WHY WON'T I PASS APL?!

twinkletoes17

*sigh*

A little frustrated as you can tell. I've had it up to HERE with my hair... I think it hates me honestly.

Ever since I was younger my hair has been APL or near APL but never past it. Even when my mom chopped off 3-6 inches (she calls them trims), my hair would grow back, healthy, but stop at APL. Once my hair reaches APL, the breakage begins.

Like last week I had a dream I was MBL or TBL. It was the best dream I've had in ages that's for sure. My hair was thick, long, flowy, shiny... I didn't want to wake up lol. It's not even like MBL is my goal. I'm only shooting for BSL. When I learn how to handle that, then we'll see. But for the time being, APL is whooping my behind left and right.

So far, all I can think of is doing protein treatments and protective styling (probably buns).

I'm not one to believe in terminal length. I know I can get past it. So any suggestions?

Btw I'm a 4a-z with a 3c crown. I have relaxed ends, underprocessed hair and then my roots are natural. I haven't relaxed since the last week of October. Come to think of it, that could be my problem... I refuse to relax my hair while it's breaking like this though. Once I get it back on track I'll consider.

I use Ayurveda pastes 1-2 times a week and cowash as well. I haven't shampooed my hair in a while. When using my ayurveda I DC with Kenra MC or Emergencia, so I really don't know what the problem is. I want BSL so badly, I'm supposed to be there already :wallbash:

Well, Im sorry your frustrated. I know that doesnt help. I have a few thoughts.

Maybe stretching your relaxers isnt good for your hair. My ends still have color on them and even though Im natural my hair does not like it. I have to constantly put something on my ends.

You may try something to help push you to your goal. I am trying to do a mixture of OCT/ the egg shake and chlorella to help boost my growth in the short term. I know in the long run nothing but sound nutrition well help but in the meantime why not see if the OCT works for me.

Good Luck

I'm in the same boat...I think APL is my final destination...it sucks because I just need a couple more inches but no..you think my hair cares what I want???

Maybe you should hide your hair with braids or under a weave for a few months. Maybe no manipulation will you retain so that you can finally make it over that hump?

It may not be BSL....but your hair is beautiful girl!

Thank you so much! This hair is something else,though. I hope that all the ladies reach their goal eventually..I set a hair goal for BSL Summer of 09 but now I shooting for the end of the year...I realized I just have to be patient.

Maybe you should hide your hair with braids or under a weave for a few months. Maybe no manipulation will you retain so that you can finally make it over that hump?
i agree :yep:. Whenever my hair is :stagnant", a good weave or braids for about 6 months get me over the hump:grin:

I think it could be the stretching. Maybe it's not good for your hair. Not everyone can stretch without damage.

...seems like you answered your own question. Your hair won't grow past APL because when you get to that length you start to suffer from breakage. You need to figure out why your hair is breaking. How is your hair while you sleep? How do you wear it most often?

If you have been experiencing breakage for a few months than I think you would benefit from changing some part of your regular routine.

Seeing as you know that your hair grows to APL even after your mum gets excited with the scissors...then you know that APL is not your final destination. What I have noticed is that when I get to APL I get a bit to excited in trying this and that style and this new thing to push it past APL and then this and that...somewhere in between there is the problem. If you want your hair to go past APL you will still have to be careful in protecting your ends and lo manipulation + keeping to what has worked for you with some added patience. Rather than think ; I am at APL so now I need this wonder potion to push me to BSL. What has worked to get you to APL can also work to get you to BSL. I am not permed so other ladies can also input on some tips on stretching in addition to the good things that have so far work for you....sorrry for the long speech :(

Good luck

maybe your using to much protein that could be whats messing up your hair i dont care what any1 says there is a thing as to much protein and it can really do a number on your hair all i can really say is up your moisturizing up x's10

Seeing as you know that your hair grows to APL even after your mum gets excited with the scissors...then you know that APL is not your final destination. What I have noticed is that when I get to APL I get a bit to excited in trying this and that style and this new thing to push it past APL and then this and that...somewhere in between there is the problem. If you want your hair to go past APL you will still have to be careful in protecting your ends and lo manipulation + keeping to what has worked for you with some added patience. Rather than think ; I am at APL so now I need this wonder potion to push me to BSL. What has worked to get you to APL can also work to get you to BSL. I am not permed so other ladies can also input on some tips on stretching in addition to the good things that have so far work for you....sorrry for the long speech :(

Good luck

What you said makes perfect sense :grin:

Back