Would You Color a Child's Hair?

Nazaneen

I was at Walmart yesterday and saw a little mixed girl, around 5 or so with rough looking, brassy blondish colored hair. The girl looked biracial and I assumed it was her natural color even though it looked off to me. I've seen plenty of brown skinned biracial kids with fairly light hair. Usually the hair is beautiful though and not dry and unnatural looking :look:.
I go to the adjacent aisle and I see a second child, maybe 8 years old with the same color hair and then I noticed very dark roots. Not the kind of darker roots that goes with light hair but ROOTS. Clearly the light hair was a bleach job.
Both of these little girls had bleached hair. I have never seen anything like it. These girls were so young. It was dry and awful looking too. I think their hair was straightened as well.
The mom was an Afro Latina . I couldn't help but wonder whether she wanted the kids to appear more Caucasian. Why would someone do that to their kids? Coloring a little girl's hair that way doesn't sit right with me but to each their own I suppose.

Last edited:
That's insane. :nono: I can't even get down with temporary color until a certain age. My 10 year old daughter has been asking for hair chalk, and I'm like
attachment.php

:lol:

Yeah one white girl from my hs had her hair dyed blonde since I moved here I 6th grande and someone said they've known her since like first sec I nd grande and she's had the yet hair since then.
Her mom was a colorist and the color always looked good and natural lol

NO!! A big No from Canada. Madness. Kids should not be doing adult things. (dye hair/makeup/grown woman style clothes) etc etc...

No. The little girl on My Wife and Kids had her hair dyed to lighten it and I always thought it was the oddest thing.

I might be OK with a temp spray/chalk for Halloween or some other type of event but that's it.

A lot of the white kids where I live do it. Believe it or not - it's the BOYS. The mothers will get them a little spiky cut and dye it blonde or blonde or the tips or something. Me no likey.

Not my kids, but the Hispanic & white kids around here do it. I thought it was weird before I moved here, but now I don't bat an eye because it's so common.

No, I wouldn't. I recall having a burgundy almost purple temporary rinse out color in my hair around age 11. I see lots of women with that color these days. I have no idea why my mom allowed it or maybe my sister was practicing on me, I can't even remember.

For my future kids, when they are 13, they can experiment with temporary color sprays and rinses. More permanent dye processing will have to wait for high school if s/he is willing to take care of their hair.

For younger children, they can wear a clip in or extension braids in the color of their choosing; but even that will be at the discretion of mommy and daddy.

N to the O no. Kids don't kno jack about taking care of coloured hair let kids be kids no need to involve them In big ppl tings lol

It's the same as getting your under 10 year old daughter acrylic tips.

I've seen numerous from the ghetto to the upper middle class black people do this. Acrylics and jack up adult nails and those Koreans do NOT like being told how to do your nails and you're a grown a$$ woman.

So why you trust them with your baby girl's fingers to potentially cut skin and cuticles and run that burning pink cream and buffer over her little fingers I don't understand :nono:

Nope! I remember in 4th grade this mexican girl got streaks put in her hair so then all the other Mexican girls and white girls started doing it. Me and the other black girls in school had to be happy with our color cause our parents where not having it.

When I was an adult I dyed my hair bright red (like Charlie Baltimore red) and my little cousin who's half white asked me to do her hair like that (she was 12). I didnt want to be the bad guy so I jokingly said "only if your parents say its ok" thinking they'd say no like my mom would have. THEY SAID IT WAS OK! At which point I had to then put my foot down and say I wasnt doing it.

A lot of the white kids where I live do it. Believe it or not - it's the BOYS. The mothers will get them a little spiky cut and dye it blonde or blonde or the tips or something. Me no likey.

Funny enough, that is a very popular look right now for boys and men down here Hawaii. :perplexed The spikes are cool, but blonde hair is not cute on Asians or darker people, so I'm not sure why people seem to love it. Then again, it's not odd to see certain groups of people here with mullets, so there ya go.

Anyway, to answer the question, I'd dye my child's hair in very select circumstances. I knew a woman who had children with a man who has white patches in his hair. All three of their kids inherited these patches. The boys were OK it, but it wore on their daughter's self-esteem. If she were mine, once she hit 9/10 years old I'd let her dye the patches to match the rest of her hair color.

I had a little Hispanic girl in my class who had natural red hair. For a while I thought it was dyed but turns out she was born with it. A lot of kids like to do chalking im cool with that but I wouldnt put a permanent color in a child's hair.

To me it is no different than putting a relaxer in a child's hair.

Not something I would do with my kids, but hey, to each their own.

To me it is no different than putting a relaxer in a child's hair.

Not something I would do with my kids, but hey, to each their own.

See on that note I also have some personal issues with that as well. I dont think we should e exposing our little ones to chemicals so early in life. I mean I know a lot of us got our hair relaxed at a very very early age, but that doesnt mean we should be doing it to our seeds. I mean the best thing you can do for your family is to learn from past mistakes and not repeat them, yeah?

No, I didn't allow my daughters to get color until they were in there teens. Even then it was semi-permanent. They didn't move to permanent color until age 16. I feel so dated right now! LOL

She would have to be at least 10 years old, & semi permanent jet black rinse... not on the regular though

No, and the majority Latino population wouldn't either. But I have heard of cases in which little girls would have their hair lightened and straightened so they appeared like all the other white kids. Evidently, somebody had Hebrew hair. SMH.

I've used henna in my hair since I was about 6 yrs old. But this was a family thing - all the girls and women in my family hennaed their hair. Everyone was outraged when I shaved and bleached my hair blond at 13. I would never allow my child to color their hair, except with henna, of course.

Back