Why would a hair relaxer be named after Africa?

LovelyNaps26

I've thought about this even when I was relaxed in college. I find the name/descriptions of some relaxers interesting. I definitely recognize that advertising for other products has overblown claims or is inappropriately named but I'm asking about the names of these particular hair products.

DISCLAIMER: this is NOT a thread about the mental, emotional, psychological health of women who get relaxers v. those who don't. i'm talking about the thought process that goes into naming a particular product, not using the product. So, please don't start no mess. :lol:

Exhibit A.
african_pride_relaxer.jpg

Can someone explain why of all name "African Pride" would be the name chosen for this product? I guess if there was African shea butter or some other product from Africa I could kind of get it. What about that name would make you as a consumer attracted to the product? My mom always told me to get the cheapest relaxer at Walgreens so being "attracted" to the product wasn't an option. :look:

Exhibit B.

07474336530_450x450_a.jpg

Description:
With Nubian silk, leaves the hair feeling smoother, softer and better conditioned, strengthens and adds luster to hair
The shampoo is designed to completely neutralize and remove all traces of the relaxer, formulated to gently cleanse and condition hair.
Free samples inside
Contents: Two applications, or four retouches
Conditions as it straightens the hair

Ummm...what is nubian silk? :spinning:

Basically, why do you think references to Africa are attached to relaxer systems?

My two cents: Basically, I *think* that marketers want to convey the message that the decision to chemically straighten your hair has no bearing on your pride in your ancestry. I understand that I guess but the name seems off, in terms of accurately describing the product.

I think Dark and Lovely is the most 'well named' hair relaxer. Most women of color are born with dark hair and of course we all want our hair to be lovely. :)

Any kind of marketing that has to do with Africa or being "Nubian" are that way in order to be associated with black people. Also, in the case of African Pride at least, they have an entire line and they often used herbs and "natural" type ingredients. But of course, what black hair care line would be complete without a relaxer?

i think its because marketing thinks black people will buy anything with a map of africa or anything african on it because we will think its "specially" made for us and will work better than the other prods in the ethnic aisle

I don't use either product ... might have bought a bottle of Shaniqua summin or other one time many years ago, never used it and threw it out eventually during a move, but ... what - African people can't experiment with hair texture too? Relaxer politics aside as the world's first people, Africans are the ones who invented experimenting with styles and textures.

Sheenique???

I've never heard of this!

I've never thought about the names of relaxers but I do have this thing about putting the word "miracle" on a hair product.

I've thought about this even when I was relaxed in college. I find the name/descriptions of some relaxers interesting. I definitely recognize that advertising for other products has overblown claims or is inappropriately named but I'm asking about the names of these particular hair products.

DISCLAIMER: this is NOT a thread about the mental, emotional, psychological health of women who get relaxers v. those who don't. i'm talking about the thought process that goes into naming a particular product, not using the product. So, please don't start no mess. :lol:

Exhibit A.
african_pride_relaxer.jpg

Can someone explain why of all name "African Pride" would be the name chosen for this product? I guess if there was African shea butter or some other product from Africa I could kind of get it. What about that name would make you as a consumer attracted to the product? My mom always told me to get the cheapest relaxer at Walgreens so being "attracted" to the product wasn't an option. :look:

Exhibit B.

07474336530_450x450_a.jpg

Description:
With Nubian silk, leaves the hair feeling smoother, softer and better conditioned, strengthens and adds luster to hair
The shampoo is designed to completely neutralize and remove all traces of the relaxer, formulated to gently cleanse and condition hair.
Free samples inside
Contents: Two applications, or four retouches
Conditions as it straightens the hair

Ummm...what is nubian silk? :spinning:

Well to answer your question, Nubian Silk is a specially formulated complex, designed to smooth even the kinkiest, coiliest, nappiditiest hair. It gives it shine & swang, making your hair very similar to that Indian Remy hair all the girls wish they had. It makes the hair stronger & promotes faster growing hair! :grin:

No but for real, I always think it's funny when products have a "special" formulation that is supposed to do something great for your hair, when it's just a bunch of crap. Some poor girl who knows nothing about is going to be standing in the aisle of her drugstore with 2 boxes of relaxers in her hand. She's going to choose the one with "Nubian Silk" because it will work better... right?

i think its because marketing thinks black people will buy anything with a map of africa or anything african on it because we will think its "specially" made for us and will work better than the other prods in the ethnic aisle

Yep. But really and truly they'd do better with something more "exotical" than Africa. Let them name a relaxer "Braziliano Hair relaxer" and that ish will fly off the shelves. Lol

Yep. But really and truly they'd do better with something more "exotical" than Africa. Let them name a relaxer "Braziliano Hair relaxer" and that ish will fly off the shelves. Lol

why do you think the BKT is so popular? :lol:

Oh it's just marketing. LISTEN to this! In Africa (where I grew up) anything American or European relating to hair was considered to be "better" and for high class. I'm NOT speaking for all Africans or anyone else who grew up there. It was just my experience in my East African community. For example, poor people cannot afford relaxers, so natural hair for some people (NOT ALL, but some) was a sign of being financially successful. Things like Afros, braids, cornrows etc those are more affordable so no biggie, but chemically altered hair with American brands (Revlon, Mizani, Optimum) and you're the stuff. We followed hair trends for people we saw in movies because that's what was hip. I remember when in the 90's in music videos people had short bobs with the hair shaved at the back. I was only a teenager, and one of my school mates had a "cool mom" who let her get that hair style and we would all stare at her in awe.

And it wasn't just for hair styles. Clothes were also a huge thing concerning western influence. And music. And movies.

Probably the same reason there's a line called Hawaiian Silky. It's sounds exotic. I think it can also make people think (true or not) that they're black-owned companies.

Back