Wig Wearers!

stacy

I <font color="blue"> </font> 'd like some info on your experiences wearing wigs. I'm going to take a hiatus from relaxing my hair. I hope I can last at least 18 weeks. Since I already have a very short style (a little shorter than HoneyRockette), I'd rather wear a wig to avoid that weird grow out stage in public. Anyway, where do you buy your wigs? What hair regimen do you follow when wearing your wig? Do you wear synthethic or human hair wigs? Which is best? How do you avoid hairline trauma? Please drop any other pieces of wisdom. Thanks.

I use Motown Tress or Beverly Johnson wigs. I have both synthetic and human hair wigs. I don't prefer one over the other. I buy my wigs from the little Korean lady on the corner
laugh.gif
I don't have much of a hair routine. I just keep my hair cornrowed underneath. I never have stress on my hairline.

Hey Stacy
wave.gif

I've been wearing wigs on and off for the past year, and I don't do anything special to my hair other then my normal routine, keeping it moisturized, ends tucked, and wearing hair underneath in a ponytail or braided in one or two braids. As for the wig types I wear. I wear both synthetic or human. The human ones that I wear I get made. But, I started out wearing the synthetics one from the BS. I like the human hair wigs that I have made because I can flat iron them and play w/ them as I see fit. As for hairline trauma, I just make sure I don't allow the wig to move around (meaning a snug fit is best so that the friction won't rub your edges thin). HTH

I wear wigs as well, , a nice place to purcahse some are www.onthetop.com they have good prices.
I dont know how helpful i can be, because i only wear wigs on occasion. Its like my backup. Umm usually i'll have my hair underneath in a freach braid (for flatness) and i'll keep it well oiled. The hairline issue, maybe you can purchase a hairline aid like ORS temple balm or Profectiv anti-thinning (i use this). Be sure to massage that area every night and never wear the wig when its not necessary. sorry i cant be of more help

I've been checking out this site for a lil more than a week now and I'm definitely going to get one, because they look natural and their up to date styles. They even show a few pics of Angelas Bassett in them, let me know what you think Katour wigs

Beana3-I checked out the link you listed for the wigs. A very nice site. I am into the headband wigs and they have a good selection. Also,I like the informational listing, it would seem very helpful to a 1st time wig buyer or even those who currently wear wigs.
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

Thanks a lot ladies. I'll definitely check out these sites on the weekend (I have to get out report cards by Friday).

Hey, Carrie
wave.gif

I get my wigs made by my friend. She's really good. As for how they're made. It's just like getting a "quik weave" done but, it's done on top of a stocking cap. Either on your on head or on a manniquin head. The person's on hair should be laid down (wrapped or in a low ponytail w/ ends tucked or pinned down).A "quik weave" is done by taking a bundle or more of human hair(w/ track) and glueing the hair on the cap in a circle patten until all the hair is used up.To prevent glue from getting on your hair neck strips are used on your hair while laid down, and removed afterwards. Usually you will need a bit more then a bundle to get a wig made and the extra hair will be used to close up the hole the will be left after the first bundle is used up. The crittle part about "quik weaves or wigs" are how good that hole is filled in. This is what makes it look so real, and allows you to wear it w/o it looking like a wig. I have some pics of mine and plan to post then soon once I can get a scanner or digital cam.
PM me if you need more explaining about how to make them.
HTH
grin.gif

Tip for wig wearers!!!

To Protect your hairline, visit any fabric store &amp; purchase BLACK satin or stretch satin. 1st, wrap the satin around the circumference of your head, make sure your hairline is covered properly, secure with small bobby pins if necessary. Place the wig cap on your head as you would normally do but make sure to cover all the satin. It will stay in place all day even if you tug &amp; pull at the wig. This will result in NO BREAKAGE OF THE HAIRLINE!. I discovered this method this past winter when I purchased a short pixie wig &amp; wore it for 2 weeks straight.
smile.gif

Sindeee

I have done the method honeycomb talked about and it was great. I used deep wave synthethic hair by Sensationnel. But she's right the only problem was covering up the hole. I couldn't fix it so I turned it into a headband wig so there was no hole to cover. I plan on trying again come winter.

I just ordered a Katour wig (Novia). I can't wait to check it out
grin.gif
. I will try the trick with the stretchy satin to protect my hairline. If these wigs look as good on me as they do on the website (and Angela Basset), I may wear them until I reach shoulder length hair.

Stacy that is great, I'm gonna check out the site to see which style that is, but please tell me when you get it, I'm dying to find out how you like it. I want to order a couple myself, but I'm chicken, so a good review by you would really put me over.
smile.gif

Kis4tj,

Those wigs are really nice. If I ever decide to wear one again, I think I'll purhcase this one. I love it!
smile.gif

Sindeee

ivy.jpg

I got a Sensationnel Instant Weave today for $20!!!!!!!! And I tried it on my mother, and it is FAB-U-LOUS! I recommend this one for everybody! It looks and feels so natural! *running around like a mental person*

image_name.gif

Did you get that style? It looks great! I was thinking of getting one, but opted fpr a whole head wig. Enjoy it!

Okay, here is my critique of my Katourline Wig. On April 9th, I placed an online order for the Novia wig (regular 1B, no customizations). It was $82.50 total ($7.50 for standard s&amp;h). I just got it today. The wig itself looks beautiful. It does not look 100% like the picture. When I shook it out, tiny hairs came out like it was freshly cut, so the technician may have cut it a little differently from the pic. I feel that I could have a little more sideburns.The hair is beautiful and feels healthy. The wig is full, and the style is great. Based on this wig, Katourline does make quality wigs.

My beef is the delivery time. It took entirely too long, about 3 weeks (or 17 business days). The website makes you think you'll get your wig a lot faster.

The website says:

"Shipping

MERCHANDISE WILL ONLY BE SENT TO BILLING ADDRESS. We understand the value of discretion. Our products are shipped in either an U.S. Postal Priority mailbox or a plain cardboard box. There is no mention of wigs anywhere on the package we use "Katour Line Company" as the return address. Most of our customers receive their order within 7-14 BUSINESS DAYS (Handling fee $7.50 US ORDERS ONLY). Please allow an additional 7 to 10 days for oversees Airmail shipping. Katour Line Designer Wig Collection offers express shipping via FedEx and USPS ($20.00 Handling fee US ORDERS ONLY). Over night shipping does not apply to oversees International Airmail, APOís, or Canada. If your order is not in stock, you will be notified via e-mail or phone to be given a new delivery date. Please allow an extra 3-5 days for customized wig(s). Please be sure to specify how you would like to receive your merchandise when you place your order. All orders will be processed 24 hours after the order has been received. Express orders must be placed by 12:00 p.m. (Eastern Time.) After 12:00p.m. your order will fall on the next business day. Express orders are shipped out 24 hours after order has been received (processing time). In the event that your express order is placed on a holiday or weekend, your order will be processed on the next business day. There are no express orders for custom-made, or specialty colored wigs. COD's are not accepted.
NOTE: STANDARD SHIPPING IS NOT GUARANTEED TO BE SHIPPED ON A CERTAIN DATE."

"All orders will be processed twenty-four hours after the order has been received. "

The website strongly implies that your order will be processed the next day and you will have it within 1 to 2 weeks. When I emailed them, they said that they ship it within 1-2 weeks. I can't have my wig within 1 to 2 weeks if you haven't shipped it before then.

Anyway, if I buy another one, I won't expect it before a month is up.

Back