You Might As Well Trim It Anyway

hotshot

or its just gonna break off.

im so disappointed i was hard headed enough to go so long with out a trim. i hate trim time because a)my hair is trimmed best after a blowout or some applied heat, which is damaging and b)I can't trim it myself because I go overboard. So its usually a pain. well now ive waited too long and my hair has thinned and im gonna have to trim a bit to handle the dry, unhappy ends. i had a handle on it for a while but after three weeks of wash and go's and no twisting, my hair is just mad at me. im getting some sort of braids / twists and calling it a day. my hair usually flourishes in braids, but thats another thing i have just been putting off.

I know exactly what you mean. Every now and then I get so excited just thinking about how much growth I could have if I trimmed less often, but after 2 months like clockwork - there comes the damage. I have just come to terms with the fact that I have to trim every 2 months. If I do that, my hair grows slow and steady :)
Is there anyway you can trim without a blowout? Maybe while it's in twists?

i just trimmed it by plaiting it first and taking it section by section. im glad i read supergirl's SHS post or else i would have trimmed thin hair thats actually healthy. The point is, had i trimmed earlier i would have avoided the mess im in now!

Have to cosign with you on this one.

What is it about not wanting to cut our hair?!? It's like I think that a trim is going to undo all the growth I have retained!

Since going natural that fear has subsided somewhat. I have also read more and more about the nature of hair. When I finally understood that "split ends" cannot be "un-split" but will continue to split up the hair shaft...then it finally made me feel at peace to go ahead and trim it.

Now since my hair habits are so much more healthier than 2 years ago, I am not having to trim as much hair off, because I have less damaged hair.

If you would have told me that two years ago though...I would not have accepted it. Its like each individual has to see this happen first before they accept that "trims are good"!

Good post.

I have one word, "DUSTING" :)

I discovered dustings long b4 I knew that white salons had a name for it. It really does save length, especially when done on freshly washed and dried hair.

Anytime I try to forego a dusting, holding out for several months, I end up having to get a trim. This usually costs me anywhere between 1 and 4 inches.

webby said:
I have one word, "DUSTING" :)

I discovered dustings long b4 I knew that white salons had a name for it. It really does save length, especially when done on freshly washed and dried hair.

Anytime I try to forego a dusting, holding out for several months, I end up having to get a trim. This usually costs me anywhere between 1 and 4 inches.

ditto, I've just trimmed/dusted about an inch of hair all around. This is a lot better than I used to have to cut, it's worth it - my hair feels a lot better for it.

Daughter said:
ditto, I've just trimmed/dusted about an inch of hair all around. This is a lot better than I used to have to cut, it's worth it - my hair feels a lot better for it.

Do ya'll know how to dust your own ends? I can't find a stylist that is onboard with my program concerning dusting.

belleza said:
Do ya'll know how to dust your own ends? I can't find a stylist that is onboard with my program concerning dusting.

My husband does my dustings when my hair is long. My hair is medium length now, so I just go to a white salon. I go to a chain salon, Holiday Hair. Try Cost Cutters or the salon in Wal-Mart. It's very important that you tell them that you want a Dry Trim. Then when you are seated be very firm when telling them that you want the most minute amount clipped off, a dusting. You can also use your fingers to show the tiny amount.

One thing that you must keep in mind, dustings are best on well maintained hair. If you hair is need of a true trim, a dusting just won't cut it...no pun intended :D

I am the dusting queen over here. I only blunt cut once every 5 months now if it is needed. My hair is never pin straight so one looking could not tell that all of my ends were exactly even but they are not split or thin too much. If you see that you have a ton of tangles then it may be best to give yourself one good trim and protect your ends from heat, too much air and dryness.

I can relate to this thread! I started a similar one myself last week! I did two dustings in two weeks time because I was wearing my hair out for over a week in 40 degrees and below weather, 20% humidity and 30 mph winds! What was I thinking? I looked good, but my ends suffered a bit! I am getting a touch up tomorrow and I am confident I will not need a major trim because I maintain the health of my ends by dusting. I am getting pretty good at it and I still see growth. I try to trim every other touch-up. That is how I have gotten the growth I have so far.

Back