Witnessing HairCare No-No's Since LHCF

SvelteVelvet

When you see other people styling their hair and doing the 'wrong' things...do you cringe like me?

I was at a friends house (relaxed mid-neck length hair) and we're getting ready to go out, now she's also a few years older than me, but besides that I just would not feel comfy giving her any suggestions on what she should do with her hair.

She's in the mirror and she takes a bristle brush, first she puts either vaseline or grease, I believe it was vaseline, takes the bristle brush and runs it under water and with the brush furiously brushes her hair (from edges and root to tip) into a piggy and repeats the process with the water and brush over and over. Her ends are terrible and her hair overall is uneven thin and is stiff if she wears it out.

Being that I know she won't be receptive, nor would she probably even take the time to care, nor do I feel comfortable saying anything, I just sit there and cringe.

i know the feeling

i saw my mom comb her hair with a smaller comb from root to ends and was tugging and raking the hair like she was landscaping or something. i spoke up and said that it looked like she was ripping her hair out (there was a lot of hair in the comb too) and maybe she she try from ends to root to detangle. well she didn't wanna here that and kinda got an attitude so that ended that convo. :(

what is a piggy?! poor thing, i remember those days... are you sure she wouldn't accept some advice, cuz she surely needs it.

i went to visit my sister and saw her in the bathroom flatironing her hair which she just recently dyed with blonde highlights. She had it set to the highest setting (415 degrees :eek: ) As she was combing each section (with a rat tail comb including her NG) i could see (and hear) pieces of the highlighted hair just ripping out. i asked when is the last time she deep conditioned, she didn't remember... i told her that she should roller set and just wrap or pincurl it instead of flatironing so much cuz it looks like the highlighted parts are really damaged. i asked her if she wanted me to deep condition it for her later and set it. she was like, when did you become a hair dresser?! i told her i've been researching online. and she said she doesn't trust the internet, she's just going to do what her hairdresser recommends.... :ohwell: :perplexed maybe i'll try again in a few weeks when she's bald!!

You want to hear something crazy? I have known a few ladies who used vaseline and water with a brush on a regular basis and their hair was long, thick, and healthy....whenever I meet one and she tells me that's all she uses, I know that it won't work for my mostly 4b hair. Thinking back to the last lady whose hair was around BSL...she said it was relaxed but her ponytail looked wavy...I would guess she was proabably a 3a....come to think of it, I don't think she brushed "to the ends"...just to the point where she would secure her ponytail holder.

Okay, that may have been a little OT. Sorry.

dillard said:
what is a piggy?! poor thing, i remember those days... are you sure she wouldn't accept some advice, cuz she surely needs it.

i went to visit my sister and saw her in the bathroom flatironing her hair which she just recently dyed with blonde highlights. She had it set to the highest setting (415 degrees :eek: ) As she was combing each section (with a rat tail comb including her NG) i could see (and hear) pieces of the highlighted hair just ripping out. i asked when is the last time she deep conditioned, she didn't remember... i told her that she should roller set and just wrap or pincurl it instead of flatironing so much cuz it looks like the highlighted parts are really damaged. i asked her if she wanted me to deep condition it for her later and set it. she was like, when did you become a hair dresser?! i told her i've been researching online. and she said she doesn't trust the internet, she's just going to do what her hairdresser recommends.... :ohwell: :perplexed maybe i'll try again in a few weeks when she's bald!!

I couldn't call it a pony, it was 2 inches and looked like it had 20 strands in it.

I don't know how she would take advice me volunteering it. But if she ever asked me what I would do to her hair I'd tell her about LHCF with the quickness and spew tips out like a machine gun.

Kimberly said:
You want to hear something crazy? I have known a few ladies who used vaseline and water with a brush on a regular basis and their hair was long, thick, and healthy....whenever I meet one and she tells me that's all she uses, I know that it won't work for my mostly 4b hair. Thinking back to the last lady whose hair was around BSL...she said it was relaxed but her ponytail looked wavy...I would guess she was proabably a 3a....come to think of it, I don't think she brushed "to the ends"...just to the point where she would secure her ponytail holder.

I remember this being done alot when I was a kid, done to myself and to others with grease or vaseline to the edges to smooth them and it didn't do damage, in fact we had strong healthy hair. My mom did this with my older sisters too and I remember pics of them with two long thick ponytails when they were youngins. But with the poor shape this womans hair was in, she had no business raking that brush through the entire length of her hair.

Last weekend my sister relaxed her hair (after only 3 weeks since her last relaxer, and her NG was less than 1/2") and I advised her than she should try stretching her relaxer. Well she said to me " so i have that mess that you call hair?". So know i just enjoy watching her destroy her hair! :angeldevi

Kimberly said:

Are you sure those ladies are telling you the truth, though? They could be doing a lot more/different than using vaseline and water. Their hair could still be damaged, but look fine in whatever style they're wearing.

Back OT: I see hair no-nos all the time, working in downtown ATL. I won't even tell you how many times I've gone to the CVS near my office and seen ladies in the haircare aisle buying black gel, Pink Lotion, and other hair killers. They look at me funny when I buy my Suave & V05 conditioners ("white girl products") instead of the "Gro Fast" or "Dr. Miracle" ("black hair products") or the like.

Folks just don't know....and most really aren't ready to learn.:(

dillard said:

:eek: :lol: :lol: Sorry, I couldn't help it!!

With the last lady, I'm sure that's what she used. She was running late for work one morning and I caught her in the bathroom with her brush and jar of vaseline...:eek: :look: :lol: She was super nice and I had no reason to suspect she wasn't telling me the truth. She almost always had her hair in a ponytail. I only saw her wear it down like twice the whole 18 months we worked together. I remember telling her that my edges would come out if I wore mine pulled back like that every day and here I am stuck in "bun mode"...:ohwell:

I think it had more to do with hair type/texture. I know my hair would not respond well...like the OPs friend. I would look a mess.

preciousjewel76 said:
Are you sure those ladies are telling you the truth, though? They could be doing a lot more/different than using vaseline and water. Their hair could still be damaged, but look fine in whatever style they're wearing.

Back OT: I see hair no-nos all the time, working in downtown ATL. I won't even tell you how many times I've gone to the CVS near my office and seen ladies in the haircare aisle buying black gel, Pink Lotion, and other hair killers. They look at me funny when I buy my Suave & V05 conditioners ("white girl products") instead of the "Gro Fast" or "Dr. Miracle" ("black hair products") or the like.

Folks just don't know....and most really aren't ready to learn.:(

Working in nyc, I too see OODLES of hair no no's. I can't help but recoil. I just want to grab them and deep moisturize their dry hair and give them cathy howse's book "ultra black hair growth II" to read! I try to help any of my family or friends that are willing to listen. I got my cousin on board. But my mom and my sister are so stuck in their ways.....Maybe they'll listen when their bald too! :eek:

My mom relaxes her entire head everytime. If it doesnt "take" she will do another relaxer the same day.:eek:

Ive been trying to help my teen cousin salvage her hair. Poor baby hair wont grow past ear length because of her mommas evil ways.:mad: I wish we were in the same city, because I would take over her hair. Everytime I go visit I let her twist my hair for me so I can have a reason to give her 20 dollars spending money, and she always says how much she wishes she could have hair like mine. :(

Her mother perms and throws a weave over it for months at a time. They dont wash their hair until its time for another perm. :eek: They use loads of grease and dont wrap their hair at night.:eek:

OnAHairQuest said:
My mom relaxes her entire head everytime. If it doesnt "take" she will do another relaxer the same day.:eek:

Ive been trying to help my teen cousin salvage her hair. Poor baby hair wont grow past ear length because of her mommas evil ways.:mad: I wish we were in the same city, because I would take over her hair. Everytime I go visit I let her twist my hair for me so I can have a reason to give her 20 dollars spending money, and she always says how much she wishes she could have hair like mine. :(

Her mother perms and throws a weave over it for months at a time. They dont wash their hair until its time for another perm. :eek: They use loads of grease and dont wrap their hair at night.:eek:

The hair untruths that i see make me want to cry. When iwas getting my hair done, i saw the woman putting the relaxer on her hair from root to tip.. ooo it was a mess and then left it on for as long as i was in there getting my hair was done. she just started rinsing it out as i was leaving... My mom uses heavy heat all the time and so does my cousin. There is no such thing as a deep conditioner...

My mom believes that you are supposed to keep it on until you cant stand the burn any longer.

Sometimes she even messes with the forumla of the no lye kit mixes, by taking out some of the creme so that you have more of the liquid in the potion. :eek:

I still dont understand how she is not bald. She says its because she has tough "slave hair".:eek: :eek: :eek: :(

I see it all of the time. I just don't say anything anymore because people take offense easily.

The teenager that stay across the street from me did ask me what I was doing because she wanted her hair to grow like mine. I told I could hook her up. She's coming over this weekend so I can start to treat her hair.

SvelteVelvet said:
I couldn't call it a pony, it was 2 inches and looked like it had 20 strands in it.

I don't know how she would take advice me volunteering it. But if she ever asked me what I would do to her hair I'd tell her about LHCF with the quickness and spew tips out like a machine gun.

:lachen:@ the bolded...muahahhaha

There's a nice lady I work with and when I started here her hair was like SL well slowly as time passed it thinned and the ends got all chewed up looking and pretty soon it was like mid-neck length. I have fought the urge soooo many times to tell her 'bout LHCF to try and help her situation. Anyhow she comes in last week with a head full micros :eek: and I'm like uh-oh that is soooo not going to help matters. :perplexed

I knew this lady that went to my church years ago her and her daughters hair was always very silky straight and usually pulled back in a pony, probably mid-length but the edges were kinda far back (don't know if that was just a genetic thing or what) also looked sorta thin but had a healthy illusion. I was around when someone asked her if she went to the salon or if she did their own relaxers and she said "Oh I do em myself" Somewhere in the conversation she said she "leaves the relaxer in for an hour, hour and a half.":eek:

It depends on the person. If they genuinely want to know then i tell them. Petroluem is my number one pet peeve. (yeah.... out the jar?) And relaxing a lot. I didn't relax my hair that often before LHCF so i knew that was a no-no. Cutting hair is grow it back... that i knew was a crock o' sh*t before i joined too. Well then why are so many people still struggling to grow back the hair?

Last edited:
I have a co-worker that still relaxes every 4 weeks sometimes 3, and is constantly pulling her hair back and slicking it Ampro. :ohwell:

SvelteVelvet said:
:lachen: bwaah haaa haaa! *hoping no one looks at my fotki and sees that my pony is about 2 inches* :ohwell:

OnAHairQuest said:
My mom believes that you are supposed to keep it on until you cant stand the burn any longer.
Sometimes she even messes with the forumla of the no lye kit mixes, by taking out some of the creme so that you have more of the liquid in the potion. :eek:

I still dont understand how she is not bald. She says its because she has tough "slave hair".:eek: :eek: :eek: :(

woah!! ur mom is on the NEXT level girlie. i think we need to start a "Pray for OnAHairQuest's Momma Challenge" :nono: atleast you've seen the light...

OnAHairQuest said:

Aww...this is just horrible.:eek:

My mom uses heat on her hair EVERY morning and dyes her hair too often. It's about midway to her ear in length and super dry. She's complains about the dryness and lack of shine. I've told her the do's and don'ts, but she not ready to change yet.

Before I found LHCF, I never relaxed too much mostly because of laziness. I had a friend in high school though who at one point was relaxing her hair every week. For real. The top of her head was about an inch long and the sides and back looked like they were shaven from far away, but close up you could see that the hair had broken off badly. I told her a bunch of times that I didn't think it was a good idea to relax that often, but she didn't listen to me. Eventually she stopped and her hair grew back.

dillard said:
:lachen: bwaah haaa haaa! *hoping no one looks at my fotki and sees that my pony is about 2 inches* :ohwell:

woah!! ur mom is on the NEXT level girlie. i think we need to start a "Pray for OnAHairQuest's Momma Challenge" :nono: atleast you've seen the light...
Yeah girls she is. I am trying to get her to cut and go natural.

lawd these are horrible

i remember 1 girl i went to HS with refused to put any moisturizer in her hair. man her hair looked horrible!!!!!

my cousin permed the dickens out her daughters hair because according to her "the hair wouldn't get straight" (as in bone straight) so now the poor child has no hair.

then the grandfather is a well known hair dresser in the area and does whatever the child asks. so she had all different hair colors within a 6 month span. of course her hair is really really short now. SMH

What really saddens me, is when I see mothers actively damaging their little girls hair, just not even giving them a chance or choice in the matter. One of my sisters good friends was giving her daughter relaxers and phony ponys at 3 years old! I don't know if her reasoning was because she was lazy and didn't want to deal with thickness or if she thought it was "cute" but I thought that was sad.

there's this woman at my job with the TIGHTEST ponytail ever known to man. I don't know what she's trying to do to her hairline. Seriously it is sooooooooooooooooooo tight, that her eyes take on a chinky like form. I get very disturbed when I see it. On top of the tightness, she piles gel on it. And I know it's probably some alcohol filled brown gel.

RavenIvygurl said:
there's this woman at my job with the TIGHTEST ponytail ever known to man. I don't know what she's trying to do to her hairline. Seriously it is sooooooooooooooooooo tight, that her eyes take on a chinky like form. I get very disturbed when I see it. On top of the tightness, she piles gel on it. And I know it's probably some alcohol filled brown gel.

This makes me cringe more than anything because it always looks like the hair along the hairline and edges are holding on for dear life. And then, when I see this with women who wear very thick, very long phony ponies and it looks like their hair could snap off when they turn their heads. It's a painful thing to see.

Back