Why would stretching between relaxer cause breakage?

sareca

I've heard so many of us say they can't stretch relaxers because it causes breakage. I've never understood why applying relaxer to new growth would change (i.e., stop breakage) on the already relaxer hair. Is it just the conditioners that come w/ the relaxer that stop the breakage. I don't get it. Personally, I've stretched as far as 12 weeks w/o breakage.

Anybody have any thoughts? :confused:

I don't know exactly y, but hair does have a tendency to start to break when it transitions (or is being stretched)....Again, I don't know y it does that.....

i believe it is because of the tension that is caused from dealing with two different textures of hair(the newgrowth and the relaxed) and trying to make hair more manageable. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

The line of demarcation is most often the trouble zone that causes breakage. If the two different textures are not properly moisturized and strengthened, they will not get along, and the relaxed end is typically the first part to go.

Sareca, I wondered the same thing for a long time, but after I stretched for 6 months and saw how much work it takes to keep it moisturized and balanced, I understood why some folks can't stretch past 8 weeks or so.

I think product usage, maintenance, and the type of relaxer all play a role in the ability to stretch as well.

HTH

{DI}

Yep, that's the problem for me -- what DI called the demarcation line.
Plus, the tussling and forging through the new growth on a daily basis puts too much stress on my hair. And since I don't like using a lot of products, I can't get the new growth to lay down.

Plus, when I go longer than 7 weeks, I end up with uneven relaxers when I do relax.

So, with all of this it's just not worth it for me to stetch and it results in hair abuse which leads to breakage.

The lack of resistance when I comb my relaxed hair never beyond 6-7 weeks keeps my hair from being strained and I experience very little breakage. So, I'll never stretch.

It's breaking at the demarcation line? I thought folks were saying it was breaking off at the ends of the hair. Yeah, it would worry me if my hair broke off 1.5 inches (12 week stretch) from my scalp. Yikes!

sareca said:
It's breaking at the demarcation line? I thought folks were saying it was breaking off at the ends of the hair. Yeah, it would worry me if my hair broke off 1.5 inches (12 week stretch) from my scalp. Yikes!

Well if the breakage is anywhere except the demarcation line, then the relaxer is not going to solve the problem.

devin said:
i believe it is because of the tension that is caused from dealing with two different textures of hair(the newgrowth and the relaxed) and trying to make hair more manageable. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

100% RIGHT!

Divine Inspiration said:
The line of demarcation is most often the trouble zone that causes breakage. If the two different textures are not properly moisturized and strengthened, they will not get along, and the relaxed end is typically the first part to go.
Synthia said:
Yep, that's the problem for me -- what DI called the demarcation line.
Plus, the tussling and forging through the new growth on a daily basis puts too much stress on my hair.
This is what happens with me when I stretch. I went months one time and had too much breakage along the way. I used to go 7 or 8, but lately I've been going 10 weeks. I'm trying to make it to 12 weeks this time.

I am in my 15th week of stretching. After my co-wash this weekend, I noticed that I had quite a few shorter hairs in my head. Of course I wanted to believe that new hair was growing in my head :lol:, but I realized that my hair was breaking...and it was at the demarcation line. :eek: :eek: :eek:

I was trying to stretch until April, but now that I've seen this breakage, I think I will be relaxing in the next 2 weeks.

I just relaxed my hair on Saturday because there was too much breakage at the demarcation line. Now I have no breakage. I really don't understand how ladies are able to go months (3+) without their relaxed hair breaking from the natural. It's just all about how as black women we have different kinds of hair. My hair is just fairly fragile

devin said:

Your correct. I was told this by several beauticians as well. I believe many of us do not handle the hair properly when there are two different textures. When transitioning I would never comb my hair while dry and I mean never. Before transitioning I would only perm my hair once a year anyway due to fear of overlapping perms. So I have learned to deal with my hair with two different textures for years. This also meant that I had to wear my hair in buns all the time as well.

Divine Inspiration said:
Well if the breakage is anywhere except the demarcation line, then the relaxer is not going to solve the problem.

That was my thought. If it was breaking at the ends of the hair and it stopped after the relaxer it had to be the conditioners. Back in the day (before I discovered Nexxus, Kenra and Keracare) I would buy hair dyes when I had no intention of dying my hair. I just wanted the conditioners. I thought this was a similar situation.

Occassionally, I have suspicous looking hairs in the comb. They are long, but have no head (the white bulb that means your hair died of natural causes). I probably do have some breakage at the DL, but it's not often.

And yes, I inspect almost every hair that comes out of my head. :wacky:

shortness said:
I just relaxed my hair on Saturday because there was too much breakage at the demarcation line. Now I have no breakage. I really don't understand how ladies are able to go months (3+) without their relaxed hair breaking from the natural. It's just all about how as black women we have different kinds of hair. My hair is just fairly fragile

I'm texturized and my natural hair really isn't that different from the relaxed hair. Maybe that's why I can stretch w/o noticing any significant hair loss. I wonder how many stretchers are texturized.

shortness said:

We do this by maintaining a balance of protein & moisture and not placing too much stress on the line of demarcation.

I do light protein every other week to keep my hair strong and strengthen the line of demarcation. Once I get 8+ weeks post realxer, I do mid-week CO washes to step up the moisture and keep the new growth manageable.

I used to believe that I was one of the women who couldn't stretch past 6 weeks, but the first time I tried it, I went to 13 weeks, and didn't have breakage or shedding. The stylist who applied my relaxer even commented on how well my hair was doing and that stretching relaxers was a good idea for me.

And after seeing Sylver2 do a 6 month stretch and then doing my own, I'm convinced that most women could stretch if they wanted to...theyjust have to understand the chemistry of the products they're using and the methods they use to keep breakage and shedding at bay.

I absolutely agree DI which is why when I stretched I really listened to my hair.

I don't think that everyone would be able to stretch, I know I didn't think i would be able to stretch, but I did a whole lot of paying attention to my hair at that time (my poor boyfriend :lol: )

I was amazed by how little breakage I had, though I did have some (which may be unavoidable to some degree) These days I do treat my hair very different since I learned exactly HOW my hair likes to be handled.

-A

Divine Inspiration said:
We do this by maintaining a balance of protein & moisture and not placing too much stress on the line of demarcation.

I do light protein every other week to keep my hair strong and strengthen the line of demarcation. Once I get 8+ weeks post realxer, I do mid-week CO washes to step up the moisture and keep the new growth manageable.

I used to believe that I was one of the women who couldn't stretch past 6 weeks, but the first time I tried it, I went to 13 weeks, and didn't have breakage or shedding. The stylist who applied my relaxer even commented on how well my hair was doing and that stretching relaxers was a good idea for me.

And after seeing Sylver2 do a 6 month stretch and then doing my own, I'm convinced that most women could stretch if they wanted to...theyjust have to understand the chemistry of the products they're using and the methods they use to keep breakage and shedding at bay.

I agree with your whole post. I'm trying to convince my friend to stretch past 5 weeks, but she doesn't think she can. The first time I strecthed, I made it to 11 weeks. I had some breakage, but that was because I didn't know what products to use. Now that I've found what works for me, I'm at 10 weeks with not a broken hair in sight, and planning to go to 12. Also, not combing my new growth probably helps.

It's about finding what will work. I don't know if I could stretch 6 months right now, but I'm sure if I figured out the right regimen for me, I could.

lauren450 said:
I agree with your whole post. I'm trying to convince my friend to stretch past 5 weeks, but she doesn't think she can. The first time I strecthed, I made it to 11 weeks. I had some breakage, but that was because I didn't know what products to use. Now that I've found what works for me, I'm at 10 weeks with not a broken hair in sight, and planning to go to 12. Also, not combing my new growth probably helps.

It's about finding what will work. I don't know if I could stretch 6 months right now, but I'm sure if I figured out the right regimen for me, I could.

Dang Lauren, you've made some serious progress. :eek: You're hair looks fantasic! :thumbsup:

*ElleB said:
I don't know exactly y, but hair does have a tendency to start to break when it transitions (or is being stretched)....Again, I don't know y it does that.....

I don't understand the concept either because, truth be told, ever since I found LHCF and started STRETCHING my touchups, I haven't received ANY breaking off at the line of demarcation. It's like the minute I stopped believing it would happen, it stopped happening.

Back