Why is it harder for 4Bs to retain moisture?

melissa-bee

I thought it had less Cuticle layers than other hair types so it should be easier right? Or are the layers of Cuticles are what helps the moisture stay in?

I thought it was because the curlier the hair, the harder it is for sebum to travel the length of the hair.

Wait. What did I just say?

I thought it was because the curlier the hair, the harder it is for sebum to travel the length of the hair.

you right:yep:

maybe this is why it retains better when it is elongated by plaits or twist

I wish I knew... I've been struggling with dryness for the longest (I'm natural). I've been using Roux products and that has helped a bit. But still. A lot of $$ has gone into my hair just trying to find products that work and are inexpensive.

I wonder if 4bs co-wash/moisturize more regularly than other hair types? I can't get beyond a day without trying to compensate for my dryness

Okay, but some talk about putting moisture in their hair like 2 times a day.
For example I have both 4a and b in my hair and the b parts are always dry no matter what. But the a parts don't seem to get that dry.
I think perhaps the a parts seem a bit silkier, as opposed to coarse like the b parts.

I'd love to know the answer to this too....

I BC'd on 5/29/10, had my hair out for 5 days before weaving it up....I couldn't believe how dry my hair was! I felt like I needed to co-wash and seal everyday just to try to keep the moisture in.

I've been practicing everything I've learned so far on my 3 daughters' hair (they're 11, 10, and 3 and all natural). My 11 year old has EXTREMELY dry hair (she's a 4a/4b). Her hair has been responding well to Marc Anthony Strictly Curls conditioner, Kinky Curly Leave In, and shea butter to seal when I flat twist or braid. I also mist her braids/twists with a glycerin/water solution daily. This new regimen has immensely helped her moisture retention.

Look at me, only my 2nd post and I'm starting to sound like I know what I'm talking about :grin:

I have dry skin as well.:ohwell:

So, I am constantly 'seeking' highly moisturizing products for hair/skin.

I have built up my hair moisturizers and what I've been using, is keeping my hair (and NG) nice & soft & moisturized.

Regular Co-Washing and DC'ing (w/Heat Cap or Steamer) also helps quite a bit for me too.:grin:

I was under the impression that because we have less cuticle layers moisture escaped more easily. And that if we were 4B AND relaxed even more cuticle layers were stripped away making it even harder to retain moisture.

I completely eliminated my moisture retention problem by DCing more (with oil) and using Roux PC every time I wet my hair. I now also use Roux moisturizing shampoo.

I completely eliminated my moisture retention problem by DCing more (with oil) and using Roux PC every time I wet my hair. I now also use Roux moisturizing shampoo.

I Definitely Agree.:grin: This product totally locks in all the moisture that Co-Washing & DC'ing has put into my hair.

Helps hair's ability to attract and retain moisture.:yep:

The curlier your hair is the harder it is for it to retain moisture. Our hair's cuticle layers will never be completely closed because our hair has so many turns and bends in it. As a result moisture is able to slip out easily. This would also explain why people like to seal the moisture in with oils.

I don't know what is considered "dry". For me, dry hair is hard. Moisturized hair is soft.

I don't use any products when I'm braided or twisted. I don't use them because I don't feel I need them. My hair doesn't feel dry though, thanks to regular washing and conditioning and ACV rinsing, and baggying nightly. And my hair is soft, which is how I know when my hair is moisturized.

When I wear my hair out, I apply S Curl so I can comb it easily. I don't apply it any other day after wash day. I seem able to hold onto that wash day's moisture until the next wash day by baggying nightly. I've never understood the need to moisturize every day.

So I don't think it is retaining moisture that 4B fails at. What I think the story is with 4B (if you're not baggying) is that sebum doesn't get very far up the strand due to the kinks; so that this hair, out of all the others, is one that does need supplementation from the outside (whether from conditioning or leave-ins) than any other type in order not to be dry. I think 4B's tendency to stand up too rather than hang, doesn't encourage sebum to travel up the strand so yes, we need help in moisturizing. But once we do, unless our hair is highly porous, or we're in really hot weather, we really shouldn't have trouble keeping the moisture in our hair.

Yep. people with 4b type hair tend to produce less sebum so we don't get as much benefit of oil from the scalp traveling to the hair length to moisturize it.

I was under the impression that because we have less cuticle layers moisture escaped more easily. And that if we were 4B AND relaxed even more cuticle layers were stripped away making it even harder to retain moisture.

I agree w/this. I thought my hair was coarse and did not retain moisture. It turned out the problems was my products and treatment of my hair. I was using drying shampoos and not DCing enough. I also found that my hair had a porosity issue. Currently I use porosity control every couple months to correct my porosity (when used too frequently my hair started shedding like crazy). I condition regularly and have found that my hair does best when I DC w/a cap and leave some of the condish in my hair. I now have no issue keeping my hair moisturized. I don't even have to moisturize daily. I also have stopped using heat for the past year and my hair feels soooo much better; I only plan to use heat for length checks now.

Last edited:
It isn't hard if you minimize oil and cut back on product. Everyone's scalp produces the amount of sebum the hair needs - the body is smart like that. But if you use too much product then you block your scalp from secreting what your hair needs. Also the strand shape doesn't matter. If you feel that sebum isn't traveling enough on it's own help it along. Massage your scalp and then pull your fingers through your hair, also you can rub your ends against your scalp - this should be done gently of course not in a rough manner so as to produce tangles.

I don't know what is considered "dry". For me, dry hair is hard. Moisturized hair is soft.

:yep::yep::yep: When my hair is dry, it gets hard and almost crunchy.

I tend to moisturize daily because I can't baggy for heck. After about half an hour to two hours my scalp begins to itch profusely, regardless to what is or isn't on/in it. :sad: But once it's happy, I can skip a day or two. I mostly do it out of habit and because I lose less hair this way.

btw I love your posts :) :yep:

I don't use any products when I'm braided or twisted. I don't use them because I don't feel I need them. My hair doesn't feel dry though, thanks to regular washing and conditioning and ACV rinsing, and baggying nightly. And my hair is soft, which is how I know when my hair is moisturized.

When I wear my hair out, I apply S Curl so I can comb it easily. I don't apply it any other day after wash day. I seem able to hold onto that wash day's moisture until the next wash day by baggying nightly. I've never understood the need to moisturize every day.

So I don't think it is retaining moisture that 4B fails at. What I think the story is with 4B (if you're not baggying) is that sebum doesn't get very far up the strand due to the kinks; so that this hair, out of all the others, is one that does need supplementation from the outside (whether from conditioning or leave-ins) than any other type in order not to be dry. I think 4B's tendency to stand up too rather than hang, doesn't encourage sebum to travel up the strand so yes, we need help in moisturizing. But once we do, unless our hair is highly porous, or we're in really hot weather, we really shouldn't have trouble keeping the moisture in our hair.

I find that my hair is soft and kind of cool to the touch when properly moisturized. When it is dry it doesn't behave right, it won't curl and it's kind of rough.

Yeah, no matter what I do, it is dry. It has been the MAIN reason why I cannot retain length.

Me too. And then I discovered stretching with juicing and growth aids. It's important that I do all those 3 things.. 11 weeks into this stretch my hair is thriving. :dance7:

I agree w/this. I thought my hair was coarse and did not retain moisture. It turned out the problems was my products and treatment of my hair. I was using drying shampoos and not DCing enough. I also found that my hair had a porosity issue. Currently I use porosity control every couple months to correct my porosity (when used too frequently my hair started shedding like crazy). I condition regularly and have found that my hair does best when I DC w/a cap and leave some of the condish in my hair. I now have no issue keeping my hair moisturized. I don't even have to moisturize daily. I also have stopped using heat for the past year and my hair feels soooo much better; I only plan to use heat for length checks now.

I noticed that too. Once I understood how to get moisture in the hair and keep it there, daily moisturizing became unnecessary. I only sealed the last 1 inch of my hair ends nightly because of friction issues. Other than that, my hair would stay soft and moist for days.

Yeah, no matter what I do, it is dry. It has been the MAIN reason why I cannot retain length.

Tell us about your hair-texture, chemical use, environment, etc; and what you've already tried. Maybe we can offer some helpful solutions.

I find that my hair is soft and kind of cool to the touch when properly moisturized. When it is dry it doesn't behave right, it won't curl and it's kind of rough.

^^ :yep: Same here.

Lately I've been able to go a few days between moisturising and sealing too, but this is down to me moisturising and sealing with my AOHC and keeping my head wrapped up alot of the time (type of greenhouse effect). I can't baggy, I sweat like crazy in my head.

In addition, the air--whether it's hot or cold--is responsible for drying out our hair. This makes it hard, then it breaks. That's why it's necessary to oil it from the roots to the ends--especially the ends, to retain length. I learned this should be done once or twice a day.

Protective styles--keeping the ends tucked in most of the time--keeps the ends from drying out and breaking off.

Normal shedding is expected, though.

Back