Woman Proposes To Boyfriend On Kiss Cam

What an embarrassing thing to do in front of a whole hockey arena...

Was that an engagement ring for him? He didn't take it did he?

Maybe he proposed with that ring before and she wasn't ready, now she wants to pht it on?

giphy.gif

Been using this gif all day! SMH

I find it interesting that as women that promote equality between genders, we still insist that the only one who has the right to ask for the other's hand in marriage must be the man. Doesn't it sound odd that we want women to get the same education, make the same money, work the same jobs as men, but leave the responsibility of asking for the other's hand in marriage to the man?

Don't get me wrong, I've not done this before.. I dont think I could even if I wasnt married... just a foreign concept culturally.. but I find it interesting to see how we pick and choose where we want equality, and where we want men to preserve their dominant roles.

Also curious, how does it work in homosexual couples? Can anyone ask the other since there is no gender difference?

I find it interesting that as women that promote equality between genders, we still insist that the only one who has the right to ask for the other's hand in marriage must be the man. Doesn't it sound odd that we want women to get the same education, make the same money, work the same jobs as men, but leave the responsibility of asking for the other's hand in marriage to the man?

Don't get me wrong, I've not done this before.. I dont think I could even if I wasnt married... just a foreign concept culturally.. but I find it interesting to see how we pick and choose where we want equality, and where we want men to preserve their dominant roles.

Also curious, how does it work in homosexual couples? Can anyone ask the other since there is no gender difference?

I find it equally interesting that people don't get the concept that having equal rights doesn't mean we forego the intimate relationship dynamics between a man and woman that makes it so uniquely appealing.
I am independent, but that doesn't mean I don't want to to be courted and protected. He may even be the lead in the relationship.
One of the great dynamics between a man and a woman is for him to show chivalry and for me to show appreciation.

I find it equally interesting that people don't get the concept that having equal rights doesn't mean we forego the intimate relationship dynamics between a man and woman that makes it so uniquely appealing.
I am independent, but that doesn't mean I don't want to to be courted and protected. He may even be the lead in the relationship.
One of the great dynamics between a man and a woman is for him to show chivalry and for me to show appreciation.

I see what your are saying.... My point is the tradition of men courting, protecting, and leading comes from centuries of living in a patriarchal society where a man decides when and who he wants to marry, where women become property of the men they marry, and the men decide if they want to allow their wives get educated or work ...

There is nothing wrong with courting, protecting and leading... that is my preference too.... However, I feel like sometimes women pick and choose the areas that we want to be equal rather than wanting true equality... e.g. some of us want to work the exact same hours, and have the man pay for the extra help in child care costs, but we want to keep all the money we make.... We want to have at least the exact same opportunities, make at least the same money, but marry a man close to our age who magically has a giant ring, a fancy house, a 6 figure salary etc.... I wrestle with these things because I'm a feminist who is accustomed to some traditions so not pointing fingers at someone.. it makes me question what feminism really is though and if I really want the things that I'm fighting for...

As for the OP, couldn't be me but goodluck to them.

Sure it does...

Women who think this is achievable are suspending reality. Intimate relationship dynamics are the reason for why men choose to treat women differently/ not equally. We cannot have it both ways. We cannot expect men to treat women one way in public and another way in private. Human dynamics do not work that way. Men who are protective of their SO's are generally protective of women in general. Men who are inconsiderate of the femininity of their partner are the same way with women they work with. We see examples of this everyday.

Men court and protect women because they think we need them to do it. Why? Because we are unable to do these things for ourselves. When you show them that you can indeed do everything they can do they wonder what exactly is their purpose in your life. Heck it is unreasonable to ask your fellow women to turn this off and on depending on the setting.

Last edited:
I have recently been dating a guy who is chivalrous (I'm sure it has to do with his father and the fact that his parents have been married for 50+ yrs). Although he is not completely old fashioned , he definitely has the protector and provider part down. Over the years I have evolved to allow men to treat me like a lady. It has taken years for me to get here but it is one of the best life choices, I've made. I suggested we go away for the weekend and without any questions this guy planned the entire trip... from the restaurants to the hotel to the entertainment, it was a wonderful, drama free, fulfilling weekend. I didn't have to think about anything... AND I DIDN'T.

I have recently been dating a guy who is chivalrous (I'm sure it has to do with his father and the fact that his parents have been married for 50+ yrs). Although he is not completely old fashioned , he definitely has the protector and provider part down. Over the years I have evolved to allow men to treat me like a lady. It has taken years for me to get here but it is one of the best life choices, I've made. I suggested we go away for the weekend and without any questions this guy planned the entire trip... from the restaurants to the hotel to the entertainment, it was a wonderful, drama free, fulfilling weekend. I didn't have to think about anything... AND I DIDN'T.
This is sooo good to hear. Sounds like a great experience for you.

Sure it does...

Women who think this is achievable are suspending reality. Intimate relationship dynamics are the reason for why men choose to treat women differently/ not equally. We cannot have it both ways. We cannot expect men to treat women one way in public and another way in private. Human dynamics do not work that way. Men who are protective of their SO's are generally protective of women in general. Men who are inconsiderate of the femininity of their partner are the same way with women they work with. We see examples of this everyday.

Men court and protect women because they think we need them to do it. Why? Because we are unable to do these things for ourselves. When you show them that you can indeed do everything they can do they wonder what exactly is their purpose in your life. Heck it is unreasonable to ask your fellow women to turn this off and on depending on the setting.

Yep.

I think this is the issue this generation is having. We are trying to balance to the two dynamics and it is a hot damn mess out here.

Back