Will someone please help (kinda long)

Browndilocks

Browndisha Brownie Sundae
I just cut a few inches of my hair because my ends were looking thin. I know why this happened but I'm not sure about any alternatives to counter this. Here's what I've been doing:

1) I wash my hair with AO or CON. Maybe Nioxin once in a while.

2) I use Silicon Mix conditioner, then rinse out.

3) I get a cheapie conditioner like DDTA or Herbal Essences and saturate my hair with it, alot like a leave-in.

4) I comb the cheapie conditioner through then put my hair in a ponytail.

5) I take the ponytail and twist it into a bun where it's secured with a big metal clip or good hair days pins.

After the bun is done, I just put on a scarf to lay my hair down. I might spritz my hair with a little water during the days that I don't wash to avoid frizzies, but I usually wash every 3-4 days, since I work out.

The next time I wash, when I take my hair down, I am shedding from my ponytail like crazy, as if I had never combed through my hair the first time. That ponytail stays damp in between washings and my ends are tucked in. Yet I do not understand why I'm shedding like this. :confused:

Could it be because of the cheapie conditioner not being rinsed out? Is it the airdrying? I started doing this in the first place because my hair is very thick & dense and I needed an easy style that was low maintenance and workout friendly. I'm also natural. Using a thin conditioner helps me "tame" my hair to get it into the ponytail in the first place.

Not really sure what the problem is. Any suggestions?

So you leave you hair in a bun for 3 or 4 days straight without taking it down? Are you securing your bun with some type of ponytail holder? If so, you could be experiencing breakage from the tension of the ponytail holder and having damp hair.

ETA: I saw where you just use pins or a clip..no ponytail holder. I think maybe the shedding might be a little normal because of the not combing you hair for 4 days. I notice when I really don't comb my hair daily the next time I wash I seem to have alot of hair in the comb.

Last edited:
Do you rinse the cheapie conditioner out???

ETA: I see that you don't...I would rinse that out because I don't believe its meant to be left in and then I would saturate my ponytail holder with olive oil and release my hair at night to give it a rest from being up all the time.

Last edited:
marie170 said:
So you leave you hair in a bun for 3 or 4 days straight without taking it down? Are you securing your bun with some type of ponytail holder? If so, you could be experiencing breakage from the tension of the ponytail holder and having damp hair.

I agree. Are you pulling your hair tightly to create the ponytail/bun? Many ladies have had problems with "wet bunning". Your hair is extremely fragile when wet, so this could be causing breakage. Maybe you could try airdrying with rollers & a scarf (check sylver2's or Locks of Luv's fotkis) before you bun your hair. Bunning your hair while it's dry may ease some of the breakge. Also, try to avoid using metal clips on your hair, especially when it's wet.

Also, to be clear, are you seeing breakage or shedding? Shedded hairs will have a tiny white bulb on the end. Broken hairs will not, and they are usually short pieces.

marie170 said:

ETA: I saw where you just use pins or a clip..no ponytail holder. I think maybe the shedding might be a little normal because of the not combing you hair for 4 days. I notice when I really don't comb my hair daily the next time I wash I seem to have alot of hair in the comb.

Yes - I am securing my ponytail with a holder and I'm securing the length of the ponytail with the pins. I do not use ouchless bands because the process of actually "twisting" them into my head breaks my hair. I just use the goody ponytail holders that I've been using since I was a little girl:

http://www.goody.com/Products/Collections/Girls/Girls/Large_Twin_Beads.aspx

preciousjewel76 said:
I agree. Are you pulling your hair tightly to create the ponytail/bun? Many ladies have had problems with "wet bunning". Your hair is extremely fragile when wet, so this could be causing breakage. Maybe you could try airdrying with rollers & a scarf (check sylver2's or Locks of Luv's fotkis) before you bun your hair. Bunning your hair while it's dry may ease some of the breakge. Also, try to avoid using metal clips on your hair, especially when it's wet.

Also, to be clear, are you seeing breakage or shedding? Shedded hairs will have a tiny white bulb on the end. Broken hairs will not, and they are usually short pieces.

I believe I'm experiencing shedding but that doesn't quite explain my thinning ends. Maybe it's breakage after all.

Perhaps I will try drying my hair before the bun. Any suggestions for a good leave-in for dry hair? Do you think I should try drying my hair then using an oil-based moisturizer for bunning?

Browndilocks said:
Yes - I am securing my ponytail with a holder and I'm securing the length of the ponytail with the pins. I do not use ouchless bands because the process of actually "twisting" them into my head breaks my hair. I just use the goody ponytail holders that I've been using since I was a little girl:

http://www.goody.com/Products/Collections/Girls/Girls/Large_Twin_Beads.aspx

I think the wetness and the ponytail holder are causing issues...possibly not rinsing out that conditioner is adding to it. I use NTM leave in on dry and wet hair...giovanni direct is another good one

Okay. Thanks everyone for your help! :)

I guess I need to change my regime a bit...

I think I'm going to wash/condition/DRY

Then use a leave-in... then find something to seal my ends with. Hope it works.

I agree that you should rinse the conditioner out it sounds like you are leaving it in and letting the conditioner dry. This might actually hurt the moisture level of your hair. You should try a light leave-in conditioner spray and maybe you shouldn't completely saturate your hair with it. It might be time for you to do a reconstructor treatment. (ORS, Maybe)

Also, I looked at the Goody link you posted. Those are the Ballie's from childhood. I don't like the idea of using them on relaxed or wet hair mostly because of the metal piece in the center and the harsh material of the band.

Maybe you can get some small or medium scrunchies instead (and saturate it with olive oil or coconut oil) instead.

Browndilocks said:
Okay. Thanks everyone for your help! :)

I guess I need to change my regime a bit...

I think I'm going to wash/condition/DRY

Then use a leave-in... then find something to seal my ends with. Hope it works.

Even if you airdry your hair at least half way before putting it in a bun would help too...

Mook's hair said:
I agree that you should rinse the conditioner out it sounds like you are leaving it in and letting the conditioner dry. This might actually hurt the moisture level of your hair. You should try a light leave-in conditioner spray and maybe you shouldn't completely saturate your hair with it. It might be time for you to do a reconstructor treatment. (ORS, Maybe)

Also, I looked at the Goody link you posted. Those are the Ballie's from childhood. I don't like the idea of using them on relaxed or wet hair mostly because of the metal piece in the center and the harsh material of the band.

Maybe you can get some small or medium scrunchies instead (and saturate it with olive oil or coconut oil) instead.

I agree, the metal piece on those types of ponytail holders can cause breakage.

As suggested earlier, try rinsing out the conditioner, and use Giovanni Direct leave-in. You can seal with any oil that you like. Start with a light one like jojoba. Then you can let your hair airdry. I like to put my hair in a loose ponytail (with a satin mini scrunchie, wound around 2x), and clip a magnetic roller at the end. I tie a satin scarf around my head and let dry overnight. In the morning, both my edges and ends have dried smooth (well, it's still a little damp the next morning, but you get the idea). Then I bun or put my hair in an updo.

Could the shedding be an internal issue (i.e. iron deficiency/diet)?

I would try using a leave-in on wet hair then letting it dry before putting it in a bun.

Also, don't forget that we can shed up to 100 hairs/day under "normal" circumstances so if you're not combing it for 3 or 4 days, that's a lot of shed hair waiting to come out.

Another thing someone mentioned in another thread was the type of comb you use to detangle because sometimes, certain combs don't get all of the shed hair out.

HTH

Back