You're doing it wrong...

LoveLiLi

Okay, I'm late with this information. About seven years late. :look:

I've been struggling with my natural hair for all these years and the answer to my problem was aloe vera gel. I've had an issue with dryness and split ends, especially when I wear my hair in its natural state.

I saw a girl with gorgeous hair on BGLH. She uses a homemade leave-in that is simply aloe vera gel, water and a few drops of essential oil. *Doh*
I'm having a Homer Simpson moment because I'm sure that's been common knowledge for how long now?

Mind you, I've tried aloe before, but as a replacement for gel for my frizzy edges, not as a leave-in.

I can't even convey how soft, manageable and shiny my hair is at this moment. :drunk: I washed it last night and usually it would be dry and crunchy by now.

And after all the money I've spent on leave-ins. I could probably buy a Celine bag if I added it all up.

Pictures please. Your hair is gorgeous though and has been an inspiration for me. How do you apply and what ratio do you use? What is BGLH?

Pictures please. Your hair is gorgeous though and has been an inspiration for me. How do you apply and what ratio do you use? What is BGLH?

Thanks! I'll take a pic of the bun and I'm going to attempt a WnG or a braid out this weekend and take a pic of that. The best comparison would be a before and after of the transformation from my hair looking like a bale of hay to looking like actual hair, lol.

I used equal parts water and aloe vera gel (whatever amount required for your length/thickness of hair) and I added a small amount of coconut oil.

I used it after rinsing and towel blotting my hair in place of my ususal leave-in. I added Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie and bunned my hair.

I tried to stick closely to what this woman did: http://blackgirllonghair.com/2013/08/mercedes-3c-natural-hair-style-icon/

BGLH = Black Girl with Long Hair

Last edited:
dont have me trying this. ive tried literally everything and i always end up disappointed! is there a specific brand you use? ive been dealing with the same dryness and brittleness for 6 years now.:cry:*off to get some aloe vera gel*

This is very interesting. I know someone who seals with Aloe Vera Gel and she got great results instead of using oils.

I tried the same thing with aloe Vera juice and got great results as well. I have a bottle of aloe Vera gel, won't hurt to try since I normally use water as my leave in.

Which do you feel is more potent the gel or the juice? I never know which one to try. I tried growing an actual Aloe plant for my skin and juices but I apparently am a horrid gardener...

dont have me trying this. ive tried literally everything and i always end up disappointed! is there a specific brand you use? ive been dealing with the same dryness and brittleness for 6 years now.:cry:*off to get some aloe vera gel*

Try it! You may love it. I used Lily of the Desert Aloe Vera simply because that was the brand at Wegmans, but I don't think a specific brand is mentioned on BGLH.

Which do you feel is more potent the gel or the juice? I never know which one to try. I tried growing an actual Aloe plant for my skin and juices but I apparently am a horrid gardener...

I'm not sure; I tried the gel since it was listed in the leave-in recipe. I think Fran (Hey Fran Hey) uses aloe vera juice, but I wanted to stick to what was listed on the site.

Back