Y'all, I'ma Need Some Kind Of Way ...

nyeredzi

To make medium to large braids with just my own hair look adult and cute. Okay, first question, is there a term for these braids done with just your own hair, as opposed to hair with extensions? I want to search for styles and discussion, but if I use "braids" or "box braids", I get a lot of stuff for braids with extensions. Second question, have y'all managed to make medium to large braids with just your hair look cute somehow? I have in crochet braids right now and I'm now realizing that I am no longer used to all this fake hair hanging off my head. It feels so heavy and uncomfortable and I hate it. At the same time, I'm tired of doing my hair every week. I want to braid just my own hair, and no tiny ones either because it takes too long. So, do you guys have tips? Cute parts? Buns? Curled ends? Something?

Are you going to cornrow it into a specific style? If so, I would recommend this one (Kerry Washington in The Last King of Scotland):

4359.jpg

... So, do you guys have tips? Cute parts? Buns? Curled ends? Something?
That's basically my answer, side parts and buns. What I usually do is make a side part and then make two flat twists in the front. Then I make between 6 and 12 additional twists. I leave them out at home but use a Flexi 8 to put them in a bun if I have to go out. For variation, I might untwist the longer front one for a side bang-like accent. They don't last as long if I do them straight after washing so I wait until my hair is mostly dry. I usually I do twists because they look better (fuller) - braids look scraggly and scalpy on me. But you wouldn't have that problem since you've got beautifully thick hair.

I am not trying to hijack your thread, but I am trying to found out the same thing using twists. I just cannot seem to make them look professional unless I put them in a top knot. I curled the ends yesterday and wore a side updo that was slightly cute. I just don't know...

Are you going to cornrow it into a specific style? If so, I would recommend this one (Kerry Washington in The Last King of Scotland):

4359.jpg

That is beautiful but honestly too technically skilled and time consuming for me.

That's basically my answer, side parts and buns. What I usually do is make a side part and then make two flat twists in the front. Then I make between 6 and 12 additional twists. I leave them out at home but use a Flexi 8 to put them in a bun if I have to go out. For variation, I might untwist the longer front one for a side bang-like accent. They don't last as long if I do them straight after washing so I wait until my hair is mostly dry. I usually I do twists because they look better (fuller) - braids look scraggly and scalpy on me. But you wouldn't have that problem since you've got beautifully thick hair.

Thanks. I was hoping for braids since braids will last me 2 washes, whereas twists don't even really last me one. But you're right in that twists look fuller. I can swing braids, but there will certainly be some scalp showing with them. Which is why, I guess, I should try to make the parts perfect, because they're going to be seen.

My daughter has long, thick hair like yours and is a year round athlete. We usually alternate between twists and braids (with her own hair). She likes a middle part, so we will put her hair in medium-sized individual braids and then use a small rod on each end to curl. We use a braid spray to moisturize daily and she then puts her hair in a variety of styles during the week. Neither the braids nor the twists last more than two weeks. But, because her braids/twists are long, she can create a variety of styles. Her braids aren't that scalpy, but she definitely has a fuller look with the twists.

Back