Why is my hair so cheap!!

Lava27

Honestly this should be a good thing, but I am having the hardest time realizing just how great all these cheapie drugstore/BSS products are! I'm still pretty new around here and working on finding staples, but when I started this journey I told myslef that my hair is important to me and I would spend as much money as it took to get it grwoing. I was determined. Money was not going to facotr into my hair buying (well within reason), so I really went for it! I have recently purchased many online condtioners (Oyin, Hairveda, Shecentit, Silicon Mix, Elucene, Miss Key) and well as tons of natural products (Giovani leave in and wash out conditioners, AO GPB and HSR) and other noted/ raved product lines (Joico, Redken,Kenra, Mizani (I was using before my journey already, and Ouidad (also using before). Also have bought numerous moisturizers, sealers and growth aides from online (Qhemet ,Hydratherma Naturals,Ojon,Komaza,Megatek, and BT)...honestly I could go on and on. I'll limit myself to not bore u guys to death. I feel like I've tried soooooo many things in such a short amount of time, and my hair really seems to LOVE the cheap, run-of-the-mill stuff!

Man, this is buming me out! On one hand, I'm super happy to realize that I most likely will be spending a lot less money on hair products in the furture than I had anticipated. But still, it made my hair feel "special" when I was balling out and spending money buying what I thought was "the best" stuff out there for it. So far, ORS pack and NTM Mask are some of the best conditioners ever. I also really like Banana brulee, but I'm not sure if I can honestly say it's better than these two. I just used NTM Mask for the first time tonite, and I cannot BELIEVE how great my hair feels. So soft it makes NO SENSE!:grin::grin: Seriously, I literally walked past this product in the drugstore for YEARS! Other cheap things my hair is loving are tea rinses, castor oil, trader joe nourish spa, queen helene cholesterol, aloe vera gel, and olive oil. These tea rinses are like protein treatments for me, so I guess I don't need to even buy Aphogee anymore!

Anyway, I'm still a PJ at heart, and I love to jump on the "hot" new product, so I will most likely always do this. But I know, deep down inside, my hair is a lot less extravagant than I am, and it seems to do just fine with the "regular stuff"...sigh

Last edited:
One more thing...I hope that I have not offended anyone. I know that ORS and NTM are not exactly "dirt cheap" products, and that for some they are pricey and not very economical. I'm only speaking relatively for myself, as someone who has always spent a lot of (too much) money on hair products. Compared to what I have spent in the past and recently, these products seem very inexpensive, but I know that it is truly relative.

A lot of hair products, just like skin products are overpriced and that's because people want good hair and good skin and will spend ****loads of money to achieve what they want. Man is greedy. Man takes advantage of other's weak spots and desperation. Some producers will make a product that works and charge accordingly - fair enough - they took time thinking about it, experimenting and proving the product is effective. They deserve to charge something for it. They did the work. Then others will think, 'aha! I could make money like they did, but I'll use cheaper ingredients and fillers, they that are desperate and have money will buy anyway'. Well, this is just me trying to analyse, lol, but alot of super expensive products out there don't deserve to be. I love the fact that the cheapest ingredients can be the most effective. I mean, coconut oil - dirt cheap in the tropics! Henna, neem - people can pick their own leaves and make something so potent for their skin and hair, it's not even funny. Aloe vera - grows like a weed where I originally come from. people don't use it like I would if I lived there now - they have a graze or a burn, they look for money and buy something from the chemist. I mean, we've become such a commercial society, it's just so easy to overlook the more effective, functional and cheaper (or freely available) products.

Save your money girl, be glad you're learning that the most expensive isn't necessarily the best.

I love my kitchen cupboard ingredients for hair - eggs, coconut oil, olive oil, avocado.... but I also know I need me some Aubrey products, and I'm thankful they exist for my convenience. Plus, there's some science to them, lol, so I'll happily use them knowing they are doing something. But buying just for the sake of buying? Naaaah, I've better things to do with my money. BUT, whatever rocks your boat babe! I hope you can be happy of the fact you don't have to fork out big for something that works though ;-).

That’s the thing that really shocked me. I worked out I spend (read wasting) £100 minimum a month on top of the range hair products. This month I decided to do my own relaxer and follow a few of the hair product recipes and have saved £80 and my hairs 10x healthier to boot.

Yes, since I have joined the forum I realized that one, things can be really cheap, two, I can use ordinary things around the house to take care of my hair. I love this forum! So educational!

Back