Why Is It BAD to use OIL when PRESSING/FLAT IRONING?

Yeah. The info here is good and I will cut back on the oils. But until I see breakage or my hair stops retaining its length, I'll keep my almond oil:)

what can i say, I'm a hopeless oil addict!!!!:ohwell:

Hmm....I don't think I can give up coconut oil either. I have not straightened my hair in over a year but I remember using virgin coconut oil (used along with a pressing créme) and it gave me the lightest, most silkiest press ever! Better than regular "grease." I've tried a straigthening serum from Kenra and after blowdrying, the ends of my hair were crunchy and dry. I've also used John Frieda's Wind Down Relax Créme-works very well and it also has silicones. I would try using something like that along with a little of the coconut oil because I don't think I will stop using the coconut oil all together.

navsegda said:
I have my hair divided into 4 sections and then I use a quarter-sized amount on each section. I usually wait until the hair has already dried before applying it but I've used it in the past on wet hair and still had really great results.

Thanks. Funny thing is, is that i already did my hair before I read this post, and I did exactly what you did except, I did air dry with it, and you're right, the results still came out wonderful!! Thanx for introducing LHCF to CHI silk infus.!!!!!

Taij said:
Awwwww mannnn!!!!!:perplexed Well back to the drawing board. So does Paul Mitchell or Aveda have a good leave in?

I love my almond oil!!! Right now I'm using Paul Mitchell "The Conditioner" as a leave in but I still add a good amount of almond oil before that. Oh well.
Maybe I'll try silk therapy or something.

I don't get it. If my hair looks good, feels good, growing and retaining length is it that bad?

If your hair looks and feels good and you are retaining length ... please keep doing what you are doing. Not everything works the same for everyone.

Even though myself and others have been singing the praises of CHI Silk Infusion since it was put out on the shelves in 2005 (:lol: ), not everyone will get the same results. Do what works for you. :)

I have been on this and other boards for several years and have seen so many products hyped up and then you don't hear anything about them for a long time (ex. LUST, Feria, etc. ... all the old heads know about these:lol: ) because another one takes it's place. What I have learned is that I can't possibly expect for every product rave to work for me.

I raved about the Silk Infusion and absolutely love it only because it does something for my hair that I haven't seen other products do. BUT, that doesn't mean that it's going to do the same for everyone. :)

Don't change if what you are doing works. :)

LiLi said:
If your hair looks and feels good and you are retaining length ... please keep doing what you are doing. Not everything works the same for everyone.

Even though myself and others have been singing the praises of CHI Silk Infusion since it was put out on the shelves in 2005 (:lol: ), not everyone will get the same results. Do what works for you. :)

I have been on this and other boards for several years and have seen so many products hyped up and then you don't hear anything about them for a long time (ex. LUST, Feria, etc. ... all the old heads know about these:lol: ) because another one takes it's place. What I have learned is that I can't possibly expect for every product rave to work for me.

I raved about the Silk Infusion and absolutely love it only because it does something for my hair that I haven't seen other products do. BUT, that doesn't mean that it's going to do the same for everyone. :)

I remember those. That and blackstrap molasses

My hair is natural and I haven't flat ironed my hair in almost 3 years. The last time i did, my hair wouldn't revert back to it's curly state. I plan on getting it straightened today and here are the steps: Wash and deep condition, apply CHI Silk Infusion and then sit under dryer until dry, apply phyto defrissant and then flat iron. Can someone please tell me if this is good?

Okay I'm seriously thinking about booting the lady that gave me my last relaxer...she blow dried my hair and sprayed it with wonder 8 oil...I need some advice from my LHCF peeps. I know it bad but can someone confirm "She f'd up by using the oil?" She didn't flat iron but she sho nuff used Wonder 8 oil.

I totally agree and think that hair texture/thickness plays a big part too. My fine natural hair is less resilient to heat and chemicals than, say my sister's thick natural hair that can withstand any kind of abuse and still grow.

I definitely agree though with the fact that using oil to press your hair is bad for the hair, and ever since I originally read this thread I have stopped completely using oils before using heat, indirect or direct, to mine or anyone else's hair. I strongly believe that my hair breakage during the years I used direct heat attributed to my frequent use of oils before blow drying, and sometimes even before flat ironing/pressing. And I blame a lot of websites that instruct how to press hair because most mention the use of oil. Well after years of breakage I will never use anything that contains oils before pressing hair again.

I've been experimenting with pressing products on people's hair, and so far very good results! The natural and relaxed hair presses really well and stays straight! I'll then spritz their hair with an oil spray or just with a serum and the hair will shine as if I used oil before pressing. I highly recommend nixing oil from the routine and only using oil for setting the style or on your ends at night; there are just too many options out there to have to stick to oil. But like Lili said, whatever works for you.

WOW, this is really good information. I wish I was aware of this before. I don't think that I would have had near the amount of dryness and damage that I have. I am going to try this for a while and see how my hair reacts. Thank you ladies!!! God bless you!!!!!

I totally agree and think that hair texture/thickness plays a big part too. My fine natural hair is less resilient to heat and chemicals than, say my sister's thick natural hair that can withstand any kind of abuse and still grow.

I definitely agree though with the fact that using oil to press your hair is bad for the hair, and ever since I originally read this thread I have stopped completely using oils before using heat, indirect or direct, to mine or anyone else's hair. I strongly believe that my hair breakage during the years I used direct heat attributed to my frequent use of oils before blow drying, and sometimes even before flat ironing/pressing. And I blame a lot of websites that instruct how to press hair because most mention the use of oil. Well after years of breakage I will never use anything that contains oils before pressing hair again.

I've been experimenting with pressing products on people's hair, and so far very good results! The natural and relaxed hair presses really well and stays straight! I'll then spritz their hair with an oil spray or just with a serum and the hair will shine as if I used oil before pressing. I highly recommend nixing oil from the routine and only using oil for setting the style or on your ends at night; there are just too many options out there to have to stick to oil. But like Lili said, whatever works for you.

I have done this, also. It has helped my hair much. Now, I have to work on my thinning edges from flat ironing. :wallbash: At least I've accomplished something, though. My hair has grown an inch since then, which is very much to me. Sillicones are my friends. :yep:

Oils (not grease) have always been good for my hair when heat styling. I cant read this whole thread I just cant see it as bad when its sooo sooo good! :giggle:

Last edited:
Okay...so I know cones and silk proteins are good for protecting hair when using heat.

But I remember someone saying that using oil was bad because it causes some part of the hair shaft to boil or something scientific like that. Can Navs, Sistaslik, anyone explain to me why using straight oil is bad?

Anybody ever use sweet almond oil or any other natural oil alone consistently over time with good results?

Just curious...since I am in Bootcamp...I have nothing better to do than PONDER heat regimens, regiments, regimes :lol:

:lachen:at the bolded.....there was a thread about that on BHM....
I think that the whole Idea is not to fry our hair... so oils and heat elements shouldn't mix... hey........ but that is one opinion.

Rumor has it that Grapeseed oil has a higher 'frying' point - so It may be safer - but I think one is taking a risk with lots of oil and lots of heat....:look:

WOW!! Thank you to whoever bumped this thread! I've used coconut oil for flatironing my hair on 3 occassions! It couldve been diastrous!

I'm going to Ulta on Sat and now I know exactly what to buy, a Chi heat protectant! Maybe Biosilk too. I'll never use any oil again except when I wear my hair curly.

WOW!! Thank you to whoever bumped this thread! I've used coconut oil for flatironing my hair on 3 occassions! It couldve been diastrous!

I'm going to Ulta on Sat and now I know exactly what to buy, a Chi heat protectant! Maybe Biosilk too. I'll never use any oil again except when I wear my hair curly.

Biosilk has a high alcohol content... Just an FYI.:drunk:

Oh My Word. I'm so glad I read this thread. I sometimes have left over oil from my DCing. I know when I've used too much oil because my hair doesn't move freely. I had no idea I was frying it. :burning:

With my hair natural, I HAVE to use some kind of silk serum, or shea butter oil to flat iron with. I HAVE to or my hair will not get straight. Before when I would flat iron as relaxed, I would just wash my hair, blow dry, and flat iron. NO product. Not only does flat ironing dry on my natural hair sounds like its breaking my hair (there's no slide), it doesn't get the ends straight AT all.

My hair has shine when I flat iron, and I'm a flat iron junkie, I basically depend on it for my natural short hair style, but I try not to get in a habit of doing it too much. I can't really wrap my hair because its too short, so I lose my curl alot, and my hair is too short for rollers, and the rollers that are small leave a too tight curl. I'm still looking for an alternative to heat.

okay I've been reading some of the post, I guess I'll just use a silk serum, I don't like biosilk, and I really don't like CHI but if I have to buy it again to keep from "frying" my hair I guess I will!

okay I've been reading some of the post, I guess I'll just use a silk serum, I don't like biosilk, and I really don't like CHI but if I have to buy it again to keep from "frying" my hair I guess I will!

That is exactly what I think the thread is saying to do. You don't have to use Chi though (I like it myself). She mentions several others...one by Nexxus and another by Garnier...

this is exactly the thread I was looking for!

I was about to ask the question, then I heard MSA in my head saying, "Did you do a search."

I did a search and this perfect thread popped up. I want to straighten for a length check and to clip my ends. I have a history of professionals heat damaging my natural hair. I don't want that again..this is very helpful/

this is exactly the thread I was looking for!

I was about to ask the question, then I heard MSA in my head saying, "Did you do a search."

I did a search and this perfect thread popped up. I want to straighten for a length check and to clip my ends. I have a history of professionals heat damaging my natural hair. I don't want that again..this is very helpful/
Thanks for bumping this thread! This is the fifth time this week I'm hearing: lighten up on the oil. I've always flat ironed with oils, so this time I'll try it with my serum instead.

I flat ironed my daughter's hair yesterday and used virgin coconut oil, I was contemplating between that and some serum, but her hair is so fine I worried about the serum weighing down her hair. The coconut oil gave her such a lovely silky finish, but I think I'll have to rethink using the oil on her hair in the future.

Awesome info by navs in the beginning of this thread. I can't use serums because of the long term drying effects. And I LOVES me some oils. So I mostly do without heat. I have my hair washed and flat ironed at the salon maybe 2 or 3 times a month. I always have the oil applied after the flat ironing is done.

Back