Wig installation FAIL

LegsLegsLegs

Y’all.. I tried installing my own lace front wig for the 2nd time & it was a disaster again I spent lots of time & money this 2nd time around to make the installation process easier but ‍♀️♀️☹️☹️. I was SO CONFIDENT this time around too. I have watched dozens of detailed videos & I just can’t get it right.

I spent days just prepping my wig: bleaching knots, tinting the lace with Rit, lace got too dark so had to use Rit Color Remover, using different products to get the lace to blend, plucking the hairline, etc. my main issue came when I was trying to glue my wig down. I used three layers of glue and wig only stuck a little. I proceeded to cut the lace with the razor and girl smh.

It was just a mess! My bathroom is a mess too!

II’ve came to the conclusion that installing a wig is an art. If y’all are out here installing your own lace wigs, big ups to you sis because for the life of me, I just cannot.

Am I the only one that can’t get it right?

I do think that gluing a wig is an art...that I will never attempt lol.

Have you seen this lady on Twitter and how she does it? Seems like she does something the YouTubers do not.

Warning: A LOT of cursing but quite entertaining to watch

LOL very entertaining indeed. She pulled the wig cap all the way down and she used a lot of glue. I’m so afraid to try installing again lol

Hi @LegsLegsLegs. I'm good at applying wigs on myself and friends. Don't be afraid. What is your process when it comes to application? Does your wig fit you well without glue? What type of glue are you using? Do you use a skin prep before you apply the glue?

Hi @LegsLegsLegs. I'm good at applying wigs on myself and friends. Don't be afraid. What is your process when it comes to application? Does your wig fit you well without glue? What type of glue are you using? Do you use a skin prep before you apply the glue?
Hi.. yes wig fits.. I clean my forehead off with alcohol and then use a skin protectant... I apply a decent amount of Bold Hold Active.. 3 layers.. letting it dry clear before applying another layer

I’ve been looking into having a stylist install for me but the lady nearby is only $95 but her installs don’t look that good. The good ones are $275 and up. And plus, who knows if a stylist would even wanna deal with me because my two things are that:
1. I need to have a silk scarf (preferable my silk du rag) over my head before putting on a wig cap because my hair dries out with just a wig cap
2. I do not want them braiding my hair. My hair is already cornrowed nicely and it’s moisturized.
*sigh* maybe this whole lace wig thing just isn’t for me even though I want to wear one so badly.

Snap! I also like to use silk under my wig as opposed to a wig cap and have used the same glue. In addition, I use a 5x zoom mirror and metal rattail for my application. You can't let that bold hold dry for too long. Just enough to be tacky (tiny test spot with the tip of the rattail). As soon as the front hairline is down, I tie with a silk band or elastic for extra melt and leave for at least 20mins.

It sounds like you you're doing everything right. I do know if you are hot with that glue when trying to apply, it might be more difficult to get good adhesion but aside from that I don't know what to say. If the wig isn't even staying down, maybe its a different glue you need...if you even want to bother again with something else.

Ok y’all... I’m going to try installing again. I can’t get over these stylists’ prices they charge just to install a wig!!! And like I said, they probably don’t wanna deal with my healthy hair journey a$$ anyways lol, wearing silk under my wig cap & stuff; they probably won’t wanna deal with all that. Y’all brought up some good points on stuff I might’ve messed up on and I watched Arrogant Tae’s video again (EVERY SECOND OF IT THIS TIME) and I see I’d skipped over some very important points. Bold Hold Active either doesn’t work for me or I used it incorrectly; either way I’m going to try a different glue. I’m surprised Tae was not letting that glue dry clear in between layers. I am going to keep trying to get this wig installed until I get it right. Tae said we gotta keep practicing LOL

Back