Why I can't stretch...

GraceV

I'm sort of discouraged right now. I had planned to stretch for as long as possible but my edges are not cooperating. They are the reason why I have never been able to stretch beyond 16 weeks. I am currently at about 13 weeks and they already look a HAM.

I have tried relaxing that part of my hair only at alternate sessions but that didn't help. I always apply relaxer to that part last. I have tried castor oil, which seems to have brought some marginal improvement BUT the hair just breaks at the line of demarcation. It is so sparse compared to the rest of my hair.

I don't know what else to do. I wear a bun 90% of the time and I try rotating my parting so the edges get a break. I use a satin scarf, satin pillowcase, don't pull too tightly on the edges. No gel.

I'm too through with this stuff. I'm going to relax in a few minutes. So much for stretching beyond 12 weeks.

RANT over.

ETA: I'm at my wit's end right now. Isn't stretching supposed to HELP the edges? WHY is it killing my edges?

Last edited:
You have to be a little old school with the edges - water and grease. Don't actually use grease but you get my drift! I use my heavy moisturizer by Keracare or mizani and a spritz, brush it back and then tie a scarf around my head. That usually makes it lay flat for a day or two.

I wouldn't worry. I don't think is stretching (more than 2.5 months) is for everyone. For me, I lose more hair attempting to comb my 16 week post hair than I do when I stretch for 12 weeks. I think 12 weeks is a long enough time and would shift my focus to healthier relaxing practices. You hair will tell you what it needs.

As far as your edges go, any hair can be tamed with the right products and tools. I always go with some edge control product followed by a satin scarf. Have you tried any of edge control products? ORS makes a great one!

You have to be a little old school with the edges - water and grease. Don't actually use grease but you get my drift! I use my heavy moisturizer by Keracare or mizani and a spritz, brush it back and then tie a scarf around my head. That usually makes it lay flat for a day or two.
I need to find something for these edges. I thought castor oil would cut it but I need it and something else! I guess the pj in me is excited about shopping for more products.

I wouldn't worry. I don't think is stretching (more than 2.5 months) is for everyone. For me, I lose more hair attempting to comb my 16 week post hair than I do when I stretch for 12 weeks. I think 12 weeks is a long enough time and would shift my focus to healthier relaxing practices. You hair will tell you what it needs.

As far as your edges go, any hair can be tamed with the right products and tools. I always go with some edge control product followed by a satin scarf. Have you tried any of edge control products? ORS makes a great one!

You are SO RIGHT. I was hoping to hit 20 weeks but I guess my hair is telling me otherwise. ALSO I must confess that I could improve my relaxer application technique. I'm good with the other areas but I tend to overlap with the edges cos the hair is so much shorter than the rest of my hair.

I'm going to look into getting some products just for my edges.

I appreciate you ladies. I think I really do need to focus on what may be the real issues beside stretching.

Stretching ain't for everyone or for every hair type. I know that's a sin to say to on the board :look:. I understand that some use wigs, weaves, etc as a protective style during their stretch, but for those that don't it's very difficult to stretch for months on end. There are plenty benefits I see to stretching, but if it comes w/ the expense of being unable to manage my hair and my new growth - I don't know if it's worth it.

I've never read about anyone who was made fun of or cursed out cos she didn't stretch her relaxer applications. We are here to support each other and if you are not able to stretch as long as most ladies, no one will care. If you cannot go beyond a certain amount of time, that's fine. Do what works for you :)

Yeah, my edges are on a completely different touch up schedule than the rest of my hair... and my nape is on yet another separate schedule from my edges and he rest of my hair. I've also traded in the satin scarf and pillowcase combo for a satin bonnet and pillowcase combo. I'm convinced that the pressure and tension from using the scarf nightly was causing more trouble with my edges and nape than the relaxer.

You know, I have the same issue... my edges are getting a LITTLE better but if I go a long time w/o relaxing I can almost guarantee that my relaxed edges will break no matter what i do... it's so annoying...

Back