Wigs are a good option while growing out!

Edie

When you are in that difficult stage of transitioning and it seems like you can't do a thing for your hair, wearing a wig is a good option that protects your hair from the air and elements and also from hand in hair disease. I wear a wig 50% of the time. My hair has grown from 6 inches to 24 inches in the last year and a half. I simply plait my hair up and wrap them around my head tucking under the ends. This is a great way to protect your hair in the winter time and one of the secrets of gaining length is protecting the moisture content of the hair strand. I moisturize my hair at night, put on a plastic bonnet and then a satin bonnet. In the morning, I put on a wig cap over the plastic bonnet and then put on the wig. I do not do this on hot days though. But when I do this, I go home in the evening, remove the wig, wig cap and plastic bonnet and my hair is still as moisturized as it was when I left in the morning. Those ends need to be babied and protected if we want to gain length. I have been fortunate enough to find some good products in protecting my ends (TIGI Health Goddess/Ego Boost) too. That helps a lot.

wow... 18 inches in 1-1/2 years... is amazing. do you have an online album that depicts this growth? that is simply astounding. i'm sure many others would be interested in seeing this. personally i love headwraps. i use fabric purchased from an african shop.

i think i will try that plastic/satin bonnet combo idea. thanks!

Hi Edie, i totally agree with you, but there is so much controversy regarding wigs and how it is not good for your hair because your hair can't breath. But since i started my hair growth regime (June will be 3 years) i have worn wigs most of the time. I'm still employing hair lady's crown and glory where i wear braids for 2 months, but when i'm not wearing braids, i'm wearing my wigs. I take it off when i get home from work, and my hair does not appear to have suffered from wearing them. I have since taken braids out since February of this year, and i have been wearing my wigs. My hair has grown so much (currently i am around 26-27 inches). I have been looking for something to keep my hair moist, i will have to try using your method. One of the things i must say about wearing my wigs, is that my own hair because it is so long and thick cannot not always fit under the wig. I use to put on a satin cap, but now i'm using a wig cap and it appears to be helping it a little better. I just wanted to echo what you said and i think i remember seeing pics of your hair Edie and it is very pretty.

Thanks! I had been thinking about it recently, browsing wig sites- something I thought I would never ever EVER do! Because wigs have a stigma. Shoot, took me forever to get my first braids and I only did that when middle and upper class people/stars etc., started doing them
blush.gif
. I know, I know, I got over it, love braids now.
I guess this is the push I needed for trying the wig thing...after some research...
Is there a thread around for Wigs 101 ?
smirk.gif

that's how i grew my hair out from my halle/toni cut. although at the time i wasnt trying to grow my hair out, just trying not to ever go back to the hair dresser again.....bad haircut.....REALLY badddddd haircut
sekret.gif
look.gif
anyway i would just wrap my hair, wear a stocking cap and sport a wig. Then as it started to grow out i would cornrow it and do my stocking cap wig thing and on fridays and saturdays wear a braidout and get it recornrowed on sunday. Then just do the same thing the next week. HTH
smile.gif
-- jainygirl

One thing you have to remember when wearing a wig is protect the hairline. When I use a plastic bonnet under the wig, I apply a wig cap over that. When it's hot, I use a satin hair wrap that ties in the back and then put the wig cap over it. This helps to protect my hairline, because neither the satin hair wrap nor the plastic bonnet (I turn the elastic to the outside does not rub at my hair. They kind of just glide on it (if you know what I mean). And I always take off once I am home and massage my scalp for at least 10 minutes. The wigs are only worn about 10 hours, the rest of the time the hair a lot of time to breathe, plus I don't wear them on weekends. You have to try and see what your hair responds to best. But make sure your massage the perimeter of your hair always. That is where the edges of the wig sit the closet on your hair. In the year and a half (actually 19.5 months) that I have worn this wig my hair has stayed pretty moisturized. And as far as stigmas are concerned I wouldn't not be too worried about that. You can get to your hair a lot easier to condition and wash it properly, plus massaging it by wearing a wig instead of a wig. And what's the different, neither one are your natural hair. But I have to be honest with you I did go through a period when people at work kept coming up to me and asking when I was going to wear my own out and a few of the women said some pretty petty things to me. I just bidded my time and about 9 months later, I wore my hair out for my birthday. By that time is was bra strap. Their eyes bugged out their head. The nastiest one's mouth was actually hanging open.
blush.gif
It seems like some people cannot seem to accept someone doing things or being different from them.

Thanks again! Any other recommendations by the way? That is, human, synthetic or mixed- what do you suggest? And any online sites you'd recommend? I was looking at onthetop.com...

co-signing with Edie. I did this for 4 months (winter) and had very good results. Only I was always always worried someone would hear the plastic underneath. LOL

I have several wigs and love them I wear them when I get bored with drawsring phonytails.
The for me is to keep my hair moisturized and wearing a wig cap.
I do my co washes, air dry,braid and place wig back on in the mornings.

It doesn't matter if the wig is synthetic or human hair, though I must say the synthetics are less trouble. They don't wilt in the hot weather and bounce back after washing. I wouldn't worry about someone pulling your wig off (unless you have some enemys around). Even guys are much more forgiving about wigs these days. They like to see women with different hair styles and the wigs do that in a wink of the eye without having to fry, die and lay to the side your wonderful healthy hair. And it is health as well as length that is my concern. The wigs help me to protect my hair from the elements while giving it a moisture treatment all day. As I said, the wig comes off when I come home. My hair is left out to the air for about 4-5 hours, then I moisture it again, massage, then put my plastic bonnet on and prepare for bed.

Re: Wigs are a good option while growing out! *DELETED* *DELETED*

Where it says Post deleted by Edie. It was a duplicate message.

Re: Wigs are a good option while growing out! *DELETED* *DELETED*

I wear wigs also and I love them!!

Edie I also leave plastic on my hair while wearing my wig
except I cornrow my hair straight back, then moisturize my ends really well and place the little sandwich baggies on them and put on my fishnet wig cap. That way I'm sure my scalp will catch a breeze.

[ QUOTE ]
...I just bidded my time and about 9 months later, I wore my hair out for my birthday. By that time is was bra strap. Their eyes bugged out their head. The nastiest one's mouth was actually hanging open. It seems like some people cannot seem to accept someone doing things or being different from them.

[/ QUOTE ]

that is great Edie!
smile.gif
i am not surprised that one of them had her mouth open - that certainly seems like a whole load a hair!
shocked.gif

Who wants a wig challenge?
weird.gif
Just kidding.
laugh.gif

Anyway, this summer, I plan on doing a similar regimen, except I'll only be wearing instant weaves. Practically the same thing, essentially. But my hair will not be out much. I'm trying to get it to grow back after my humongous cut last month.
cry3.gif
I'm currently weaved up right now. This Saturday will mark four weeks that it's been in, but I'm taking it out Friday. I can't stop scratching.
nuts.gif
But I know there's some growth under there.
smile.gif

Back