Y'all remember that brown protein gel?

sonychari

It's the kind that makes your hair as hard as Aphogee Two Step does? Do any of you ladies use it?

Well, I used to use that mess like EVERY day in high school. I stopped using it, along with grease, when I got to college and vowed that I would NEVER use it again. I thought it was what jacked my hair up to the point that I BARELY had enough hair to pull into a ponytail :lachen: Now it's funny to me that I had so little hair. :look: But to be sure, it really hurt back then.

Anyway, I broke the vow. I used the brown gel in my hair the other night and I am thinking about using it again and perhaps on a regular basis.

I'll be 16 weeks post at the end of this week and I have a TWA under all my relaxed ends. Even if I tie my hair down to flatten it, it looks poofed and unkempt again in no time. I had an event to go to and I wanted to lay my hair DOWN. I knew that the brown gel would get the job done so I went for it. I slapped it, slicked it, and did a diagonal french braid across the back of my head and stuck a flower in it. It was cute and sorry, I don't have pics.

Ok, so the reason I will probably use the gel again is because it stopped me from playing in my new growth, which I can never stop myself from doing. Also, the style lasted me all day the next day and would still be in now and looking fine if I had not washed it out today. This means I could go days with NO MANIPULATION, forget about low manipulation. Weavers get to experience this too but weave is not for me.

Soooo I'm thinking that I will gel it up, where it for three days, then wash it out, deep condition, etc. and start all over again. I will do this every time I get deep into my stretch. I don't think the protein will be a problem because my relaxed hair does well with protein.

The problem was not the gel but that i was silly enough to comb and brush hair that was hard with protein. Of course I had a whole list of other bad hair habits that I didn't know were bad at the time that probably also contributed to the extremely short hair.

I used to swear by Ampro Prostyl gel for years. I would buy that junk in KFC sized buckets from the Asian BSS @ the swap meet. And though it froze my hair like a helmet, flaked onto my shoulders like nobody's business, and made my bath tub brown, it was what I used to transition from broken off, relaxed ear length hair @ 15 years old, to MBL by the time I took my senior pics @ 17. I haven't used that mess in years but for some reason I still feel the need to keep a little tub under my sink.

It can and will break off your hair if you're not careful, but other than that, if it works for you...

It's my dirty secret. I use it all the time. I put a dab of oil in it.

I just make sure not to manipulate my hair when using it. I wash it out. I don't comb or brush with it in.

I have no issues with it. In a pinch, it works.

Sent from my iPhone while out living my best life!

I use the super protein ecostyler gel every four days on my twa. I've also used other ecostyler gels (i love the olive oil one, but it flakes the third day lol). I just use a leave in underneath (like PM the conditioner or Shea moisture coconut and hibiscus milk or neutrogena triple moisture leave in or...well you get the point). I'm not protein sensitive so it does no damage to my hair. And best of all: no manipulation for 4 days. It also keeps my hair from tangling and creates amazing slip when its time to wash and condition. I love it!

You should try it! I've retained a lot using this method (check out youtuber Kittykat1374. Its the same method and she's about mbl/wl'ish and natural)

I used to swear by Ampro Prostyl gel for years. I would buy that junk in KFC sized buckets from the Asian BSS @ the swap meet. And though it froze my hair like a helmet, flaked onto my shoulders like nobody's business, and made my bath tub brown, it was what I used to transition from broken off, relaxed ear length hair @ 15 years old, to MBL by the time I took my senior pics @ 17. I haven't used that mess in years but for some reason I still feel the need to keep a little tub under my sink.

It can and will break off your hair if you're not careful, but other than that, if it works for you...

LMAO :lachen: Yeah, I think it is a good stretching tool. I think I should be fine as long as I don't manipulate the hair AT ALL while it has gel in it. It does make my hair feel like a helmet :lol: My dad touched it and called it a turtle shell. My boyfriend was like :perplexed. But like you said, if it works for me...

I just make sure not to manipulate my hair when using it. I wash it out. I don't comb or brush with it in.

THANKS! This is exactly how I plan to use it.

I use the super protein ecostyler gel every four days on my twa. I've also used other ecostyler gels (i love the olive oil one, but it flakes the third day lol). I just use a leave in underneath (like PM the conditioner or Shea moisture coconut and hibiscus milk or neutrogena triple moisture leave in or...well you get the point). I'm not protein sensitive so it does no damage to my hair. And best of all: no manipulation for 4 days. It also keeps my hair from tangling and creates amazing slip when its time to wash and condition. I love it!

You should try it! I've retained a lot using this method (check out youtuber Kittykat1374. Its the same method and she's about mbl/wl'ish and natural)

Thank you! I'm thinking that not only will the protein NOT damage my hair, but I will get the added benefit of a protein treatment and a worry-free style all in one. I will definitely check out the video.

I use ampro prostyle gel daily when ever im wearing my hair in a bun. However i wash it out every night in the shower so it does'nt build up in my hair. Doing it this way gives my no breakage. I put it in the the morning and at night will wash or cowash.

I do the same thing. It works better than my eco gel to me. My daughters also use it.

I'm still using it. It's the only thing that keeps my edges down during my transition to natural, after my big chop, and being texlaxed.

I still use it for my flyway hair,just the tiniest amount ,i slightly grease up my hands with Vitale oil ,put a pea size of gel ,rub it in my hands and gently smooth it on those frizzy areas,works wonders on wigs too .
For styling (ponytails,twisting)i ve started using Darcy twisting cream ,it doesnt leave thr hair hard and keeps it nice and smooth.

Back