Would you hurt someone?

dreamgurl82

I sure as hell would...:nono:
I saw this article on my train coming home from work today....and I had to share

1) I would cancel the wedding:wallbash:
2) Sue people:perplexed
3) Never ever go to a salon again!

Now the story is a little weird...it sounds and looks like more than a scalp burn- she had a full blown chemical allergic reaction.

What would you say/do?

Wow. that. was. severe. I may have had to postpone the wedding too. it sounds like she sat there while her face was swelling and head was burning. I hope that wasn't the case. they said she went from the hairdresser to the hospital....

OMG! That was horrible! She definitely had an allergic reaction to something; she looked terrible. I would have canceled the wedding and sued everyone in that salon. So sad. I would have been afraid to set foot in another salon...guess I would have transitioned to natural.

Yeah i saw that too. She went blind because her eyes swelled up so much. The salon should give people patch tests but the one time i got my hair relaxed at a salon they didn't, so i don't know how normal that is.

Wow that is awful, why have an experienced beautician putting a "mixture" of chemicals on someones head. Sounds a bomb waiting to go off.

This is gonna sound harsh - unless she really had no clue - but i thought it was common knowledge not to relax and colour on the same day. She should have questioned them.

Having said that, if they did that to me someone would have to pay...

I'm not shocked that the stylist tried to dye the woman's hair on the same day she got it relaxed. I have seen hair stylist do some crazy ish to people's heads on some of those hair reality shows like Tabathas Salon Takeover... she has to call a lot of people out.
I hope the woman sues and wins.

I don't know what to say except I wouldn't have been going to my wedding looking like that no WAY no HOW. She had to have been in pain. I don't know whether to feel sorry for her or what. I hope she's ok though.

That's awful. I'd sue the life out of that salon for that. So, was she having all these reactions at the salon? How did she sit through it all?

Last edited:
I would have to postpone the wedding. Poor girl think about those pictures and walking down the aisle all red and swollen. The article didn't give us all the details but I say if she didn't say something pretty soon after she felt something was wrong the salon is not totally to blame. Yes they should have done a patch test but I'm assuming neither party knew she was allergic to the chemical beforehand. I feel so bad for her.

Last edited:
This is gonna sound harsh - unless she really had no clue - but i thought it was common knowledge not to relax and colour on the same day. She should have questioned them.

There are many dyes that can be used on the same day as the relaxer. As long as it's the kind that deposits color rather than lifting. The Beautiful collection rinses actually work better and last longer when used directly after relaxing/neutralizing.

I'm curious to know what dye this is. Bigen hair dye has been known to do this

REAL... Bigen did that to my Mom's best friend. She's had BSL and + natural hair all her life, thick, healthy and :lick: and now she is 2-3 inches long at her longest length. It's been almost 2 years and she still can't get back to the length she used to have... So sad, she just wanted to cover her grey hair :ohwell:

WOW!!!!! :thud:

I thank God I stopped relaxing.... this is so sad......:nono:
I also must say that as we think of the nature of Black Salons - There is one on every corner in some neighborhoods...... and many don't do what they are supposed to do. She probably did NOT flinch at the idea of color and relaxer on the same day.......
As many people do not flinch at the thought of a "patch test" before using these products!!!!!! during the 20 years I had a relaxer... NOT ONE stylist ever did a Patch test. EVER.

This time... The luck was not in her favor. An "inexperienced" assistant? Shampoo girls are NOT supposed to be putting on chems....

I don't know. She might only win her case due to the fault of the assistant...I will stay grey and nappy thank you very much.

ETA - To answer the question... YES! I would hurt somebody!

Last edited:
JUST AWFUL!!!!! I guess its time for her to transition. I've never seen anyone get an allergic reaction to a chemical like that.

Figures show that lawyers have dealt with 34 salon-related injury cases in the capital over the past 12 months. The total across the country is 338 in a year.
The findings are based on a survey by the Association of Personal Injury Lawyers which is launching a campaign to get hairdressers regulated.
Does this mean they’re licensed but not regulated? What good is licensing if the government doesn’t regulate them? They can do anything to consumers with no repercussions.

Can someone from the UK come in and explain the non-regulation of the hair care industry? Caveat Emptor?

Wow, that's terrible. That poor lady :perplexed. I've never had a salon do a patch test, either. I do a patch test when I do a dye or rinse at home.

Sorry this happened to her.

Reassures me that I need to remain a DIY natural. Stuff like this is sooo random and can happen to anyone.

WOW!!!!! :thud:

I thank God I stopped relaxing.... this is so sad......:nono:
I also must say that as we think of the nature of Black Salons - There is one on every corner in some neighborhoods...... and many don't do what they are supposed to do. She probably did NOT flinch at the idea of color and relaxer on the same day.......
As many people do not flinch at the thought of a "patch test" before using these products!!!!!! during the 20 years I had a relaxer... NOT ONE stylist ever did a Patch test. EVER.

This time... The luck was not in her favor. An "inexperienced" assistant? Shampoo girls are NOT supposed to be putting on chems....

I don't know. She might only win her case due to the fault of the assistant...I will stay grey and nappy thank you very much.

ETA - To answer the question... YES! I would hurt somebody!

nor do they go through a checklist like they're supposed to. you know to find out what you've used in the past, etc. i've had one stylist do that with me.

I dont think there are many black salons up there. I think she was in Hitchin or Letchworth one of those places in Hertfordshire where they are VERY INEXPERIENCED with black hair. I bet she went to Tony and Guy or something. This was clearly not the first time she got a relaxer she must have wanted something big bold and fancy for her wedding . Im on the fence with this one because I dont think she went to a black salon and If so why were they mixing up chemicals to put on your head. Unless she bought her box of at home perm and went there with it. This story is not adding up to me. She could have gone to Sonia from round the corner or something. Why use a dye you've never used before why not request a patch test? She is saying the didnt perform a patch test on her, clearly she knows the procedure; I'm sure if she asked they would have given her one. I dont feel sorry for her.

ETA: She says the dye was added too soon after relaxing. What did you expect in a Salon. They're not going to have you sit there for hours while your head cools down. They probably didnt wash it out properly.

Last edited:
Terrible and I hope everything works out for her. I'd sue the hell out of some folks! boy oh boy!!

Reading this article gives me All the more reason why I'll never relax again...

I'm sure this has been said already, but this is the same risk we all run when we color our hair or apply chemicals at home OR at a salon. This is why it's so important to do patch tests (esp. with color, imo.)

I feel for her!

To be honest- I have never ever had a test patch done on me, even in my high end salon.
I doubt she will get a penny back if it was one of our local Black salons- sadly they will probably declare bankruptcy or something

Back