Wigs in the heat

Chameleonchick

I have a question for my wig wearers in HOT places. What kind of wigs do you wear during this time of year? I thought about buying some short ones, but will they really keep me cooler than the long haired ones?

I'm in Georgia and I still wear wigs, 18in straight hair but I can't wear it anything on my face (bangs) and I skip the wig cap.

Calling @JJamiah my favourite wig wearing sista who has it down to an art. :yep:

*and sits to wait for answer* as I'd like to know too.

Last edited:
Chameleonchick

Bajanmum :) Thanks so much LOL :giggle:

I personally find that braiding my hair underneath provides ventilation. I also like my Human Hair shorties in the summer over the synthetic in the summer. For some reason the HH allows more ventilation for ME. I could be totally just looking for a reason. BUt PersonallY I like the Synthetic Shorties since I don't have to style them like the HH. I wig it in the SUMMER. Mostly HH, and moderately the Synthetics.

This year I am mixing it up with the Crochet Braids and wigs.
I would opt out of wearing a standard wig cap. What I would wear is the NET WIG CAP and that provides ventilation.

If you decide to try it, start before it gets bloody hot so you can see your tolerance for it. :)

and TAKE PICHAS :camera:

Good thread I was wondering about this, too! *takes notes*

It hasn't been really hot in my city yet and this would be my first summer since I started wearing wigs. If it gets too hot, I might have to get braids. :lol:

I wore wigs a lot last summer and I was never uncomfortable. I use human or protein hair for my wigs and they're all mid length, i.e. 10-12 inch range. I never got into synth fiber wigs. I also use the stretchy net weave caps under wigs instead of the stocking caps so I'm not blocking off air to my scalp or trapping in sweat. I believe that's the key to staying comfortable.

I either wear short ones or do updos with longer ones. You can use the spin pins, jaw clips, scrunchies (low ponytail) on longer wigs. I may way a headband and have the hair off of my face.

I also rock short wigs. I've found some that are really thin. My favorites are Bori and Chi by Motown Tress. I also love Sensationnel HZ 015.

I usually cornrow to increase ventilation to my scalp. I either water rinse or cowash daily as well to keep cool.

GL finding a wig that works! :)

this may not be much help but im rocking a semi long wig at the moment and it is verrry uncomfortable in this texas heat especially when i first get into my car and all the heat is trapped in there :nono:
so itd be a good idea to get you a short wig for just in case.

I live in N. California so it's not super hot but we do get our days. I remember taking my fullcap wig off when I got in the car because it was just too hot that day. I can do half wigs on hot days and not want to rip it off, but I don't know about living in places that get super hot.

I agree that the halfwigs work out as well. for some reason aren't as humid/smoldering. I basically wash my hair, twist it up and slap the halfie on and I am cool as a bug!

Okay so these netted wig caps do they only come in an open top?? I am trying to find one that is like an actual cap and so far they all have a huge hole in the stop that can stretch.

Chameleonchick

I just saw this today 'lurkin' at work'. The netted one you are talmbout is a Weave & Wig Cap with the Open Hole at the Top.:nono:

You want the Full "Wig" Cap. Almost the exact Same thing. With no Hole. :yep:

Ask someone in the Store if you don't see them.

I have a question for my wig wearers in HOT places. What kind of wigs do you wear during this time of year? I thought about buying some short ones, but will they really keep me cooler than the long haired ones?

I'm currently wearing an almost waist length wig. :lol: I don't really get hot with it on, but I don't spend much time outside, either. :nono:

I've been wearing a mbl length human hair wig with no problems. When I wore the long synthetic wigs it got a little hot on my back if I was outside for an extended period so I'd pull it into a ponytail.

When I use to wear my girlfriends in the summer I chose to wear the 3/4 wigs instead of full wigs. Could not handle the heat.

Back