Wig Challenge

Funny you should bring this up. I starting wearing a wig this week. I'm having some medical problems and I have to have treatments and the medicine is going to make me ill. I won't have as much time to do hair so I'm washing once a week, conditioning, doing my own sloppy braids and throwing on a wig.

What's even more funny, nobody at work could tell the difference.

I am in! I am about to get cornrows. I am gonna wear a silk scarf on top of the brades and a wig cap to secure it. I will be using instant weaves.

does anyone have any websites with pictures of nice wigs? Im thinking about joining yall but the only half wig I have and like seemd like it broke off some of my hair cos it has a comb

Ms Portugal i love your wig, it looks lovely. I'm still on this challenge. I bought a satin bonnet, cut the frill off, and wear that underneath it. My big head couldn't take wig cap anymore. I was having headaches like you wouldn't believe.

msportugal said:
I added a pic of my wig to my album its on the second page.

i'm not sure maybe just sew a silk scarf to the inside and trim

Your wig looks really good on you. Where did you find this one, is it human hair?

I wear wigs when I need a texturizer retouch - I keep my hair cornrowed, and apply Surge and oil blends to my scalp - I keep my hair cornrowed for two weeks at a time before I wash and condition.

I am in, I don't like the wig that I bought,it looks too wigish, so now I just wear my hair in cornrows with a scarf. My plan is to do this until summer, and then maybe switch up and get braids. I wash my hair once a week, use the baggie methods for my ends, and apply curl activator over the corn rows.

Re: Wig Challenge, is this a protective style

I am in. I want to try the wig challenge out for 3 months to see any noticeable changes in my length.
I want to know if this is a protective style. I been in a heated debate with one of my friends who is a member of LHCF and she says that wearing a wig is not a protective style.

I protect my hair when I wear a wig.
1st I wrap my hair with shea butter and olive oil.
2nd I place a peice of satin material on my head to protect it from the wig cap.
3rd I put the wig on.

I see that some ladies wear braid when wearing a wig. What is a better method wearing braids or wrapping the hair.

Re: Wig Challenge, is this a protective style

I would say braiding just because there is less manipulation you dont have to braid each time but you have to wrap each time or at least more often but do what works for you

Thanks ladies for the compliments on my wig it is Zury brand I believe the name is Diva x-long. This wig is 4yrs old human and has a plastic scalp so that i can move the part. I have some spots where the scalp is looking a bit thin so if you get one i advise being extra careful when handling that section. but for 4+ yrs old i think it looks great and it is super low maint. I wash or rinse detangle 5-10min if that and add mousse/oilsheen bigg hair like the pic or gel/oilsheen very tame defined waves/curls

Last edited:
How do you care for your wigs:

1 Human Hair (Straight, Curly or wavy)?

2 Synthetic hair

I have one of each and don't know what the heck I am supposed to do. I have a human hair one that is layered and straight. I have a synthetic one that has a flip.

candycane

Candycane
human hair i wash and mousse or gel after shampooing and go
I detangle human hair at the nape 1st it tends to bunch here
always detangle from tip to roots the roots to tip
i have a special brush that i got from Sallys the individual
rows are seperated i think it is a weave brush it is orange i will
post a pic in my album but it gives so that you dont rip the hair out
i really like it

synthetic i rarely buy i hate how the ends frizz

My update:
got new cornrows had to undo a few but it was pretty good
waiting on a new wig from ebay hopefully i will get the right color 2nd time around
otherwise it will be for sale on the exchange board it is too black 4 me
I have had lots of growth since i got them in and now i'm gonna concentrate on my ends

how is everyone else?

Hey Ms. Portugal! I just saw your wig album and you look fierce girl!! I've been wearing wigs for about 2 months now and my hair is doing sooo much better. I work in downtown Los Angeles and at least once a week, I'm in the garment district trying on wholesale priced wigs!!! It is fun, fun, fun! Where did you get the curly/wavy wig from in your album? Have you ever been to Showgirl Wigs in Vegas? Pricey but very pretty wigs!

My wig regimen--saturate scalp and hair with tea tree oil, moisturize ends with parnevu tea tree cream, apply 5% rogaine on scalp, put on wig cap and then BAM--on goes the wig!!!!!!!!!

bumping for updates anyone still doing this

vicky i have been to showgirls that is where i saw my 1st up close and personal lace wig i got the curly wig from the beauty supply warehouse here in vegas next time i go i will find out the brand for you thats the blonde/black right?

i am still on this challenge luv luv luv my new wig it is so silky i still surge about 2-3xs
per week but i was slacking on that and the curl activator my hair was feeling really
dry so lately i have been doing con washes 2xs per week with suave milk/honey
my ends are trying to loc so i think i am going to unbraid the ends only and add extensions to that part just so i can unbraid them without having to deloc my hair
at the end of feb when i check for length and trim any split ends I have about .5 in of
newgrowth and hopefully will have a 1 inch month in feb when i hit the gym full force
& get to sweating plus i will be in the sauna 3xs per wk

anyone still wiggin it?, what were your results? i'm thinking doing this method after taking out my weave in March, as i'm trying to reach my waistlength goal no later the November this year.

Back