Will not neutralizing your hair cause a major breakage

summerof1990

For instance, using the Isoplus Olive Oil shampoo instead of the neutralizer.

Will that cause you to lose several inches of your hair in the center?
That's where my breakage starts

One word. Yes.

The relaxer is a strong alkali, around ph 14. The purpose of the nutraliser is to restore the ph of the hair to it's normal level (i think 7), so a nutralising shampoo would normally have a lower ph than a regular shampoo (i think 4-5).

Think of it this way...the neutralizer turns the perm OFF. It isn't the shampoo, it is a special chemical IN the shampoo. The shampoo is just a convenient way of getting it into your hair so using a regular shampoo that doesn't include the chemical won't have any effect on stopping the perm's chemical process.

Think of it this way...the neutralizer turns the perm OFF. It isn't the shampoo, it is a special chemical IN the shampoo. The shampoo is just a convenient way of getting it into your hair so using a regular shampoo that doesn't include the chemical won't have any effect on stopping the perm's chemical process.

This is not necessarily true. There is NO special chemical in a neutralizing shampoo that cannot be found in a regular shampoo. There are ph adjusters that give neutralizers their acidic ph and those adjusters can be found in all types of hair products(not just neutralizing shampoos). It is the low ph of the shampoo that does the neutralizing. The surfactants(detergents) in the shampoo that remove the residue from the relaxer. You can neutralize with a neutralizing shampoo, neutralizing conditioner or a neutralizing solution such as french perm stabilizer (it has a ph of 2.5). Theoretically you could neutralizie your hair with a vinegar rinse after a relaxer as long as the ph of the solution is low enough to bring your hair back to a neutral or even a slightly acidic ph. So basically you can neutralize your hair with other products besides a neutralizing shampoo as long as the ph of the solution is low enough. But to play it safe I would always use a neutralizing shampoo, neutralizing conditioner or neutralizing solution specifically made for neutralizing the hair after a chemical service.

That is a great way to think of it!

yes because the chemical processing of the relaxer has not been chemically stopped.

thats scary i wonder why i only lost some of the middle.
its not bald. but i never noticed it came out until a week later
a lot of my hair is still intact though.

i jsut saw isoplus and thought it was the neautalizer smh.

Back