Yellow or White Shea Butter????

blkmaryland

I have been using Shea Butter off and on for several years. I'd normally purchase it from one of the street vendors during the summer at one of the festivals. I never really noticed the color but a lady that works with me sells it and she asked me if I wanted yellow or white?

Ladies...is one color more potent than the other?

White is refined and probably colerless, and oderless. Yelow is not refined and should have a smell. Un-refined yellow is suposed to be better but I cant take the smell.

Ooops I meant unrefined yellow sorry to confuse you.

Last edited:
Hi, from my experience any shea butter that is white has been refined. If it has a off-white or yellowish color it is unrefined (unprocessed which preserves the healing restorative properties of the butter). The unrefined shea butter works much better for me. I apply it to my hair and skin. I first started purchasing the white shea butter from a place called L'Occitane (specialty shop for hair/skincare usually found in malls). This product was good, however when a friend suggested I try her shea butter which was a yellowish color/unrefined, I saw the difference within a few days. The unrefined works much better for me since I have eczema. Hope this helps. Oh, A good place to order unrefined shea butter is www.natureswildchild.com. This company's shea butter is great, and the odor is very slight and disipates after it is applied.

Last edited:
Well I hear that unrefined(yellow) is better since it has all the natural properties. But choose the one that works for you.

nikki1971 said:
Hi, from my experience any shea butter that is white has been refined. If it has a off-white or yellowish color it is unrefined (unprocessed which preserves the healing restorative properties of the butter). The unrefined shea butter works much better for me. I apply it to my hair and skin. I first started purchasing the white shea butter from a place called L'Occitane (specialty shop for hair/skincare usually found in malls). This product was good, however when a friend suggested I try her shea butter which was a yellowish color/unrefined, I saw the difference within a few days. The unrefined works much better for me since I have eczema. Hope this helps. Oh, A good place to order unrefined shea butter is www.natureswildchild.com. This company's shea butter is great, and the odor is very slight and disipates after it is applied.

Thanks Nikki....I also have eczema so I will try the yellow. The lady told me that if I wanted, she could give me half-and-half. I did smell the yellow and it doesn't smell bad at all. I'm going o go on the internet and see how much it goes for to make sure I'm not getting

Thanks Ladies

the kind that I brought is yellow. I like the smell. it's earthy. love it. I didn't know it was good for eczema. I need to use it on my body then

I agree w/everybody else. The white is more refined and supposedly less effective. Raw shea butter is more of an off white color(with a slight "smokey" type of smell)... It turns yellow-ish over time, I think. So the closer u get to off white the more fresh its supposed to be. I think this is true b/c when I get some from my braider straight from Senegal it is always an off white color. But most of the stuff available at stores is yellowish. She is the one that told me it turns yellow as it gets older.... She also kept hers in the frig to keep it fresher longer. So thats what I do too cuz I figured she must know what she is doing :D

carmend said:
I agree w/everybody else. The white is more refined and supposedly less effective. Raw shea butter is more of an off white color(with a slight "smokey" type of smell)... It turns yellow-ish over time, I think. So the closer u get to off white the more fresh its supposed to be. I think this is true b/c when I get some from my braider straight from Senegal it is always an off white color. But most of the stuff available at stores is yellowish. She is the one that told me it turns yellow as it gets older.... She also kept hers in the frig to keep it fresher longer. So thats what I do too cuz I figured she must know what she is doing :D

Carmend.....I was just sitting here wondering what I can do to extend the life of the unrefinned since it doesn't have any preservatives. Thanks so much. I will put it in the fridge.

I use the White Shea Butter for mixing with other butters, because for me it works better in my home made pomades. The yellow butter works better on its own when I use it for moisturising my ends.

MeechUK

MeechUK said:
I use the White Shea Butter for mixing with other butters, because for me it works better in my home made pomades. The yellow butter works better on its own when I use it for moisturising my ends.

MeechUK

DITTO to a T!

blkmaryland said:
I have been using Shea Butter off and on for several years. I'd normally purchase it from one of the street vendors during the summer at one of the festivals. I never really noticed the color but a lady that works with me sells it and she asked me if I wanted yellow or white?

Ladies...is one color more potent than the other?

According to this website I just finished looking at. There are 2 types of shea butter and Kpangnan, aka "golden shea butter". I was going to paste the whole article, but I dont want anybody to miss out on the pretty pictures.
http://www.agbangakarite.com/Other-Shea-Butter/catalog.htm

This is soo funny because I had the same question and was going to make a post about it. I saw shea butter a street fair yesterday and didnt pick it up because I wasnt sure which one was good. They had both the yellow and the white. I may just go on 125th and see if I can get the yellow there. Thanks ladies. God bless you all.

My shea butter is a grey/greenish color :confused:

Does this mean it is bad? It came that way in a 5lb tub.

Last edited:
Maybe I should have started a new thread.

But the tub says it is unrefined and it doesn't look yellow or white, at all!

Back