Why Would Someone Say This To Me?

luthiengirlie

God doesn't always have a spouse for someone. Take my sister, for example. She never married. Never really dated and it never bothered her that she didn't have a husband or boyfriend. She had God, and that was more important than having a husband as far as she was concerned

That was their way of trying to alleviate the pressure for you to find "the one" Were you in church or discussing this with a church member? There tends to be more single women who attend church than single men....who knows?

I think they were trying to 'help' by sending you in the direction of relying on god for your happiness and satisfaction, not in a spouse.

Not saying you wont ever find a spouse or that you shld be fine without one... Keep focus on whats right for you.

Everyone who speaks about God or Jesus is not being led by the holy spirit and many won't have the gift of discernment. When one of the two is off that is the outcome. Most examples in a church setting that don't match the word and are only human experience is usually a dead giveaway.

I think ppl mean well but pausing for wisdom when giving godly advice is necessary for it to be well received.

i agree with that.. but it's like... i am trying to speak one thing to life.. and she's just ugh.. maybe i am being too sensitive
no I totally get what you mean. a lot of times people think they are helping when they are not.

its like if someone is depressed and you say happiness is what you make it. it may be true and well meaning but its just not the right thing to say.

i agree with that.. but it's like... i am trying to speak one thing to life.. and she's just ugh.. maybe i am being too sensitive
You are being sensitive and that's ok. There are things in life that you are allowed to be sensitive about and this is one of them.

I think the person meant well but they got it completely wrong.

I don't know what G-d or the universe has in store for you. Just keep doing what you can to meet eligible men and work from there.

I don't think you're being too sensitive. I know your frustration and it can be difficult to articulate. Like another poster said, not every word is from the Lord and not everyone has the gift of discernment. Keep believing God for your spouse regardless of what others may say. When I was waiting for my spouse everything imaginable was thrown my way. A friend told me that perhaps I wasn't hearing from God or maybe I misunderstood God. Another friend wanted me to think about if it was God's permissive will or perfect will for me to be married. You'll have to learn to drown out background noise and be confident in what God has for you.

You are not being too sensitive. While I don't think the person meant any ill will towards you, I think she should have kept that to herself. You are trusting God for something in your life and death and life are in the power of the tongue! I have rebuked plenty of statements made to me that I didn't want spoken over my life.

Continue to believe that it will happen for you and don't waste any energy on her statement!

I don't think you're being too sensitive. I know your frustration and it can be difficult to articulate. Like another poster said, not every word is from the Lord and not everyone has the gift of discernment. Keep believing God for your spouse regardless of what others may say. When I was waiting for my spouse everything imaginable was thrown my way. A friend told me that perhaps I wasn't hearing from God or maybe I misunderstood God. Another friend wanted me to think about if it was God's permissive will or perfect will for me to be married. You'll have to learn to drown out background noise and be confident in what God has for you.
thank you

You are not being too sensitive. While I don't think the person meant any ill will towards you, I think she should have kept that to herself. You are trusting God for something in your life and death and life are in the power of the tongue! I have rebuked plenty of statements made to me that I didn't want spoken over my life.

Continue to believe that it will happen for you and don't waste any energy on her statement!

rebuking is necessary

OP, someone at church told my sister almost the exact statement. She was an older lady, unmarried herself. My sister is at least 20 years younger than her and I believe she was just a bitter woman who had given up on her own chance at love. But whatever her issue, she was wrong - my sister did get married to a wonderful man and is very happy.

That just sounds crazy. From a general view do they think that God wants people to be single for life? Yes people do dedicate their life solely to Christ, but they generally become Monks and Nuns. It's funny how religion can easily be flipped to cater to a situation.

I agree that she was just trying to tell you to focus on God and not on your singleness. I also agree that we shouldn't allow everyone to speak into our lives or give too much thought to ppl's opinions. When that happens we get into ppl bondage and that is never a good thing.

I don't believe the intention was to come off petty, but ppl also tend to oversimplify situations they are not in. For me, that is the beautiful thing about being Christian - that we serve a God that knows the whole story and communicates with us directly. We have relationship. If her words were something the Lord wanted you to know, I believe it would have confirmed what He has already told you or resonated with your spirit. Since it did not, keep praying for wisdom, trusting God, & staying on your path.

Everyone who speaks about God or Jesus is not being led by the holy spirit and many won't have the gift of discernment. When one of the two is off that is the outcome. Most examples in a church setting that don't match the word and are only human experience is usually a dead giveaway.

ITA.

Back