Why the Mid-Protein Step 4 Relaxers?

africa

Hi Ladies,

So I've used relaxers that market mid protein steps (Affirm, Mizani) in the past. I have always followed up the relaxer immediately with neutralizing shampoo because I figured getting that caustic chemical out my hair ASAP was the best. I have always been skeptical of companies' claims that the conditioner can neutralize as well as the shampoo.

I am just curious for people who have done this, do you find it makes a difference in your hair?
OR
If you use relaxer systems and skip the mid-protein step why, do you skip it?

thanks in advance :)

thanks mizzdebi,

I've read the article b4. I was hoping some people would share their personal experiences. If you have tried this, what differences have you seen in your hair?

thanks mizzdebi,

I've read the article b4. I was hoping some people would share their personal experiences. If you have tried this, what differences have you seen in your hair?

I use mizani and I find that I don't shed as much after my relaxer and my hair isn't flat and lifeless.

Doing that step has prevented breakage. I have had much better results post-relaxer WITH that step than without.

I have fine hair and I notice that my hair is not as limp as it has been in the past and I have used both Mizani and affirm relaxers. I now also do it with box relaxers too.

Wow. That was Fascinating. I was Cringing reading the article... Because of very bad memories from the past....

Good luck to all the ladies that relax, you have all found great stylists. I was never that lucky.

It makes my hair much stronger. I usually complete this step each time I relax, but I was unable to do so with my last relaxer. I didn't have enough Aphogee 2 min. reconstructor to coat my hair. The past few weeks my hair has felt wierd and I think this is why. I've also introduced this to my mother and her hair is doing much better.

The mid-protein step really replaces what the relaxer takes out of you hair and seems to repair any potential damage from relaxer run off.

Wow...these sound like really great results. Ya'll have me considering changing my relaxer ways:lachen:.

mecee, if you noticed a difference after starting and stopping, it must REALLY be doing something good for your hair.

Yes, I definitely noticed a difference with the 'protein' step. My hair has more body in my hair as a result. I think it does try to get the PH under control and strengthen the strands from the relaxer process.

I used Vitale for many years, and would also skip that step because I didn't understand the purpose of it, until maybe 2 years ago. Since then, I won't relax without using it.

I think that is the reason I've retained more length (that, and stretching and deep conditioning often) and my relaxed hair is stronger than when I skipped that step.

I'm using Mizani BB right now and I never miss this step in the process.

Back