Would You...Could You...Do This???

Alpha Female

Yesterday, I was in the hair salon (a unisex, multi-cultural salon). I noticed 2 white women seeing other hairstylists who came in with waist-length hair. By the time I got back to my hairstylist's chair after a shampoo & deep conditioner under the hair dryer, their tresses were shoulder length. They had cut off their hair to donate to 'Locks of Love,' a non-profit organization that provides hairpieces made of genuine human hair to financially disadvantaged children under the age of 18 who suffer from medical hair loss (ex. cancer patients, burn victims, alopecia sufferers, etc.).

This got me to thinking, so I have 2 questions:

(1) All of us are on a journey to grow our tresses. Would you...could you...after reaching your hair length goal, then cut off your hard-earned length as a donation for needy children unable to grow/maintain any hair at all?

(2) We all talk about how Black women are fully capable of growing long, thick, healthy hair, just like other ethnic groups. So then, why are the people who donate hair to 'Locks of Love' overwhelmingly of other ethnic groups? Why don't more Black women donate to this needy cause?

White women do it because they CAN. They retain length much easier and dare I say grow it faster (don't hit me! :lachen:) They simply do not sweat it like we do, that was at bra strap today when they cut it will be bra strap again by the same time next year. also, I (and I know a lot of others also) are sceptical of Lock of Love. I have heard that they DO NOT "give" the majority of the hair away, they sell it. But whenever you hear something having to do with promoting Locks of Love you never hear that part.

This is probably going to sound really selfish, but if I had waist length hair I might love my locks too much to give them away! even for a good cause, i can't imagine how long it would take to get there....then turn around and cut it all off!?!? nah.

I know someone who has done this...and she is African American. She had waist length THICK auburn colored hair (natural color). It was gorgeous. One day I came to work and her hair was shoulder length. She said that she donated it to L.O.L because her New Years Resolution (for 07) was to do something kind for someone that she doesn't know. She was basically unaffected by the loss of her hair length.

She also said that they told her that there were many African American children in need of "locks" but they have to settle for Caucasian hair texture because not enough of "us" donate.:perplexed

With this in mind I could definitely do it because first of all I am not that attached to my hair and I imagine that the feeling of giving selflessly like that is phenomenal!

I have heard of women who can grow hair really fast doing this just for that purpose alone.

I am not able to do it. But iwould not mind donating money.

There are so many alternatives to procuring my nappy hair for people who can't grow their own....nope I couldn't do this.

White women do it because they CAN. They retain length much easier and dare I say grow it faster (don't hit me! :lachen:) They simply do not sweat it like we do, that was at bra strap today when they cut it will be bra strap again by the same time next year. also, I (and I know a lot of others also) are sceptical of Lock of Love. I have heard that they DO NOT "give" the majority of the hair away, they sell it. But whenever you hear something having to do with promoting Locks of Love you never hear that part.

Exactly! I know we are PC here so I'm going to say that they "retain their hair" more as real.

As for the hair, what are they making wigs? or weaves? I mean because if they lose their hair, the hair grows back. When my mother's hair fell out from chemo, her hair did start growing back. Now for a child suffering from this, I imagine this is hard.

An old co-worker (black) with said her niece donates her hair every few years.Maybe if I grow to knee cap length I will donate.

honestly, i could never do something like that. maybe if i was at classic length, and i chopped it up to APL, but i've been stuck at around shoulder length since... oh... 1998? so i couldn't handle the loss of length.

and i heard locks of love makes donated hair into wigs, and sells them to chemotherapy patients, and other people that need it. not a lot of love there :perplexed

and i heard locks of love makes donated hair into wigs, and sells them to chemotherapy patients, and other people that need it. not a lot of love there :perplexed

ABSOLUTELY True!! I knock Locks of Love every time I can, as they are a scam, getting women to send them their hair under the impression it will be GIVEN to needy children, and instead they turn around and SELL it (sliding scale or NOT) to kids....

:nono:

Give time, give money, but keep yo danngone hair!

Absolutely I could. I'm enjoying my healthy hair journey to waist length but it is not that serious. I have cut off all my hair before and will probably do so again. It will grow back and I like the way I look with various hair lenths.

ABSOLUTELY True!! I knock Locks of Love every time I can, as they are a scam, getting women to send them their hair under the impression it will be GIVEN to needy children, and instead they turn around and SELL it (sliding scale or NOT) to kids....

:nono:

Give time, give money, but keep yo danngone hair!

Wow is this true? I was just about to say I think I would.

but now I don't know...:nono:

Some interesting comments...so I actually looked up the Locks of Love website. Some information you may not realize: they give away hair pieces free or charge or sell them on a sliding scale based on financial need. The reason why is because these aren't just weaves or things of that nature. These are hair prostheses for children with long-term or permament hair loss. They're custom made to fit the child's head to form a vacuum-seal, eliminating the need for tape, glue or other type of attachments/adhesives, and each strand of hair is hand injected into the silicone base up to 150,000 times for a more realistic-looking hairpiece. The vacuum seal means only the wearer can take off the hairpiece, providing a sense of security that allows kids to regain their self-confidence (don't have to worry about other kids pulling off the hairpiece, losing during sports, etc.). Prices (when sold vs. given away) can range from $3,500 and $6,000.

Whew! That's steep...especially for a family that may already be financially strapped due to the child's medical condition. On the other hand, L.O.L. does seem to incur a lot of expenses in making these realistic hairpieces, and as we all know, money doesn't grow on trees. They're a non-profit organization, so hopefully all the money they do make is going right back into operating expenses...

Thats what Im saying. Its easy for them to retain while us, hmm maybe a lil whileeeee :lachen:

This is probably going to sound really selfish, but if I had waist length hair I might love my locks too much to give them away! even for a good cause, i can't imagine how long it would take to get there....then turn around and cut it all off!?!? nah.

yes indeed. Ima cherish my waist length. Ill be there sometime in 2018 lol

No I wouldn't do it, the main reason being I am relaxed and Locks of Love uses virgin hair. If I were natural, I still doubt it. I would make a monetary donation or something.

This young Asian woman at my job always donates her hair and believe me her hair grows back in a matter of months. I would do it too if my hair would grow back that quickly...

Some interesting comments...so I actually looked up the Locks of Love website. Some information you may not realize: they give away hair pieces free or charge or sell them on a sliding scale based on financial need. The reason why is because these aren't just weaves or things of that nature. These are hair prostheses for children with long-term or permament hair loss. They're custom made to fit the child's head to form a vacuum-seal, eliminating the need for tape, glue or other type of attachments/adhesives, and each strand of hair is hand injected into the silicone base up to 150,000 times for a more realistic-looking hairpiece. The vacuum seal means only the wearer can take off the hairpiece, providing a sense of security that allows kids to regain their self-confidence (don't have to worry about other kids pulling off the hairpiece, losing during sports, etc.). Prices (when sold vs. given away) can range from $3,500 and $6,000.

Whew! That's steep...especially for a family that may already be financially strapped due to the child's medical condition. On the other hand, L.O.L. does seem to incur a lot of expenses in making these realistic hairpieces, and as we all know, money doesn't grow on trees. They're a non-profit organization, so hopefully all the money they do make is going right back into operating expenses...

The issue is, when you add up their numbers, they aren't GIVING much away, at all...... and I'm sorry - they are supposed to be a charitable org and are charging sick kids a couple of GRAND for a hairpiece? Nah, man, nah.... that ain't cool.

Wigs for Kids is another good organization (if you really wanna donate hair), and Pantene has a charitable org, too....

I have a friend who grew her hair below BSL. A few months ago I saw her at church one Sunday, and it was cut to neck length. Later she told me that she had donated her hair to Locs of Luv....admirable. It's grown to SL.

If I was plagued with fast-growing hair that accumulated more than 12 inches a year regardless of what I did to it, I would willingly and joyfully donate 12 to 18 inches of hair without question! :grin:

I have a friend who grew her hair below BSL. A few months ago I saw her at church one Sunday, and it was cut to neck length. Later she told me that she had donated her hair to Locs of Luv....admirable. It's grown to SL.

If I was plagued with fast-growing hair that accumulated more than 12 inches a year regardless of what I did to it, I would willingly and joyfully donate 12 to 18 inches of hair without question! :grin:

same here!

The longest I would want my hair would be APL. If it grows longer than that I would definitely donate it.

I've done it twice. The last time my stylist cut the ponytail under the necessary length requirement for Locks of love so it is somewhere at home in a box.

I am debating whether or not I want a bob in March If I do, I will donate the hair again.

Last edited:
I don't trust that organization, so I wouldn't cut off my hair to donate it to them. I give money or my time to charities I trust.

Absolutely I could. I'm enjoying my healthy hair journey to waist length but it is not that serious. I have cut off all my hair before and will probably do so again. It will grow back and I like the way I look with various hair lenths.

Ditto.its just hair..if you have the capability to grow it to waist length once, you can do it again.

I'd do it.:yep:

I'd donate my hair to an organization other than Locks of Love. I might do so in a few years when I get tired of my long hair. I should donate my daughter's hair that I cut in August...

(1) All of us are on a journey to grow our tresses. Would you...could you...after reaching your hair length goal, then cut off your hard-earned length as a donation for needy children unable to grow/maintain any hair at all?
Yes I could and I have planned to for many years now. All they require is 10 inches.

(2) Why don't more Black women donate to this needy cause?
Come on. If you are a black woman then you know full well that hair is a big deal to black women, and that many black women due to ignorance and improper hair care have a hard time growing their hair.

I don't think it has as much to do with how fast our hair grows vs theirs. If you read other hair sites, there are lots of women (non- African American) who would not donate their hair for a variety of reasons. Those reasons are very similar to ours: want to keep their long hair, they don't trust Locks of Love, they don't know about the process etc.

With so many women here that grow out their hair and then do a big chop, I think there would be consideration of donating to Locks of Love -- if they knew about it, knew how the process worked, and trusted that their hair would get to an African American child in need.

I don't trust that organization, so I wouldn't cut off my hair to donate it to them. I give money or my time to charities I trust.
Why don't you trust them?

Edit:

I (and I know a lot of others also) are sceptical of Lock of Love. I have heard that they DO NOT "give" the majority of the hair away, they sell it. But whenever you hear something having to do with promoting Locks of Love you never hear that part.

:perplexed Really??? How do you know this?

Back