Your First Grey/Gray..., Will You Color, & When?

• Thread starter Thread starter patient1
  • Start date Start date
P

patient1

I'm 35 and haven't got any yet, but I know they're coming.

My big sis freaked when she found her first gray. My mother at 62 is more salt then pepper and doesn't color anymore.

When did you find your first gray?

Do you plan on coloring or just rocking them?

If you plan to color, when will you start? With the first one? First 10....1000?

Just curious.:)
p1

i have a lot of gray :eek: if it comes in real white i will rock it i only cover it when i wear a prem any way causeyou cant see it in braids that much i been getting gray for years as long as i dont look my age i wont worry about it i kind of like it when it donot make you look older if i start looking like bush wife i will never wear it out :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lol: she looks old old and more old she should have been did some thing about that hair she dont look sexy i want to look sexy with it:lol: :lol: :lol:

I found my 1st gray @ 22, right after college, I have 11 or so now (that I know of...) and I just turned 24 a few weeks ago. I blame my job :(

Anyways, I was all a/b coloring at first, but I don't want my hair's health to be compromised, so I've left it alone for now. But as the strands in the front/on the sides become more noticeable I may change my mind and go back to Bigen...

artemis_e. said:
I found my 1st gray @ 22, right after college, I have 11 or so now (that I know of...) and I just turned 24 a few weeks ago. I blame my job :(

Anyways, I was all a/b coloring at first, but I don't want my hair's health to be compromised, so I've left it alone for now. But as the strands in the front/on the sides become more noticeable I may change my mind and go back to Bigen...

Why dont you try a rinse with no ammonia and no peroxide?

I have had grays for at least 8 years (I'm 42 now).

I was coloring my hair before the grays, but when they came in I learned how to color at home!

Now I do my hendigo treatments & they work like a charm:love: .

I don't like my grays so much because they are right up front, all along my hairline, all around the back!

Plus, I just ain't ready for that yet! That's a whole 'nother type of hair care regime to develope!

Letitia said:
Why dont you try a rinse with no ammonia and no peroxide?

I have some but I hate that way it stains my tub and my nails blue (I :love: blue black color) and w/me washing 2x/wk, it won't last...I recently joined a fight school, so I'll prolly be washing more often than that.

I have 4 grey hairs and I just leave them alone because you cannot really see them. I am going to just enjoy the time I have now because I don't HAVE to dye my hair. I am sure I will get MANY more over time and I will dye them when they get too noticeable. Right now, I am not going to bother if I don't have to. Feeling like I HAVE to dye will be a big pain when that time comes.

Have had grey hairs since I was twelve. Most of them are in the back of my hair, but since I started going to the dominicans and wearing a blowout I can see it, as my hair curls around my neck and over my shoulder now. I kind of like it. I leave it alone. :D

I started getting the "stress" grays in my 20s, right at the middle front of my head and temples. I had used Jazzin color rinse for years so I just continued to do that, but grays don't stay colored long with rinses. My DD says I look too young to let my grays show....she says I look weird with them, especially with them mainly in the middle of my forehead like that. Henna does the trick though...once they are colored the color never fades and they look like highlights. I get lazy about hennaing now though cause I like to use my grays to gauge how much my hair is growing.:)

Thanks for the replies ladies.

I guess I'll do the henna thing when I get them. My mother used to dye her hair this reddish brown color and I HATED it. I think her hair looks nice gray as long as she keeps it cut short. When she lets it grow out I think it ages her tremendously.

Usually I don't like long silver or gray hair but there's a woman in the Dove Pro-Age line commercial that has gorgeous long hair with curled layers and a bang. It looks very good on her and that's not usually the case.

When I was pregnant with my first I grew one solitary golden hair, other than that it's been black.

My eldest has one hair that is true red like a Raggedy Ann hair. Very strange how our body can alter our hair color.

p1

When did you find your first gray? I was 12:eek:

Do you plan on coloring or just rocking them? I don't mind (yet), I would color my hair for fun not because I have gray hair.

If you plan to color, when will you start? With the first one? First 10....1000? As soon as they become an issue, I guess.:ohwell:

Last edited:
I got my first silver hairs when I was around 12 or so, I started coloring it in my late 20's....which is where I am and will be for the next 5 or so years. LOL

artemis_e. said:
I have some but I hate that way it stains my tub and my nails blue (I :love: blue black color) and w/me washing 2x/wk, it won't last...I recently joined a fight school, so I'll prolly be washing more often than that.

What brand are you using? I have never had that problem.
*Yes, the extra washing does make it fast quick!*

I'm 28, and I've had about 6 white hairs for a few years now. I think they're pretty noticeable because my natural hair color is black, so the white strands really stand out.

I have no plans to color my hair any time in the near future. I think the white hairs add a little interest to my overall look.

I just turned 35 and I have about 6 or 7 very short (1/2 inch) grey hairs right in the front along my hairline. They're so short because I plucked them not too long ago. That left a small area that looked a bit thin, so I won't be doing that anymore. I just got them a few months ago.

I'm going to color them in the near future with a no ammonia or peroxide rinse. I've always said I wouldn't start coloring my hair until I have to. Nothing makes you look older than grey hair, so they have to go!

Last edited:
Letitia said:
What brand are you using? I have never had that problem.
*Yes, the extra washing does make it fast quick!*

SoftSheen Rejuvatone I think it's called...:look:

What do you use?

Lavendar said:
I started getting the "stress" grays in my 20s, right at the middle front of my head and temples. I had used Jazzin color rinse for years so I just continued to do that, but grays don't stay colored long with rinses. My DD says I look too young to let my grays show....she says I look weird with them, especially with them mainly in the middle of my forehead like that. Henna does the trick though...once they are colored the color never fades and they look like highlights. I get lazy about hennaing now though cause I like to use my grays to gauge how much my hair is growing.:)

I do this too!! I started getting grays in my early 20's, and they grow in my hairline and stick straight up like flyaways :look:. I henna those suckers once a month and they look like shiny red highlights now, love it. Once they start to get white roots, I know its time for another henna treatment.

artemis_e. said:
SoftSheen Rejuvatone I think it's called...:look:

What do you use?

I use the Roux Fanci Full. I first read about this line in Carolyn Gray's book. Since it safe and inexpensive I tried it and I like it. (Roux is the company that makes Porosity Control.

*JenniferMD also sell Color washes on her www.roundbrush.com site. They also contain no Ammonia and No peroxide.*

Back