hair ALONE and focus on new growth, keep them grow. I've seen your hair in fotki, it looked like ur hair is growing just fine but just dont cut. if ur stretching, try twists. :yep: dont be discouraging, your hair is long! :yep: avoid dye, cut, overloaded proteins. if ur hair is breaking off then layoff proteins for a while.

Your hair is growing. It's just not behaving as you would like it to right now but it is growing. Do not cut it, dust if you have to but leave it alone and moisturize, moisturize, moisturize. Ease off the protein and the colour, loose bun it and let it do its thing. Do not lose hope or get frustrated with your hair! Easier said then done I know but a little patience with it goes a long way:yep:.
HHG!!!

You've had a lot of good advice from the ladies here. Hopefully, you feel better and can create a new regimen, minus the protein overload.

Obviously, you should not mix chemical processes and you will have to handle your hair with extra care. I would even go as far as to say that you should hide your ends completey and keep your hair moisturised daily, especially now that its winter.
I literally mean, no rollersets, or anything else where your ends are exposed. Also, it may help to do more finger detangling than using a comb. I wonder if baggying will also help you reatin moisture.

These things have worked for me and my hair was terribly, terribly, TERRIBLY over processed. I cannot even count the amount of times relaxer was stretched the whole length of my hair, for years and years on end. I wish you luck, and I can understand your frustration, but please hang in there. Sometimes it just takes a little longer for some people to see the results they want to see, especially if the hair has been damaged.
HHG!

Back