why dosent my hair stay wet?

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I am so confused. one of the main reasons i texturized is so my hair could absorb water more easily. but it doesnt.whether im natural or texturized prouducts just sit on my hair. I cleanse frequently with bakingsoda & conditioner or shampoo to prevent build up and it still dosent. It only is wet when i am directly under the showerhead. as soon as i remove it my hair feels halfway dry.(not dry as in crispy but dry as in not wet)

i think salt might be helping because my hair can be smoothed down with conditioner.(something that never happened before) but my hair turns white and the waves vanish when dry.

Should I stop trying? Any tips or suggestions?

Last edited:
i had a similar problem when I texturized and from my personal experience, texturizers don't help you retain moisture or water in one's hair.

i had a similar problem when I texturized and from my personal experience, texturizers don't help you retain moisture or water in one's hair.

I learned this a few months too late! lol but its ok. Im trying to love my natural texture even more this time around so i dont go crazy when i cut the ends off. its difficult for me though...

yup ive tried plenty of clarifying shampoos. its just not working. :o/ I posted earlier that i cleanse regularly to avoid "clarifying" questions. I think i might just give up.

That's strange.

Maybe you need to chelate. What kind of relaxer did you use?

Maybe the products that you are using aren't the best type for your hair...

My hair is texturzed and it's always nicely moisturized. It "gets wet" more than my natural hair.

Try something for your porosity, like Porosity Control, or a mild vinegar rinse to close the cuticle of your hair. From what I understand, baking soda opens the cuticle and will let moisture in, but you still need to close the cuticle back to keep the moisture in.

My bad, I didn't catch earlier that you were using a clarifying shampoo, just baking soda, conditioner and shampoo.

Maybe try rinsing your hair with diluted baking soda rinses or diluted vinegar rinses. Also, I would read threads about "Roux Porosity Control." HTH

Ive tried everything you have reccomended so far. i used acv rinses and roux porosity control. acv just made my bathroom stink and i got in trouble for that. and roux porosity control made my hair tangle like the dickens.. ive used both CON porosity control and roux and they both had the same tangly effect for me.(con made my hair have mattes which i had to cut out) i hate them.

Sounds like your hair is porous. The moisture escapes quickly because the little pores on your hair cuticle are open. Try DC'in with some Porosity Control after you DC. Lemon or Vinegar water will also close pores, but if your hair is porous, it will feel dry to the touch.

I actually thought my hair wasnt very porous at all. I tried oils and butter but they just sit on my hair in little beads. i feel my hair hates most oils & butters except elasta qp mango butter. Just to clear up a few things: my hair is not dry as in crispy and breaking off. it is dry as in not being damp. when i see ofthers damp hair the hair migrated south and it shiny. my hair looks fuzzy and stands up. it is very softh to the touch. it wont kill me if it never does. i think it might just be a charecteristic of my hair

also this occured both when i was fully natural and now when im transitioning from that crappy texturizer.

I actually thought my hair wasnt very porous at all. I tried oils and butter but they just sit on my hair in little beads. i feel my hair hates most oils & butters except elasta qp mango butter. Just to clear up a few things: my hair is not dry as in crispy and breaking off. it is dry as in not being damp. when i see ofthers damp hair the hair migrated south and it shiny. my hair looks fuzzy and stands up. it is very softh to the touch. it wont kill me if it never does. i think it might just be a charecteristic of my hair

also this occured both when i was fully natural and now when im transitioning from that crappy texturizer.

Thats weird, well I noticed my wet hair without oil dries faster, my wet hair with oil stays moist:yep:

Napp, it sounds like you're clarifying your hair too often. Maybe you should cut down on that.

What is your regimen? Are you using a quality dc?

What is the result of your float test?

It sounds like your hair is overly porous. The fact that you using baking soda which has a high pH makes me believe that you are not closing your cuticles.

I wish I could help you. If you twist or braid your hair does it still dry as quickly? I find that braids/twists help hold in moisture. I have never heard of hair that dries so quickly, I have such a time getting my hair to dry, like 12 hours later my hair can still feel almost soaking wet sometimes. I really hope someone can help you resolve this issue or who knows maybe it's not a problem since your hair otherwise appears healthy and soft, idk but I hope you get the advice you need.

I did the water test. the tight coil floated and the medium and large coils the ends sunk halfway but the part near the root(NG) floated. is the sinking bad? I havent done it in so long because my hair usally just floated...

The sinking means your hair is porous. I also think you're using a high pH product too much (baking soda) and leaving your cuticles open therefore making strands lose moisture fast. How much ACV did you use to make your b/r stink? That could also be a problem as too much acidity (low PH) can damage proteins in your hair. I say DC with a plastic cap, then rinse with distilled water. Baggy for the night. I don't know what leave-in you use, but I find less is more, and using S-Curl activator spray on hair that has nothing else on it, not only keeps my hair soft but also moist. All I need do is baggy for the night, style in the day. The application I do after a wash and then later when my hair is dry lasts me several days. Perhaps you could try that?

Just a little bit of info that might shed some light:

Porosity

In a normal, undamaged hair shaft, very little water can get either into or out of the cortex. This is because the cuticle covering the cortex is intact, and is then almost (but not quite) waterproof. Shampoos do not damage the cuticle. When hair is permed or tinted, however, the chemicals have to penetrate the cortex in order to react with the keratin inside it. Increasing the temperature, or applying an alkaline lotion, separates the scales of the cuticle enough to allow the chemicals to pass through. After the processing is finished the scales gradually close up again.
But if hair is processed too many times the cuticle scales may never return to their original tightness and the protection they once offered is lost. The cuticle can also be damaged in the same way by too much blow drying, curling irons that are too hot, and the effects of wind and sun. The hair becomes increasingly porous, and water can then pass in and out of the cortex.
Over-porous hair is dry, and tends to develop split ends. The damaged cuticle is fragile, and the damage worsens as time goes by. The greater the damage, the more the cortex swells with water whenever the hair is washed, but the more water it loses when it dries. The repeated wetting and drying of the cortex gradually weakens the hair.
http://www.pg.com/science/haircare/hair_twh_34.htm

my hair didnt stink from the acv its the bathroom that stunk. i think it got on the shower curtains. Im not too sure about the porosity thing because ive used acv, and porosity control items to make my hair act right to no avail. and after letting the hair sit for a while all the hair is floating now. does that mean anything?
I mean if i put in conditioner and water my hair gets heavy but just water just bounces off. I could get the porosity issue for my texturized hair but it dosent make sense that my natural hair acted this way too. i will try the vinegar thing again though since its the cheapest.I just recently gave away my porosity control as well. can i use white vinegar instead?

Your hair sounds like mine, shrivels up when I step out from under the streaming water. To try to keep some moisture in my hair, I do not even towel blot my hair. I step out of the shower, my hair shrivels up a bit and looks halfway dry. I then apply leave-in conditioner on my wet hair (halfway wet at least).

I am so confused. one of the main reasons i texturized is so my hair could absorb water more easily. but it doesnt.whether im natural or texturized prouducts just sit on my hair. I cleanse frequently with bakingsoda & conditioner or shampoo to prevent build up and it still dosent. It only is wet when i am directly under the showerhead. as soon as i remove it my hair feels halfway dry.(not dry as in crispy but dry as in not wet)

i think salt might be helping because my hair can be smoothed down with conditioner.(something that never happened before) but my hair turns white and the waves vanish when dry.

Should I stop trying? Any tips or suggestions?

co-signing with the issue prob being your porosity. When i'm havng issues i either use it straight or mixed with in a conditioner cocktail; does the trick!

Back