WOW!!! All of this....to start over again

upandcoming

Hey ladies,

I talked to my cousin (licensed cosmotologist who I will be using now that I'm back in Florida) and I realized the following: EVERYTHING MY MOMMY TOLD ME WAS RIGHT.

Growing up my mom had thick, rolling hair about a few inches from brastrap. My mom has 3b/3c hair and is very silky to the touchy (although texture has changed a bit maybe she's 3C now) and she always did the following:

-Roller set w/wash and deep condition
-Oils (some Caribbean oils)
-Roller set EVERY night with soft sponges
-Hair usually pinned up from roller set
-Trimmings
-NO BLOW DRYING, NO STRAIGHTENING

And her friend does the same thing, except her hair is ALWAYS in a nice bun. She uses a lot of oils and wraps her hair. BANGIN'.

After years of blow FRYING, hair KILLING straighteners, sleeping with nothing on my hair at night, layers after layers....I find myself begging my mom for the secret oils. It's kind of like we get so advanced and realized that some of the older ways of doing things are actually better...

I agree the oldies are the goodies!!! Get that secret girl on oil and slip in here!!
Oh, yeah I love your 2007 Goals every one them are good.

Yep, this happened to me too. Mama was right all along. Put the hot curlers down. :lol: I'm on a deep conditioning and rollersetting with oil regimen and it's been doing wonders for my hair.

togethernessinchrist said:
Hey ladies,

I talked to my cousin (licensed cosmotologist who I will be using now that I'm back in Florida) and I realized the following: EVERYTHING MY MOMMY TOLD ME WAS RIGHT.

Growing up my mom had thick, rolling hair about a few inches from brastrap. My mom has 3b/3c hair and is very silky to the touchy (although texture has changed a bit maybe she's 3C now) and she always did the following:

-Trimmings

And her friend does the same thing, except her hair is ALWAYS in a nice bun. She uses a lot of oils and wraps her hair. BANGIN'.

After years of blow FRYING, hair KILLING straighteners, sleeping with nothing on my hair at night, layers after layers....I find myself begging my mom for the secret oils. It's kind of like we get so advanced and realized that some of the older ways of doing things are actually better...

This is what my mom does too and she has a gorgeous head of hair!

Yep, mothers are rarely wrong. I'm glad I listened to my mother and never relaxed even though I wanted my 3c/4a hair to look more like her 2b/c.

togethernessinchrist said:
-Trimmings

yup. this is what I used to do before I started taking care of my own hair and tore it up:lol:

my mom's ends always look amazingly thick and blunt and that's what she does.
That is one of my goals for 2007. I'm buying a soft-bonnet hairdryer and will be rollersetting from now on.

As for oils, since my hair is fine, I won't use them when I'm rollersetting, unless it's just to add a little shine or while the hair is wet. Otherwise, they will weigh my hair down. I really like Motions Oil Moisturizer. When I used to rollerset, I would apply it at night and tie my hair with a scarf and in the morning my hair would have absorbed it and it would feel so insanely soft and look so shiny without feeling greasy to the touch. I need to get back on that.

If I'm airdrying though, natural oils are essential. They're good for scalp massages as well, Rosemary, Avocado, Sweet Almond.

We use l'huile makristi for pre-poo treatments. I remember as a child, I used to see my mom and aunts use pure aloe and ground avocado as hair treatments. It's funny, back then we didn't even use a hairdryer...we'd airdry the rollerset, but there's no time for that anymore :look:

gaaah i'm determined to make to near waistlength in 2007!!!

JazzyDez said:
sounds good to me except the sponge rollers which can be drying to the hair....

The regimen is similar to mine during the times that my hair thrived. I love sponge rollers, and their even better now that you can get them with a satin cover at Wal-mart. These are much more gentle on the hair.

Back