Why It's Important To Make a List of Qualities You Want in a Husband

BeautifulFlower

Why It's Important To Make a List of Qualities You Want in a Husband

by Courtney Mroch

In a previous article, one reader (Jade "The Muse" Walker) left the following comment:
Years ago, I wrote a list of all the qualities and characteristics I wanted "the one" to possess. It had the usual items: intelligent, romantic, ambitious, independent, honest, faithful, funny, etc. But I forgot one that is vital to a lasting relationship: Understanding.

If you plan to spend your life with someone, I highly recommend finding a partner who has this quality in spades. I also encourage everyone to develop it as well.

As usual, Jade's observations were not only astute but timely. It meshes well with the priest I wrote about and his list of five qualities a man must have for a woman to truly be happily matched.

Why a Checklist is Such a Good Idea
Jade is a perfect example of why it's a good thing to have a list of qualities you want in a mate. She and her beau enjoy a happy union, because she recognized in him the kind of man she wanted. And she knew that because she'd made a list of what it was she was looking for.
Jade's list was more specific about personality traits than the priest's. His was geared more to the general issues that make or break marriages.
But having a checklist, whether it's one like Jade's or one like the priest's, helps you define where you stand and what matters to you. This is crucial, because to paraphrase something the priest said during his interview, "Infatuation trumps judgment every time."

Your Heart Will Always Outwit Your Sensibilities
That's right. When it comes to matters of the heart, the heart always wins -whether it's reasonable or not.
Take for instance that most perplexing of all relationships: the ones we know, as outsiders, that were doomed to disaster from the get go.
"What is she thinking? Can't she see what a [PICK ONE: bum/bonehead/freak/jerk/other] he is?"
No. The expression "is blind" exists for a reason. Once those chemicals of desire, passion, and lust start churning (which can commonly be confused as "true love"), sense goes out the window.

Protection
But there is a way to protect yourself from making mistakes. With a list.
If you have that to refer to, you'll better be able to steer away from bad matches. Because it makes saying, "Buzz! Next contestant, please. You don't match up with my number two, three, and five must haves. We're not compatible," a whole easier.

Not Failsafe
Of course, no list is failsafe. Most people can talk themselves into anything.
"Okay, so he doesn't match up with my number two, three, and five must haves. But he's so [FILL IN THE BLANK WITH TRAIT OF YOUR CHOICE]. I can live without those other things, right?"
For a time you'll be able to. But not happily forever after.
So the true trick to all of this is to make your list and stick to it without compromising.

I like it. I think a woman should list all deal breakers first and subscribe to the 80/20 rule for the rest. Patty's book has a great chapter about how to construct these lists.

ETA: I have a 3 part list. Part one is my must haves or have nots. Part two is my strong preferences but not requires/red flags but not deal breakers. Part three is icing on the cake/ workable flaws

Last edited:
I like it. I think a woman should list all deal breakers first and subscribe to the 80/20 rule for the rest. Patty's book has a great chapter about how to construct these lists.

ETA: I have a 3 part list. Part one is my must haves or have nots. Part two is my strong preferences but not requires/red flags but not deal breakers. Part three is icing on the cake/ workable flaws

Me too.

I have a 5 part list.

6 Must haves - deal breakers
6 must not haves - deal breakers
10 very important - negotiable
unlimited wouldnt it be nice - icing on cake
5 envision "us doing this together" scenarios - do they fit in my lifestyle

I love my list. It makes things soooo clear. I no longer play the guessing or compromise game. I know what i want and i know what to look for

Me too.

I have a 5 part list.

6 Must haves - deal breakers
6 must not haves - deal breakers
10 very important - negotiable
unlimited wouldnt it be nice - icing on cake
5 envision "us doing this together" scenarios - do they fit in my lifestyle

I love my list. It makes things soooo clear. I no longer play the guessing or compromise game. I know what i want and i know what to look for
Oh I need to add this. Thanks:grin:

I have a 3 part list too!

Part one is core values, part two is deal breakers and part three is common interests that would be nice to have but not necessary.

Lists are great. I think when we don't know what we want there is a greater chance of settling for less than we deserve.

Thanks for posting.

I'm shocked to learn that most women don't do this. I thought everyone did it.

Same here. My friends and I have been doing this since high school.

It has been successful for me and I'm so grateful.

I think a lot of women are on a take-what-i-can-get type of mentality.

That's funny, I made a list last night. I made sure to focus on character and personality traits, and that I find him attractive. I really love what I came up with, and I'm 100% confident that this person exists.

I like the scenario idea...I'm adding that tonight.

I think I need to cut down my list again. lol

The first one I created years ago had 200 must have things. They weren't all physical. It included lifestyle, finances, character, family life, religion, etc. I was told that I was expecting too much, so I shortened it to 150 things.

My list is prioritized in order of importance. The first ten things are must haves. If a guy don't possess them, we don't progress to a second date.

My list is in Excel. lol I have a yes/no column, and I check off things as I find out more. Out of the last three guys that I dated, one had 90, the other had 130, and the last one had all 150. We didnt' work out for... um... interesting reasons.

I usually never mention my list to them, but I did to this one guy that I realize I wasn't interested in anyway. He thought it was silly, and my standards were too high. I don't think so at all. I believe I'm a prize, and I'm just not willing to settle. The end.

I made a list this year for the first time - mainly because I was NOT interested in dating before then.
Now I need to make it into deal makers, deal-breakers and icing on the top columns!
This will be fun!!! :lol:

Back