Wig Wearers, how do you prevent breakage?

HairHustla

I was just wondering how you are able to prevent damage to your hair if you wear a wig or half wig? I try to gently remove the wig but notice that a few strands are sacrificied each day and I am disturbed about that. Also, the combs in the front and back...well my hair seems not to mind but I am wondering about the long term effects of it. Anyone have any suggestions?

First of all, I remove the combs from the front and back and use bobbi pins to lock my wig in place.

I always make sure I wear a stocking cap and before I put it on I apply mango butter or carrot oil cream around the hairline.

I also make sure I french braid my hair underneath and spray S-curl spray to keep my braids moisturized.

Hope this helps

I wrap my hair and put a small silk scarf around it, then just slide the wig over that. I have a small head so it never looks bulky.:yep:

I don't wear them everyday :nono: Maybe once or twice a week. I also moisturize and french braid underneath and cover with a stocking cap.

I stopped wearing one because of this. I was doing it as a hide-your hair sort of thing and it did they did not work for me.:ohwell:

I don't wear stocking caps directly on my hair. I only wear the thin satin wave cap that you tie around your head. I pull it back from the front edge a little, put on the half wig and use the wig strings to tighten it (no combs). To cover the front of the wig, I wear a thin half circle headband that matches the color of the wig (black or tortoise).

In the past I would leave some of my hair out but it slowly thins out the front hair area to the point where you may not be able to adequately hide the front of the wig. I have worn half wigs for at least 6 years.

Last edited:
I always moisturize and wrap my hair then put a wig cap over it. that keeps you from losing strands and from having your hair get rubbed against the inside of the wig. if you don't have a wig cap you can wash it and wrap it with wrap lotion, wait for your hair to dry completely then put your wig on over your wrapped hair.

I have worn a wig every day for the last seven months. I have not had any breakage. I always wear a wig stocking cap and i an cautious about how i take it off. i have edges.

I don't wear a full wig but wear a fall. I don't wear a wig cap underneath. I just braid/flat twist my hair underneath. I was having breakage when I braided my hair across the front to give the combs something to grab onto. Now that I braid all the way back, I haven't had problems. My hairline is looking great! I have a very small section that I leave out of the cornrows so I can cover the wig with my hair if I choose (mostly I wear a headband with no hair exposed). I make sure to moisturize that section of hair daily.

For almost 10 months, I've been wearing a 1/2 wig everyday and I do not wear any scarves or caps underneath and I never remove the combs.

I do make sure that my hair is moisturized and sealed twice a day religiously, esp at my edges and crown. I used to wear my bang out but I now tuck the ends in to protect them. I am convinced that moisture is the key to preventing hair thinning and breakage when wearing a wig :grin:!

I simply cornrow my hair in about 4 to 6 braids and I moisturize everyday with Mango Butter and Jasmine hair oil. Its working pretty well. I dont wear the wigs with the combs but when I used to cut the combs off of the wig and sewed my wig on ( as I have always done).

Back