Work appropriate braids?

Do you ladies think this is work appropriate? I really want to keep my hair in braids for the summer...with my own hair - no extensions. But I'm not interested in individual/box braids.

I saw a young lady today in a suit that had tiny cornrows at the top that then hung down at the bottom, and then it looked like the back was in small box braids. I actually really liked it. I would definitely rock it in my "day to day personal life" but I work in finance. My company over all is pretty liberal. After all, when I interviewed several years ago, my hair was in micro-twists...after I was hired, one of the people who interviewed me (you do it in groups and rounds) said she liked my hair, and knew that I was my own person.

That being said, I can definitely get away with a LOT more than most people can in a corporate setting.

I'm just trying to figure out if this is pushing it too far.

Thoughts?

I've attached a pic of A. Keyes for a couple of reasons.

#1 - The style I mentioned before had cornrows about this size, but they were straight back, and then NOT conformed to the head in the back, but free form...hope that makes sense
#2 - what do you think of that actual style as well.

Again, either way, I think my hair is at a length where this would look pretty good on my natural hair with no extensions.

Anyone have any other thoughts/pics of these types of styles that would be ok for work? Again, not looking for micros, or individuals, but something that can start with small/tiny cornrows at the top. I don't know. I was thinking of getting a weave at the beginning of June (full, with closure), but I always get antsy and don't want to stick with it. And I'm tired of twists and twist outs. Hair is thick enough as it is, now with this pregnancy, it's that much thicker, growing that much faster, and that much harder to deal with on a daily basis. :wallbash:

aliciakeys.png

I also am in a main stream setting. I wear braids. I think that style in the pic should work just fine, as long as they are neat, and try not to do any eccentric colors. I usually just do black or off black. Maybe a few highlights but nothing too overpowering. I also think that if the braids are curly aka Diana Ross, it's best if they are pulled back into a professional bun during the day.

The style looks fine to me. I've done something similar with twists: cornrows in front and loose twists in the back (no extensions); and I've done mini-cornrows in front and single extension braids in the back.

As long as a style looks neat and properly groomed, it's work appropriate as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks y'all. I think I will go with simple, tiny cornrows in the front like the pic above, and somehow have them hanging in the back like the pick below...hopefully the braiders can make it work! I just want them to be tiny.

alicia-keys-braids-hg-de.jpg

I hope you rock your braids at work. Actually, it is illegal for your workplace to bar you from wearing a natural hair style as long as it is neat, clean and professional.

As long as the braids are kept simple, I don't see the issue with it. The design in the second pic of A Keys is a little too much for my taste... But I like the overall style. You can still wear buns or banana clips if you have to wear a suit or attend an important meeting.

As long as the braids are kept simple, I don't see the issue with it. The design in the second pic of A Keys is a little too much for my taste... But I like the overall style. You can still wear buns or banana clips if you have to wear a suit or attend an important meeting.

I can agree but it really depends on the culture of the employer. I've spent a lot of time in corporate America and contrary to what you read on the internet you'd be surprised at what people get away with wearing on the job. The first pic was my look for a while back in the later 90s - cornrows going straight back plus extension hair I had no problems getting hired and staying on the job with it. Watch out for your hairline though - I remember losing a chunk of hair right in the middle of my forehead because of the tension and weight from the kanekalon but it grew back with no problem.

I agree, which is why I said I wanted the cornrows going straight back from the first picture but hanging down in the back like in the second picture.

Watch out for your hairline though - I remember losing a chunk of hair right in the middle of my forehead because of the tension and weight from the kanekalon but it grew back with no problem.

I am NOT looking to use extension hair. I want my own hair, with my own length, small cornrows, straight back.

I think this style would be appropriate. And you can get multiple rows of cornrows so that your hair is hanging loose in the back instead of stuck to your scalp.

Back