Your stylist and the relaxer process

locabouthair

I am learning so much about relaxers and what should be done during the process such as puting some oil or vaseline on the ends before you relax and conditioning and then neutralizing, and letting the neutralizer sit for 5 mins instead of applying it 3 or 4 times.

My question is if you don't self relax, does your stylist do all the above things. I have never been to a stylist that has done any of those. I want to tell a stylist to do these things but most of the time they are going to look at you like you're crazy. (I don't even like telling my friends about the stuff I learned here because I think that people can be very ignorant about black hair) Last time I went in for a relaxer I put some conditioner on the ends to protect them just in case of overlapping and the stylist felt my hair and she asked if I wet it and I said no. I really didn't want to go into the whole conditioner protects the relaxed ends thing. She was hesitant to do my hair but I told her it was ok. And I think if i told her to neutralize after the conditioner she'd freak. And I know if I self relax it would cost me more harm than good.

How does your stylist react when you ask them to do the things you learned on the forum with regards to relaxing?

My stylist does all of the above plus she adds some conditioner to the length before washing the relaxer out. I have said before that I am very lucky to have found her. :grin:

I do everything myself because I haven't found anyone that will do my hair the way I would. My bf even told me one day: Why do you go to the salon if you're going to go home and fix your hair? It was like a lightbulb turned on.

I trim my own hair better than they did at the salon...not only that...I do everything better than they did at the salon! I do everything myself in part because of my desire for healthier hair and the knowledge found on this board. You guys are great!

I do every step you mentioned above. But I have to be honest, I've stopped a stylist in their tracks when I see them doing the wrong thing to my hair (years ago) and they DO not like it, no matter how polite I am, and no matter if I am paying an arm and a leg.

The only solution is to learn to do your hair yourself or find someone that is willing to listen and learn.

I am learning so much about relaxers and what should be done during the process such as puting some oil or vaseline on the ends before you relax and conditioning and then neutralizing, and letting the neutralizer sit for 5 mins instead of applying it 3 or 4 times.

My question is if you don't self relax, does your stylist do all the above things. I have never been to a stylist that has done any of those. I want to tell a stylist to do these things but most of the time they are going to look at you like you're crazy. (I don't even like telling my friends about the stuff I learned here because I think that people can be very ignorant about black hair) Last time I went in for a relaxer I put some conditioner on the ends to protect them just in case of overlapping and the stylist felt my hair and she asked if I wet it and I said no. I really didn't want to go into the whole conditioner protects the relaxed ends thing. She was hesitant to do my hair but I told her it was ok. And I think if i told her to neutralize after the conditioner she'd freak. And I know if I self relax it would cost me more harm than good.

How does your stylist react when you ask them to do the things you learned on the forum with regards to relaxing?

I'm a self-relaxer but a biggie for me at the salon is when they don't leave the neutralizer/normalizer on long enough. A relaxer is a major chemical process, but a lot of times they apply the neutralizing shampoo and rinse it out all in 60 seconds.

Then they only leave the conditioner on long enough for a dryer to become available. As soon as they can move you from the shampoo bowl, they rinse out the conditioner.

I have noticed that more hair mags are telling people to apply conditioner to previously relaxed hair as a barrier. Maybe people will face less resistance about it when they go into the salon now.

ETA: I often wonder about stylists who charge a premium for relaxers like Affirm and Mizani, but don't actually use all the steps involved in the system. Most consumers probably don't even realize that there are supposed to be more steps than just the relaxer and neutralizer.

Last edited:
ETA: I often wonder about stylists who charge a premium for relaxers like Affirm and Mizani, but don't actually use all the steps involved in the system. Most consumers probably don't even realize that there are supposed to be more steps than just the relaxer and neutralizer.

I didn't even know that relaxers like affirm come with things that protect the previously relaxed hair. I use mizani and where I go they never put anything on my hair bfore they relax.

tarheelgurl you are very lucky. if you were in NY I would ask you where your stylist was.

lana I would love to never go to a stylist again but I really don't trust my self with relaxing.

I need to find a stylist soon.

I didn't even know that relaxers like affirm come with things that protect the previously relaxed hair. I use mizani and where I go they never put anything on my hair bfore they relax.

tarheelgurl you are very lucky. if you were in NY I would ask you where your stylist was.

lana I would love to never go to a stylist again but I really don't trust my self with relaxing.

I need to find a stylist soon.

You will find one! A good one at that because I am sending you my positve good stylist vibes your way!

I hope you find a good stylist that can do what you want. You can do it. Just go in for a consultation first.

Back