Would you have a wedding without bridesmaids/groomsmen?

brittle_hair

My second cousin mentioned that she didn't have bridesmaids at her wedding because she couldn't be bothered with the drama of paying for and picking dresses and selecting some friends over others as bridesmaids. The funny thing is its only as she said it, that I realised I didn't notice bridesmaids at her wedding (I only went to the sit-down dinner) - I can see why this would save a lot of headache - what are your thoughts?

Last edited:
I did this. I only had a Matron of Honor and my dh had a best man. It did save me a lot of headache and stress. I would do things the same way if I had to do it all over again :yep:

Last edited:
I had my friend as my matron of honor and my husband had his father as his best man. That was enough. We didn't want an entourage.

Hmmm I think there might be something in this.

The only thing about it is you miss out on the pretty photos with bridesmaids all dressed in the same colour and I think people would feel less responsible for helping out if they weren't bridesmaids.

Yes, I would and almost did this. The only reason we are having people stand up with us is because FH felt obligated to have his brother as best man because he was his in his wedding.

I didn't care anything about a bridal party.

I didn't care to have one either. He was so excited he asked everyone he wanted the day we got engaged. I didn't want it too look lopsided. We went from have 3 on each side and now 6. Now that we are closer to time some of them are being super annoying. I feel like going back to the lopsided look again.

Hmmm I think there might be something in this. The only thing about it is you miss out on the pretty photos with bridesmaids all dressed in the same colour and I think people would feel less responsible for helping out if they weren't bridesmaids.

But it's your wedding. Why should anyone feel responsibility to help ? I would never place my burdens on others any.

Hmmm I think there might be something in this.

The only thing about it is you miss out on the pretty photos with bridesmaids all dressed in the same colour and I think people would feel less responsible for helping out if they weren't bridesmaids.
That's what mothers, aunts, cousins and friends are for. People that care about you will jump in and help because they want to make the day worry free for you, whether they're a part of the bridal party or not.

That's what mothers, aunts, cousins and friends are for. People that care about you will jump in and help because they want to make the day worry free for you, whether they're a part of the bridal party or not.

This has actually been very true so far

My mother had a maid of honour only (her sister) and my father a best man only (his brother).

This is weird but I can't stand groomsmen. I would love to only have bridesmaids.

Back