Why is My Hair Hard as a Rock When I Airdry...

vestaluv1

when I leave my hair out, but soft when I plait my hair in small box plaits before it dries.
I really don't want to have to pull out that hair dryer.:nono:

Are you using any leave-ins at all? If not, you should. It will keep the hair soft and moisturized as it dries (I air dry ALL the time). What I also do that helps me is to separate the hair gently with my fingers as it dries. So I'll gently rub the hair between my fingers so it doesn't stick together and get hard. I've never had problems with air drying when I do this, and I usually will flat iron after. I have some pics of it in my fotki and a video. In the video it seems like it's a lot of manipulation, but it's not, I'm being very gentle and using the pads of my fingers.:yep:

Are you using any leave-ins at all? If not, you should. It will keep the hair soft and moisturized as it dries (I air dry ALL the time). What I also do that helps me is to separate the hair gently with my fingers as it dries. So I'll gently rub the hair between my fingers so it doesn't stick together and get hard. I've never had problems with air drying when I do this, and I usually will flat iron after. I have some pics of it in my fotki and a video. In the video it seems like it's a lot of manipulation, but it's not, I'm being very gentle and using the pads of my fingers.:yep:

Yeah, I do use a leave in and I also moisturise and seal whilst my hair is damp.
Maybe I need to try the seperating method on your video and shake out my hair instead of just detangling. I'll try this. I feel it would probably work.
Great Fotki by the way. If you don't mind me asking, what heat protectant do you use b4 u flat iron.

I would say its your choice of products your using to airdry....I love airdrying but I can't use any type of leave-in's...And experimenting with oils coconut oil works best for me air drying.....

Do your leave ins have cones in them? I have heard they can make hair kinda crunchy after it has been airdryed...

Do your leave ins have cones in them? I have heard they can make hair kinda crunchy after it has been airdryed...

Yep...amodimethicone. (Gonna have to look into this). There's a whole load a paraben's too. Don't know how bad these are.

My hair used to come out stiff AND tangly when I air dried, but recently I've started cowashing and also changed the way I air dry.

When I get out of the shower, I gently blot dry my hair and then add some NTM Silk Touch leave in and tie my hair down with a silk/satin scarf. After awhile when the hair is damp but a bit drier, I add some more leave in, moisturizing in sections and adding some Seyani Hair Butter, and i smooth down the front of my edges with a boar bristle brush and tie my hair back down. If I know I'm gonna wear a ponytail for the week, I may put my hair in a pony and smooth down the edges.

Sometimes I'll braid it, but for the most part I do this and lately my hair has been tangle free and soft as ever. I've been debilitated for the last 3 weeks because of a very serious illness and this has been my staple style since then. I went from hating air drying to absolutely loving it.

Yep...amodimethicone. (Gonna have to look into this). There's a whole load a paraben's too. Don't know how bad these are.

I love cones....but they have a good and evil side...it builds up on hair ...Add a little baking soda to shampoo and it should remove the build-up from hair....

I love cones....but they have a good and evil side...it builds up on hair ...Add a little baking soda to shampoo and it should remove the build-up from hair....

To add...I now only hair dry my hair on the days I rinse with baking soda instead of pooing... I get much better results using the same products when I hair dryed after this method.

Back