Why Does My Hair Get Matted If I Moisturize It In Braids?

imsovain

When my hair is in cornrows, if I mist it with a spray bottle mixture the hair gets matted. Why?

I wear wigs , so my hair is always in braids and plaits and I oil spray it, which my hair loves. I want to spray with moisture too!:cry3:

Do you find your hair does not get matted when you moisturize in other situations? Frequent moisturizing always causes my hair to tangle or, eventually, mat. Because hair shrinks up more when wet, tangling more. It's why Im the rare person who doesn't believe in moisturizing my hair all the time; I get bad results. I moisturize once, at most twice, in between washes, when I also detangle.

But as a rule, I notice less matting and tangling in braids than anything else, because they hair can move around less.

Not 100% sure. With my hair when it dries stretched and then wet it again, the hair curls up. My shed hair tends to travel up to my roots versus coming out at the ends. So between my shorter shrinking up and my shed hairs traveling upward, this tends to lead to tangles and excess hair at my roots.

Also because I may not moisturize often and my hair is a bit dehydrated, my hair webs at the roots more or the hair sticks together more. So add the shedding and the shrinkage to the webbing and it becomes worse.

Thanks!

I doesn’t happen at other times, but it does seem that when I moisturize braids with a spray it gets webbed at the roots only. It never occurred to me that not everyone can spray moisture on braided hair. ‍♀️ I braid it after washing when it’s still damp with no problem, so maybe I just need to unbraid, spray damp and rebraid in between washes. I’ll try that.

Back