Winter Hair Care Suggestions?

scorpio

Does anyone have any good tips for caring and styling your hair during the cold winter months? I have worked so hard to get my hair to where it is right now that I can't see myself with damaged hair due to the cold. I know no wool scarves and hats and collars, but I am trying to come up with other suggestions to. I feel so good when my hair is down and nicely styled. I am certainly going to miss that this winter, but am not willing to compromise my hair health just to wear it down (only on special occasions). I don't feel as pretty with my hair up and out of the way, but what else can I do? Does anybody out there have any styling techniques that work for them? Let me know!!!

MOISTURE! That's the best thing ever.

Even though you don't want to wear your hair up, there are so many styles you can do with your hair off of your neck. Try experimenting with various types of false ponytails. There are so many types and color. My personal favorite is the curly one called Spring Curl. It makes my big ole head look more equal, and it also makes me look much younger and slightly babyish which I don't mind.

Just make sure to "M O P" your hair ...

M = MOISTURIZE..
shampoo/deep condition wkly, conditioner washes wkly, use creme moisturizers daily (I'm still searching for one that's not too heavy)

O = OIL
pre-shampoo/hot oil treatments, daily "ends" oiling, add a dab of oil to wet hair/before setting to lock in the moisture. Another member (I'm sorry, I forgot your name sweetie /images/graemlins/frown.gif )posted a wonderful technique...called "the baggie method". It's similar to Adrienne's method, just more intensive. Basically, you wear a ponytail; your hair (ends) is submerged in a baggie, contained with oil. The baggie is secured to your ponytail. This is worn all day. Please do a search under "baggie method or baggie technique" for a full detail description. I've tried this once, and I LOVED IT!

P = PROTECT
wear satin/silk scarves or hair bonnets to bed, sleep on satin/silk pillow cases, line winter hats with satin/silk coverings (this has worked wonders for my hair...otherwise the winter hat would just absorb all of the moisture that you are trying to maintain in your hair), bun styles, of course absolute NO heat, handle hair especially carefully. Try not to manipulate the hair...no playing in it, little combing/brushing, etc.
I have basically explained my personal winter regime. Hope this works for you as well.

God Bless,
Peachtree

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Just make sure to "M O P" your hair ...

[/ QUOTE ] That's excellent advice. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

It has been really cold here already so I started massaging some coconut oil into my scalp every three days and it has helped alot. I do it before I go to bed and work it down the whole hair shaft. In the morning it is super soft and easy to comb.

i love wearing my hair down, tying it really doesnt go with my face! i will MOP and wash 2-3 times a week. i will wear fake, well-groomed, pony tails (btw blue magic gives fake ponytails a nice natural sheen) to protect my own ends. i will also buy a silky cloth and cover my head WHEN I GO OUTSIDE, it comes off when i am inside.

Back