Wig for protective styling FIASCO!

BlkMane

Okay, bought a synthetic hair full wig (lace front). Straight, layered style. Hair is really nice and soft despite being synthetic. It is heat-resistant, so I can curl it.

The style is pretty (think ol' school Charlie's Angels meets Kim K. but APL), and I would probably be able to work with it...IF THE COLOR WASN'T SO DARN DARK!!!!!

I wanted a medium brown, but they only had a #2 dark brown. In the store, I looked at the #2 shade in the box and pulled out a lock of hair and held it up to my face while looking in the mirror. It looked dark brown. Didn't look black.

Got home and now it seems to have changed color. :perplexed That wig is sooooo dark. I can't see how it's not black. Box says #2, but it is so dark!

It looks black to me. Gives me that 'wiggy' look because of the shade. (And this is coming from someone with naturally pretty-close-to-black hair.) Guess I will have to keep it for Halloween. I'm bummed.

My first straight hair full wig purchase and it is no bueno.

Just wanted to vent. :cry:

Aww that's a shame. My 1st wig was horrible!!! I looked like Chaka Kahn on a very bad day. My next one was ghetto-fab. I finally had to start with half wigs and gradually get to a full wig once I learned more about wigs. I don't like cheaper lace fronts and I'm savong up for a human lace front wig.
I don't know what kind of style you like, but look into Tammy by Outre. It's a half wig and a lot of people thought it was my real hair. BTW: The model on the picture doesn't do the wig justice.

Aww i bet it doesnt look that bad, you should take a pic and post it here...i would love to see it. I absolutely love wigs..i definetly love making my own.

Last edited:
If it's too shiny OP, sprinkle baby powder on it … it will better suit your natural hair color. That's what I do when I use wigs to PS. HTH! ;)

Aww that's a shame. My 1st wig was horrible!!! I looked like Chaka Kahn on a very bad day. My next one was ghetto-fab. I finally had to start with half wigs and gradually get to a full wig once I learned more about wigs. I don't like cheaper lace fronts and I'm savong up for a human lace front wig.
I don't know what kind of style you like, but look into Tammy by Outre. It's a half wig and a lot of people thought it was my real hair. BTW: The model on the picture doesn't do the wig justice.

Thanks for the recommendation, nelcoy. I saw Tammy on YouTube and it's nice, but it's looong. I'm trying to keep things on the shorter end right now because I don't want everyone looking at me crazy if they see me with long hair one day and short hair the next. :lol: But Tammy is definitely one I would like to have in my stash when my hair is closer to that length. Would be great for a bad hair day.

I actually had an Outre half wig called Renee. The Outre cap was way too big for my head. I wore it a couple of times, then I cut the wig up into pieces I could wear as a half wig piece and as a ponytail extender. (My hair is very short in the back.)

If it's too shiny OP, sprinkle baby powder on it … it will better suit your natural hair color. That's what I do when I use wigs to PS. HTH! ;)

Thanks for the tip. I know of the baby powder trick, but I'm telling you the wig is just TOO DARK for me. It may look better with the powder, but I would rather have it in a lighter color. I might sell the wig so I don't want to put powder on it.

nelcoy said:

yep Tammy is my fave half wig & it lasts long for a half wig. Its very pretty.

Back