Why I am learning to do my own hair

chellero

Wife Supremacist
I joined this forum so that I could learn to do my own hair, and hopefully grow it out some. A few months ago I had shoulder length thick healthy texturized 4a hair. I went to my hair stylist, who is also my husband's cousin, and she wrecked it. First, she put relaxer on my previously texurized ends, giving me hair that is too straight for an aridry. Then she pulled a lot of it out while detangling it with a small toothed comb and a weird plastic brush thing after I had just removed some kinky twists. Now my hair is several different textures, thin on the ends, and short in several places. I can't very well go to another stylist when this one is family, and I see her at least once a week outside of the salon, so here I am learning to do my own hair, and hoping that I can grow thick, healthy long hair.

Welcome Chellero! :wave:

There is a wealth of information here. Take your time and sift through it. You do not have to be a slave to stylists anymore.:)

Welcome, sista. Trust me, I feel your pain. But you WILL get all the help you need here! Just browse through and ASK for help :p

I second this. Whatever the subject is, someone here will know something about it or they will be able to at least point you in the right direction.

I'm sorry that you had this bad hair experience. You can definitely learn how to do your own hair and keep it healthy.

I know that you think you can't go to another stylist b/c you don't want to start drama in the family. But I would pull her aside and tell her what she did to your hair. I would be calm but firm. You should tell her that you will be spending the next few months getting your hair back to where you want it to be (which you should) and then after that time if you feel comfortable w/ someone else doing your hair just go to someone else. You don't have to feel tied to her b/c she's family.

ETA: welcome to the forum!!!! :D

This is how I found the forum...after a bad visit to my stylist I was totally fed up. You'll find everything you need plus some here!! Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions, all the ladies here are nice and full of knowledge.

Back